View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cast your ESPY vote: Best NFL Player 

Tom Brady 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
Daunte Culpepper 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Peyton Manning 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Donovan McNabb 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Terrell Owens 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

Hall of Fame Player

Post Cast your ESPY vote: Best NFL Player

Tom Brady, New England Patriots
Credentials: Led Patriots to their third Super Bowl title in four years. Completed 60.8 percent of his pass attempts for 3,692 yards.

Past ESPYs: 2002 Best Breakthrough Athlete

Daunte Culpepper, Minnesota Vikings
Credentials: Threw for 4,717 yards, with 39 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions.

Past ESPYs: None.

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts
Credentials: NFL MVP. Set NFL record with 49 touchdown passes. Threw for 4,557 yards and only 10 interceptions.

Past ESPYs: 1998 Best College Football Player; 2004 Best NFL Player

Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles
Credentials: Threw for 3,875 yards, with 31 touchdowns and only eight interceptions.

Terrell Owens, Philadelphia Eagles
Credentials: Averaged 15.6 yards per catch with 77 receptions and 14 touchdowns. Returned from broken leg to catch nine passes in the Super Bowl.

The 2005 ESPY winners will be announced during the ESPY Awards in Los Angeles on July 13. The ESPYs will be televised on ESPN and ESPN Deportes on July 17 at 9 p.m. ET, preceded by the ESPY Red Carpet Special on ESPN2 at 8 p.m. ET.

Log on and vote:

http://espn.go.com/espy2005/s/05bestnfl ... inees.html

'04 Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts

'03 Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons

'02 Marshall Faulk, St. Louis Rams

'01 Marshall Faulk, St. Louis Rams

'00 Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams

'99 Terrell Davis, Denver Broncos

'98 Barry Sanders, Detroit Lions

'97 Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers

'96 Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers

'95 Barry Sanders, Detroit Lions

'94 Emmitt Smith, Dallas Cowboys

'93 Emmitt Smith, Dallas Cowboys

June 25th, 2005, 9:08 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I say McNabb...only because he had garbage receivers to work with (Pinkston and Mitchell) outside of TO and had a phenominal TD/INT ratio. He even seemed to produce without TO. I wonder how he'd do with Hakim, Kircus, and Swinton, LOL. Either way, it was McNabb that led the Eagles to the SB.

Payton had a mind blowing TD/INT ration, but he had Stokely, Harrison, and an elite group of TEs to work with. Give Payton our receiving corps and see what he could do. He'd probably put up similar numbers.

June 25th, 2005, 10:30 am
Varsity Captain

I just cant go against Brady, hes a proven winner.

June 25th, 2005, 4:12 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Brady, definitly. Can't beat a Super Bowl.

PS, check out 98 and 95

headbang.gif

June 26th, 2005, 7:05 pm
Profile WWW

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 27th, 2005, 10:49 am
Varsity 1st Team

I believe Payton Manning deserves this honor for setting what people believed were single season records that wouldn't be broken (TDs & QB rating).

Can all of the Colts weapons be labled elite? Or, are they a product of Payton's game preparation, play calling and visual awareness. I lean towards the later. His abilities raise the level of play around him.

I agree Brady is a winner and a great leader. However, I feel Payton has these same qualities and better QB skills. Perhaps if he had a defence as good as the Patriots, or maybe just home field advantage. He may have had a ring last year.

Sincerely,

K-Mart

June 28th, 2005, 2:31 pm
RIP Killer

I guess it depends on what defines 'best player'. Certainly were that given to a person with best individual achievements in regards to statistics it would go to Manning. However, I believe that Brady is just as responsible for raising the level of play around him as Manning is. If you were to ask any quarterback what receiving trio they would prefer of the two teams in question, I believe just about all would take the Colts receivers over that of the Patriots.

Remember also that the Colts don't have a strong defense mostly because of the exhorbitant contract that Manning demanded. It caused Indy to have to release some gifted starters on both sides of the ball, as well as causing a domino effect with other skill players on the team wanting to be paid in a similar way. Brady got a new contract, but didn't force the Pats to rid the team of their other talent as a result.

