View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Ravens and 46 defense: A perfect match 
Modmin Dude

Post Ravens and 46 defense: A perfect match
http://nfl.com/news/story/8564100

I'm not that familiar with the 46 defense, is it something that the Lions might want to use a little of? Do we have the right personell? I know that we're not setup to run the 3-4, but I was just wondering about the 46....Thanks in advance

Wags

June 15th, 2005, 4:56 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I know a little about it.. and what I do know is that it's a good defense to stop the run however it does leave your secondary a little more vulnerable. I think we have the players avail to run such an animal.

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 15th, 2005, 5:06 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

It was Buddy Ruyan's defense on the 1985 Bears. As far as I know no one uses it in a pure form any more. The Titans ran it part of the time in the recent past. It went out of favor in the early 1990s as the cover 2 became the fad. Basically it is very aggressive defense with only one safety playing back. I am not sure how it would work with all the talent at the WR position and the coverage rules, but I think you would need one great cover corner to make it work. I guess Baltimore figures they have that in Neon Dion. Alexander probably is not fast enough to man cover a speed receiver the whole game.

June 15th, 2005, 7:17 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Here is a brief description of how the Ravens will work the X and O's according to their personnel.

http://ravens.scout.com/2/381655.html

It would seem that the Lions would beat this defense by having Pollard and Mike Williams beat the safety one-on-one. The Ravens' ability to mix their coverage and play the 4-3 and 3-4 would be crucial. Otherwise Joey would have an easy completion to either. If the blitz was hung up he could try fade routes to RW and C Rog especially in the red zone.

June 15th, 2005, 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]