View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2014, 3:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Henry to Titans 
Varsity Captain

Post Henry to Titans
The Bills and Titans agreed in principle to trade Henry for a third round pick.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/TEN/8650845

Guess its insurance for Chris Brown instead of Fred Taylor.

July 16th, 2005, 9:37 pm
RIP Killer

Wow. I had just read that Jacksonville was close to making a deal with the Bills for Travis. I'll bet Del Rio is pretty pissed.

July 16th, 2005, 10:28 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Bills will get third-round pick
Quote:
Bills will get third-round pick

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Updated: July 16, 2005, 5:15 PM ET

The Tennessee Titans have reached agreement in principle on a trade to acquire disgruntled Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry and, barring unexpected complications, the deal will be announced early next week.

Travis Henry
Running Back

In return for Henry, who last season lost his starting job to Willis McGahee and who has not participated in any of the Bills' offseason sessions, Buffalo will receive a 2006 third-round draft choice. The paperwork for the trade, which is not contingent upon the Titans reaching a contract extension agreement with Henry, has been forwarded to the league offices.

The trade is contingent on the 26-year-old Henry passing a Tennessee-administered physical exam.

Henry is entering the final season of his contract and is scheduled to have a base salary of $1.25 million for 2005. If he does not sign an extension, Henry will become an unrestricted free agent next spring.

Tennessee officials have been attempting for much of the spring to solidify the running back situation behind starter Chris Brown, a two-year veteran whose brief career has so far been marred by injuries. Brown rushed for 1,067 yards in 2004, his first year as the starter after replacing Eddie George, but missed five games with injuries. Brown also missed five games in his 2003 rookie season, is currently recovering from a broken hand sustained in an offseason practices, and his durability is a concern.

Henry has also suffered some injury problems in his NFL career but is also noted for his toughness, as exemplified by the fact that he played the latter part of the 2003 season with a hairline leg fracture. It's a good bet that Titans coach Jeff Fisher will like Henry's toughness, and it will not be surprising if the hard-running back pushes Brown for the starting spot.

Despite reports earlier in the week that the Jacksonville Jaguars were close to acquiring Henry, they did not make a trade offer to the Bills until Friday night. The Jags also offered a third-round choice.

In their quest to add a proven running back as an insurance policy against the possibility that star Fred Taylor might not be fully rehabilitated from knee surgery for the start of the regular season, the Jaguars had completed one crucial element in a potential acquisition of Henry. The Jaguars earlier this week reached agreement in principle with Henry on a multi-year contract extension.

But the Jaguars lagged in the second half of the equation: satisfying the price tag of Buffalo general manager Tom Donahoe, who had all along been seeking a third-round draft pick in return for the four-year veteran back. By the time Jacksonville finally made a proposal to Buffalo, the Bills were more inclined to accept the Titans' offer.

A tough and determined inside runner who's had two 1,000-yard seasons, Henry was an attractive back for both teams, in part because of the injury problems of their current starters.

In four seasons, Henry has carried 963 times for 3,849 yards and 27 touchdowns. He also has 103 catches for 691 yards and two scores. The former University of Tennessee player, a second-round pick of the Bills in 2001, rushed for more than 1,000 yards in 2002 and '03. He has appeared in 54 games and started 48.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

A lot of confusion on the net as to who's got Henry.

July 17th, 2005, 7:55 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Titans | Running Back Roles
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 05:07:07 -0700

Paul Kuharsky, of the Tennessean, reports if the Tennessee Titans trade for RB Travis Henry is completed without a contract extension for Henry, the Titans will strengthen their offense for 2005 while leaving themselves solid options at the running back position down the road. The Titans could still try work on a deal that goes beyond the remaining year of Henry's contract. Even if the Titans don't manage an extension, they'll play this season with two solid running backs in Henry and Chris Brown and sort the rest out later. In offensive coordinator Norm Chow's system, Henry is expected to be more of the inside, power runner. Brown will qualify as more of the scat back who can do damage around the edges and as a pass-catcher. Henry said he has not met Brown and not yet spoken to Titans coaches regarding his role, but that "everybody will know their role, whatever roles the coaches give me or him, it's a team sport first."

Interesting how Travis Henry has suddenly realized football is a team sport and that everyone will know their role. This being said after he was unwilling to accept his role for Buffalo as a backup.

Some people just don't make sense.

July 18th, 2005, 10:32 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Interesting how Travis Henry has suddenly realized football is a team sport and that everyone will know their role. This being said after he was unwilling to accept his role for Buffalo as a backup.

Some people just don't make sense.

Good point. I think that they way he lost the job probably ticked him off, but now that hes away from the team, he might be able to see clearly. He sure was a jerk after McGahee got the job.

July 18th, 2005, 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Saw this on KFFL as to why Henry didn't go to the Jags.......

Quote:
Jaguars | Pursuit of Henry Failed for Three Reasons
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:02:09 -0700

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars attempt to trade for Buffalo Bills RB Travis Henry failed for three reasons. 1) Buffalo didn't want to trade Henry to the Jaguars. 2) In trading Henry to the Tennessee Titans for a third-round pick; the Bills believe they have received a draft choice that will ultimately turn out to be higher in the draft order than the Jaguars' third-round pick. 3) The Jaguars were reluctant to part with a second-round pick. There are reports the Jaguars attempted to sweeten the deal with an 11th-hour offer of a second-round pick, but those reports remain unsubstantiated and it's possible a second-rounder wouldn't have gotten the deal done either.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 18th, 2005, 1:03 pm
Modmin Dude

and maybe the deal to the Titans isn't done yet.......