Simple numbers can't be the only consideration in determining the best player in the NFL. It should be an overall look, both on and off the field, and the effect the team feels from it. In that regard, Brady wins, IMHO.

June 28th, 2005, 3:17 pm
QB Coach

June 29th, 2005, 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Where's Kurt Warner?
:lol: I just know you've got to be kidding, right? Oh, wait! maybe you're not, he IS the savior of the Cards after all :rolleyes:

June 29th, 2005, 1:41 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Touche!! I definitely agree with the off-the-field contract comparison. However, I define the ?best player? as the individual with the best on-the-field play.

I propose the following question: If Brady did not have (3) championships, would he be on this list of ?best players?. He is a good QB on a great all around team. Place Manning at the helm of the Patriots
offense, most likely he would have the championships. Place Brady at the helm of the Colts offense, most likely his numbers would improve, but not to the record setting level. Nor would he have the championships.

All things considered, the debate could go on forever. They both are the best fit for their prospective offensive schemes. I can?t wait until Monday Night Football and the playoffs when they battle again.

Thanks for the fun debate.

Sincerely,

K-Mart

June 29th, 2005, 2:55 pm
RIP Killer

Well stated, K-M. You have a valid point about what would happen if the respective QBs switched teams. And as for the definition of 'best player' I can see your point there as well. Nicely done.

June 29th, 2005, 3:07 pm
League MVP

i think it is hard to say who is the best player especially when each position is so different.... If I had to pick one player I would pick Tomlinson or Peppers.

I certainly havent seen all the teams play and of those I have, havent seen nearly enough to do this but off the top of my head

QB- Brady > McNabb > Manning > Vick
RB- Tomlinson > Alexander > Portis > McCallister
excluded jamal lewis (jail) and holmes (health)
WR- Moss > Holt > Owens > Harrison > ROY WILLIAMS!!!
TE- Gonzalez > Gates > Witten
FB- dunno and dont care...
OT- Ogden > W. Jones > Pace > McKinnie
OG- ???
C- ???? dunno probably Mawae
DT- Jenkins > S. Rogers > M. Stroud > Coleman
DE- Peppers > Freeney > Taylor > Rice
LB- Lewis > Brooks > Morgan > Brooking > Bullock
CB- Bailey > McCallister > Surtain > D. Robinson >L Shepherd
S- Reed > Dawkins > R. Williams > R. Harrison > Darius
K- Viniateri > Vanderjagt > Nugent > Akers > Elam
P- Berger > Sauerbraun
KR/PR- Drummond > D. Hall

June 30th, 2005, 2:54 am

Place Manning at the helm of the Patriots
offense, most likely he would have the championships. Place Brady at the helm of the Colts offense, most likely his numbers would improve, but not to the record setting level. Nor would he have the championships.

I think that the think that seperates Brady from Manning is the head. I think the Brady is the Derek Jeter, the Chauncy Billups of football. He elevates his play when he has to, and I haven't seen Mannning do that so much.

Legend, I like your list. It probably makes more sense that picking one player and comparing him to all the postitions.

June 30th, 2005, 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

I hate the "He can elevate his game when he has too" comment.

It tells me one thing: Brady dosn't try his best in every game. Which isn't the mark of the best player. If he is the best, why dosn't he elevate his play in every game?

Every year Manning improves his skills, defence reading and play calling and applies it throughout the season in every game. This is why he consistantly has the best numbers in the game. He is a true student and, based upon my knowledge, a historian of the game.

Regards,

K-Mart

P.S. Have I converted anyone yet? It's O.K. if I havn't.

June 30th, 2005, 1:46 pm
RIP Killer

I voted for Manning as well so I guess you didn't have to convert me. Manning simply kicked my @$$ in fantasy last year for me not to take note, plus he made my Leos look stupid on Turkey Day. I looked at it over the course of an entire season, but if I had to take one guy for one big game I would lean towards Brady.

Overall though, I thought Manning proved he was the best QB in the league last year and one of the best QBs of my generation. His stats were so gaudy in 2004, you cannot ignore them. He needs to step up and beat the Pats, while it is not fair to simply blame him for those losses - that is how most people knock him.

Paul

PS - R U Ready?

June 30th, 2005, 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next