View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ray Lewis washed up? 
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

Post Ray Lewis washed up?
From PFT rumor mill:

"As Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis predicts that his career will be rejuvenated by the team's switch back to a 4-3 defense, including the use from time to time of the legendary 46 attack, some folks around the league think that it's simply over for the 2003 NFL defensive player of the year.

"Lewis can talk all the sh-t he wants," said one league source. "He's been running on fumes ever since they went to the the 3-4, and now he thinks he'll be the man because they are back at the 4-3.

"Don't kid yourself. Way back when those two fat, strong slobs they had in front of him [Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams] made [Lewis] what he was. Without them, he's a good pursuit guy, but once you get in his kitchen he's done."

I think some players are really hyped by the media. Also reputations linger. Finally, it is a young man's game. Is Lewis on the down side of the track?

June 27th, 2005, 9:53 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I doubt it. I don't care how good Goose/Adams are, Ray Lewis is amazing. He wouldn't be as good without that defense, sure, but I wouldn't take him lightly. The only time I every saw him make a mistake is when Roy juked him in the pre-season. That was when I knew we had something special. headband.gif

Anyway, this is just people with nothing to do till training camp making noise, IMO.

June 27th, 2005, 9:57 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He didn't win that award cuz of the Goose and Adams. The biggest contributor to that award was his 6 INTs in 2003. The guy hasn't logged less than 110 tackles (rookie season) since he's been in the league (9 seasons with the same team); keep in mind he was hurt one season and only played 5 games but still recorded 57 tackles and 2 INTs.

In a different scenario, Urlacher was great when he had hogs in front of him. Ray Lewis puts Urlacher to shame, he's produces to back up his trash talking.

June 27th, 2005, 11:10 pm
NFL Team Captain

If Lewis is washed up, maybe he could wash ashore in Detroit for his finall year. It would put butts in the seats and be fun to watch.

But Lewis aside, where do we try to make a big splash in FA next year? Drew Brees? Any other ideas?

June 30th, 2005, 6:17 am
RIP Killer

If Brees produces this year in SD like he did last year, they'll lock him up to a long term contract and entertain trade offers for Rivers. If Brees falls flat on his face, do we really want him?

I really don't know what players are eligible for free agency other than what players are in their contract years for the Lions. We may be looking for QB, LOT, ROT, DE, MLB, FS, TE, RB. At this positions we will either need a starter or depth should the players there either falter (Harrington) or not get a new contract (Backus, Redding, Holt).

June 30th, 2005, 7:15 am
RIP Killer

Biggest position besides QB (IF Joey fails) will be OT. Backus is solid, but he's far from a franchise OT like they thought he would be. The Lions may also be looking at RT, assuming they aren't impressed with Backus. I expect, if they do let Backus explore FA, he'll get some hefty dollars.

That could quite possibly be both OT positions.

I agree Mike, QB, DE, OTs, MLB, FS, TE, and RB are all areas to be concerned about during next year's offseason.

If Brees lights it up, I think SD will want more than what they're going to get for Rivers...a kid who threw a whole 5 passes last year and quite possibly the same this year if Brees continues to play the same.

One thing you didn't mention though is that they'll need to draft a solid OG (Baas would have been awesome here) since DeMulling is only on a 2 year deal or sign a solid, young starter via FA.

June 30th, 2005, 7:38 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I still think Ray is a great LB in the league; I don't think he's the best anymore but he's still great... You really can't call him washedup already - he was in the top 5 list of most tackles last year. But, yeah the switch to a base 4-3 defense will help him out a lot.....

jomo269 wrote:
If Lewis is washed up, maybe he could wash ashore in Detroit for his finall year. It would put butts in the seats and be fun to watch.

What are you talking about?? Lions sell out everygame! But, it would be interesting to watch and our critics will give us a break... (Winning wise)

Michael Huff for DROY

June 30th, 2005, 10:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]