View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 11:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Ashley Ambrose 
NFL Team Captain

Post Ashley Ambrose
Cornerback Ashley Ambrose signed a 1 year deal today with the KC Chiefs. Anybody have any feelings on how this will affect Ty Law and Lance Schulters? I realize LS is a safety, but he is in the secondary mix.

July 1st, 2005, 5:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Chiefs | Team Confirms Ambrose Agreement
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:10:33 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have officially announced they have agreed to the terms of a one-year contract with CB Ashley Ambrose. No financial details were released.

Chiefs got him.

They had been talking to Law. I assume that's over now.

July 1st, 2005, 5:19 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I heard that TB offered Law a contract (fanball was the source), but they still had to clear a whopping $6M to sign their draft picks. So despite them offering Law a contract, TB is out of the question. Law will get snagged during camp...or he won't play. He's too money hungry to not play this year. He'll get a contract around a $1M salary and a $1M or $1.5M SB.. I guarantee some team will make some cuts at the start of training camp and snag him for a nice chunk of change. He's too good of a player not to gamble on.

Last edited by conversion02 on July 1st, 2005, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 1st, 2005, 5:24 pm
NFL Team Captain

Sorry about that LF57. I was editing while you were posting. But at least we got the info. Any clue as to what's going on with Law now?

July 1st, 2005, 5:27 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Any clue as to what's going on with Law now?

His agent is quoted as saying he is 85% now and would be ready for training camp if signed. Law stated the same thing directly to Peter King as well in an interview last week. Unfortunately, he has not backed down on his stance of wanting top money and at least 4 years. After signing RW, we really don't need him.

I was actually wondering what was going on with Schulters situation. I know he has not signed with anyone, and would give us depth at safety, which I think is a bigger need for us. Does anyone have any idea if Millen has even talked about bringing him in for a workout?

Tim

July 1st, 2005, 5:36 pm
NFL Team Captain

At one point there was talk of signing Law if he would be willing to move to FS. With his coverage skills I think that it would be a good move. Either way I would like to see Law or Schulters in the Lions secondary. The way things are looking I think we could find the money to sign one of them. Lord knows we have some players that we could part with to make room.

July 1st, 2005, 5:59 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Millen seemed happy with Holts ability and potential, and he should be happy with the corners... He hinted that there was one position that he was not happy with.. thats where he will try to go in FA... I dont know what position that could be but I wouldnt count on Lance or Ty suitin up in a Lions unifrom

July 1st, 2005, 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/stor ... 9705204233

ESPN.com news services

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The Bucs have faxed a contract proposal to cornerback Ty Law, the St. Petersburg Times reported Thursday.

The Bucs are one of several teams that have expressed an interest in the veteran, including the Jaguars, Jets, Dolphins, Chiefs and Colts. It is not clear how feasible signing Law would be for the Bucs, who are trying to cut about $6 million from their payroll in order to sign draft picks. Further, the Bucs have retained their starting cornerbacks from last season -- Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly.

Barber, an All-Pro last season, has two seasons remaining on a six-year contract that will earn him $3.75 million in 2005. Kelly has four years remaining on his deal and is scheduled to earn $2.4 million in base salary this season. And Law might might seeking a contract that would exceed those deals.

Law was released by the Patriots in February after 10 years with the club. He played just seven games last season with one interception after fracturing his foot against the Steelers on Oct. 31. Law was scheduled to make more than $10 million in salary and incentives this season, the Times reported.

July 1st, 2005, 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Chiefs | Ambrose Signing may Rule out Law Signing
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:42:11 -0700

Elizabeth Merrill, of the Kansas City Star, reports the signing of CB Ashley Ambrose Friday, July 1, probably rules out the chance the Kansas City Chiefs will attempt to sign free agent CB Ty Law (Patriots). Asked late today whether the Ambrose deal meant Law was out of the picture, head coach Dick Vermeil said, "I can't answer that. I don't know. I would imagine, but I don't know. I think you're always smart enough not to write it off (and) then you just keep doing your due diligence." Vermeil said the Chiefs signed Ambrose for security. It is believed that Ambrose agreed to a deal near the veteran minimum of $765,000.

Law is most likely going elsewhere. I don't see him landing with the Chiefs.

July 3rd, 2005, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

If you sign a player to an incentive laden contract, how does that play with the salary cap?

Show us youcan play and we will be happy to give you the money!

July 3rd, 2005, 4:16 pm
Hall of Fame Player

If you sign a player to an incentive laden contract, how does that play with the salary cap?

Show us you can play and we will be happy to give you the money!

This is a great question for NetRat - but he's not here right now. So... Don't hold me to this but I think it goes something like this:

Incentives that are reached by a player are paid to him out of the following cap year. HOWEVER, they have to be realistic. (For example, you can't get a deal approved by the NFL if you had language that said the RB only had to have 1 carry in order for him to get $2 Mill the following year).

I've heard of incentive deals that said a player had to start more than 8 games to earn bonus. Stuff like that.

July 3rd, 2005, 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Sounds like if your not a skill position player that a incentive contract would not be a good deal unless you knew you would start or play a good percentage of the plays. Surely no performance based bonuses.

July 3rd, 2005, 4:54 pm
RIP Killer

Incentives are interesting. Incentives are categorized as either "Likely to be Earned" (LTBE) or "Not Likely to be Earned" (NLTBE). Their names are pretty self explanatory. LTBE incentives count towards the cap while NLTBE incentives do not. But the way it goes is that if the player achieves those NLTBE incentives then they count toward the following year's cap.

July 3rd, 2005, 5:29 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Incentives are interesting. Incentives are categorized as either "Likely to be Earned" (LTBE) or "Not Likely to be Earned" (NLTBE). Their names are pretty self explanatory. LTBE incentives count towards the cap while NLTBE incentives do not. But the way it goes is that if the player achieves those NLTBE incentives then they count toward the following year's cap.

Yep...

Just like I said!!

:wink:

July 3rd, 2005, 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

I think Conversion sleeps with his NFL manual. Thanks for the info, I never would have figured that one out on my own. Still sounds like a good way to sign Law, at least to me. Probably not to Law.

July 3rd, 2005, 7:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]