View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Jonnie Morton now a 49er 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Jonnie Morton now a 49er
OSTED: 7:47 pm PDT June 21, 2005
SANTA CLARA -- Receiver Johnnie Morton agreed to a two-year contract Tuesday with the San Francisco 49ers, who finally added a veteran wideout to one of the NFL's least impressive receiving corps.
Morton, an 11-year pro, spent the last three seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, who released him June 2 after Morton refused to take a cut in his $3 million salary. He spent his first eight seasons with the Detroit Lions, recording four 1,000-yard campaigns.
The move reunites Morton with Niners receivers coach Jerry Sullivan, who was Morton's position coach for four seasons in Detroit.
"The main attraction for me coming here is coach Jerry Sullivan," Morton said. "He taught me to be a complete receiver. ... He is the one I owe my career to. He taught me everything I know."
Morton could be an immediate starter for the lowly 49ers, who parted ways with Cedrick Wilson and Curtis Conway after going 2-14 last season. Morton joins Brandon Lloyd, Arnaz Battle and tight end Eric Johnson as the top targets for Tim Rattay and No. 1 draft pick Alex Smith.
Morton said he could serve as almost a secondary coach because of his experience in the league and with Sullivan.
"I would guess that I have more playing experience than all the other receivers combined because they are so young," Morton said. "If the other guys have questions, I can answer them. There will be situations in games and practices where I can pass my experience on to them."
Morton said he was in contact with a few teams since being let go by Kansas City but was attracted to the 49ers because of their illustrious history.
"You walk into the facility and see the five Lombardi trophies and five Super Bowl rings," he said. "Even though they've had a temporary setback, talking to people you get the feeling that they are on the way back to prominence."
Morton has caught 603 passes for 8,431 yards and 43 touchdowns in his career.
"Johnnie is our kind of guy," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "He is a hardworking professional who will be a great example to our young receivers."
Copyright 2005 by KTVU.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

June 22nd, 2005, 12:37 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

The San Fran area is beautiful, what a great place to finish his career.

Don't forget to see Yosemite while your ther Johnnie, It will be the highlight of your stay.

Be safe, we still love you in Motown.

June 22nd, 2005, 1:21 am
Hall of Fame Player

I think SF will be a good place for him to play out the rest of his career. This will be a good move for him.

Good Luck Johnnie!!

Quote:
Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Niners sign former Lion Morton to two-year deal

By Josh Dubow / Associated Press - Via Detroit Free Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- Receiver Johnnie Morton agreed to a two-year contract Tuesday with the San Francisco 49ers, who finally added a veteran wideout to one of the NFL's least impressive receiving corps.

Morton, an 11-year pro, spent the last three seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs, who released him June 2 after Morton refused to take a cut in his $3 million salary. He spent his first eight seasons with the Detroit Lions, recording four 1,000-yard campaigns.

The move reunites Morton with Niners receivers coach Jerry Sullivan, who was Morton's position coach for four seasons in Detroit.

"The main attraction for me coming here is coach Jerry Sullivan," Morton said. "He taught me to be a complete receiver. ... He is the one I owe my career to. He taught me everything I know."

Morton could be an immediate starter for the lowly 49ers, who parted ways with Cedrick Wilson and Curtis Conway after going 2-14 last season. Morton joins Brandon Lloyd, Arnaz Battle and tight end Eric Johnson as the top targets for Tim Rattay and No. 1 draft pick Alex Smith.

Morton said he could serve as almost a secondary coach because of his experience in the league and with Sullivan.

"I would guess that I have more playing experience than all the other receivers combined because they are so young," Morton said. "If the other guys have questions, I can answer them. There will be situations in games and practices where I can pass my experience on to them."

Morton said he was in contact with a few teams since being let go by Kansas City but was attracted to the 49ers because of their illustrious history.

"You walk into the facility and see the five Lombardi trophies and five Super Bowl rings," he said. "Even though they've had a temporary setback, talking to people you get the feeling that they are on the way back to prominence."

Morton has caught 603 passes for 8,431 yards and 43 touchdowns in his career.

"Johnnie is our kind of guy," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said. "He is a hardworking professional who will be a great example to our young receivers."

June 22nd, 2005, 5:51 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

And Jerry Rice isn't?

Jackass... :finger:

June 22nd, 2005, 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

The San Fran area is beautiful, what a great place to finish his career.

Don't forget to see Yosemite while your ther Johnnie, It will be the highlight of your stay.

Be safe, we still love you in Motown.

Agreed, I always liked Johnnie. I remember when he had that thing with Jay Leno when we lost all those games. It sucked to lose, but was cool to see Johnnie on Leno.

June 22nd, 2005, 12:49 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I hope he does well there. I really liked him. Oh Well. :(

June 22nd, 2005, 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Johnnie was always a class act. Best of luck to him :idea:

Tim

June 22nd, 2005, 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]