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050718/SPORTS01/507180381/1027

Quote:
Titans General Manager Floyd Reese said through a spokesman yesterday that talks with the Buffalo Bills and running back Travis Henry "are still an ongoing process" and "that nothing has been finalized."..........A late-arising hitch or a problem with Henry's physical could still throw the deal off-track. Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard, said despite negotiations no agreement for a new contract has been reached.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 18th, 2005, 1:10 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Buffalo got their price and pretty late in the game.

July 18th, 2005, 8:18 pm
RIP Killer

Henry still has to pass a physical, and the Titans haven't negotiated a long term deal with him yet. However, it is believed that nothing will keep this deal from going through.

July 18th, 2005, 8:40 pm
RIP Killer

Titans: Finally, Henry deal is consummated
The News
It's official: running back Travis Henry is returning to Tennessee. The Bills sent the disgruntled running back to the Titans in exchange for undisclosed 2006 draft picks, Bills president Tom Donahoe told the AP Monday.
Our View
The Bills had been asking for a third-round pick in exchange for Henry, and the Jaguars?who entered the weekend as the favorites in the Henry sweepstakes?were reportedly offering a third-round choice that would become a second-round selection if Henry met certain statistical benchmarks. Henry is also seeking a contract extension, and the Titans don't have much room under the cap to offer one. Nonetheless, the Titans needed a proven back given starter Chris Brown's proclivity to injury, and it doesn't hurt that they're getting the leading rusher in University of Tennessee history. How the suddenly crowded Titans backfield will shake down for fantasy purposes remains to be seen, but the initial guess would be Henry as the inside and short-yardage guy and Brown as the outside, pass-catching back?at least until his next injury.

July 19th, 2005, 8:10 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Smart move by the Titans to back up Brown, for sure. But, man I feel "bad" for Henry (as bad as I can feel for a pro athelete). In his last few games as a starter he played with a broken focking leg, for crying out loud. The guy showed nothing but heart, but it still wasn't enough to keep him on the starting squad. Now he'll probably never be a starter again.

All because Drew Rosenshyster sold an injured McGahee to the Bills. I still have no clue what the Bills were thinking when they drafted McGahee. From what I see, all they got out of McGahee was a third round pick 3 years later. So they burned a first rounder to get a third rounder. Brilliant.

And as far as Henry being bitter, I really can't blame the guy. He played his guts out for his team and pretty much got kicked in the head for his efforts.

July 19th, 2005, 8:56 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

All because Drew Rosenshyster sold an injured McGahee to the Bills. I still have no clue what the Bills were thinking when they drafted McGahee. From what I see, all they got out of McGahee was a third round pick 3 years later. So they burned a first rounder to get a third rounder. Brilliant.

McGahee can be one of the best backs in the game. You saw what he did last season. If he can keep from being injured, he will be considered a steal, IMO.

July 19th, 2005, 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

Quote:

McGahee can be one of the best backs in the game. You saw what he did last season. If he can keep from being injured, he will be considered a steal, IMO.

I beg to differ. The Bills already had a stud in Henry - he averaged 1400 yds and 12 TDs as the full time starter. Certainly nothing to sneeze at.

And even if you don't agree that he was a "stud", you have to admit RB was definitely not a position that needed the most attention at the time. From what I see, they upgraded slightly at RB as a result of that draft, but at the same time caused a lot of friction in the lockerroom and pretty much made it impossible for both RBs to co-exist on the same team.

So, when they drafted McGahee, Henry was as good as gone. Fine and dandy as long as they can get someone out of him. But they got an extra 3rd rounder out of him, and no other players. I don't see how taking McGahee in the first round three years ago has benefitted the Bills at all. They would've had the production from the RB slot either way and they could've drafted a stud somewhere else to help out their team.

In my eyes, they burned a first rounder to get a third rounder.

July 19th, 2005, 12:20 pm
Hall of Fame Player

bsand2053 wrote:
Quote:

I beg to differ. The Bills already had a stud in Henry - he averaged 1400 yds and 12 TDs as the full time starter. Certainly nothing to sneeze at.

And even if you don't agree that he was a "stud", you have to admit RB was definitely not a position that needed the most attention at the time. From what I see, they upgraded slightly at RB as a result of that draft, but at the same time caused a lot of friction in the lockerroom and pretty much made it impossible for both RBs to co-exist on the same team.

So, when they drafted McGahee, Henry was as good as gone. Fine and dandy as long as they can get someone out of him. But they got an extra 3rd rounder out of him, and no other players. I don't see how taking McGahee in the first round three years ago has benefitted the Bills at all. They would've had the production from the RB slot either way and they could've drafted a stud somewhere else to help out their team.

In my eyes, they burned a first rounder to get a third rounder.

TK,

I totally agree with you. This never turned out to be anything close to a steal.

-------------------------------> <--------------------------

Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry (20) tries to break a tackle by Jacksonville Jaguars linebacker Akin Ayodele (51) during the first quarter at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Orchard Park, N.Y. in this Sept. 12, 2004 file photo. Bills president Tom Donahoe announced, Monday, July 18, 2005 he traded Henry to the Tennessee Titans for a third-round pick in next year's draft. (AP Photo/Don Heupel)

July 18, 2005

July 19th, 2005, 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I think that the Bills jumped the gun with drafting McGahee because of the fumble issues Henry had at the beginning of his career. Their is no doubt of his talent, but in his 1st couple of seasons Henry led the NFL in fumbles.

As for McGahee, he was a top 5 talent before that ghastly injury in the bowl game. As a matter of fact, Detroit was strongly considering him if he declared, but then he got injured. We ended up taking CRog instead.

I think Buffalo will be fine w/ McGahee. I don't believe Henry will be satisfied w/ the Titans because he will still be a backup. We shall see.

Tim

July 19th, 2005, 3:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next