View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Henry to Titans 
QB Coach

All because Drew Rosenshyster sold an injured McGahee to the Bills. I still have no clue what the Bills were thinking when they drafted McGahee. From what I see, all they got out of McGahee was a third round pick 3 years later. So they burned a first rounder to get a third rounder. Brilliant.

I disagree. I think that McGahee can be an elite back in this league, which I don't ever see Henry becoming. Henry isn't a prototypical feature back, at only 5-9 215. He wasn't going to be a "franchise back", one of the top 5 in the league, rather a solid back. At that time, Buffalo really didn't have many needs. That pick was basically compensation for Peerless Price. It was a BPA pick for the future. I just didn't see Henry as a 1700 yard back with 15+ TDs, which McGahee is capable of doing, once he figures out how to run against division rivals.

July 19th, 2005, 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

TK wrote:
All because Drew Rosenshyster sold an injured McGahee to the Bills. I still have no clue what the Bills were thinking when they drafted McGahee. From what I see, all they got out of McGahee was a third round pick 3 years later. So they burned a first rounder to get a third rounder. Brilliant.

I disagree. I think that McGahee can be an elite back in this league, which I don't ever see Henry becoming. Henry isn't a prototypical feature back, at only 5-9 215. He wasn't going to be a "franchise back", one of the top 5 in the league, rather a solid back. At that time, Buffalo really didn't have many needs. That pick was basically compensation for Peerless Price. It was a BPA pick for the future. I just didn't see Henry as a 1700 yard back with 15+ TDs, which McGahee is capable of doing, once he figures out how to run against division rivals.

That's 300 more yards and 3 more TD's than he was averaging. Do you think the Bills were thinking that if they could just get 300 more yards and 3 more TD's out of their RB, they'd be Superbowl bound? I doubt it. You'll never convince me that the Bills were unhappy with Henry's performance at the time. Like I said, the kid played with a broken leg, and played well! No way they thought RB was a problem area and that they felt they needed to take a gamble on a guy who just got his knee mangled in the Orange Bowl to help shore up the position.

I'll never argue that Henry and McGahee are on the same plane, talent-wise - but they really didn't need help at RB from that draft. I'd think a good O-Lineman would've been a much wiser selection.

July 20th, 2005, 7:30 am
RIP Killer

That's 300 more yards and 3 more TD's than he was averaging. Do you think the Bills were thinking that if they could just get 300 more yards and 3 more TD's out of their RB, they'd be Superbowl bound? I doubt it. You'll never convince me that the Bills were unhappy with Henry's performance at the time. Like I said, the kid played with a broken leg, and played well! No way they thought RB was a problem area and that they felt they needed to take a gamble on a guy who just got his knee mangled in the Orange Bowl to help shore up the position.

I'll never argue that Henry and McGahee are on the same plane, talent-wise - but they really didn't need help at RB from that draft. I'd think a good O-Lineman would've been a much wiser selection.

Agreed.

July 20th, 2005, 8:02 am
Hall of Fame Player

TK wrote:

Agreed.

Ditto!

July 20th, 2005, 8:49 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Brian wrote:
TK wrote:

But what offensive lineman in that draft at that position would have made even close to the impact that McGahee is going to make? No one.

He was a great talent, an impact player, for a team that didn't have a real need at the time. Sounds just like what the Lions did with Mike Williams, yet that's a great selection :roll:

They didn't need help anywhere. They had the luxury of taking BPA, which Henry didn't like. Too bad. Now he whined his way out of Buffalo rather than cooperating and platooning. I don't see Travis has a feature back for years with his frame. Buffalo saw that with Willis.

July 20th, 2005, 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

"TRAVIS ANOTHER TENNESSEE TURD?

In the wake of the acquisition of running back Travis Henry by the third-round draft pick and a contract essentially worth $7.2 million over three years, one league source has told us that, although the deal is on the low side, Travis should consider himself lucky to have gotten what he did.

"The guy is problems," said an exec from a team other than the Titans, which is fast becoming an organization that by all appearances wouldn't be able to spot a turd if it were turning clockwise in the toilet bowl.

"That's why [the Bills] wanted to get rid of [Henry] and that is also why it took them so long to get a deal done," said the source.

"He is not really a bad guy but he does have . . . problems and they don't come any dumber," added the source.

So why did the Titans not chose to forget about him? "Either Reese didn't know or he felt backed into the corner because they have a problem at the position," said the source. "Either way it was still a lot of money to pay for potential problems."

July 20th, 2005, 6:43 pm
RIP Killer

But what offensive lineman in that draft at that position would have made even close to the impact that McGahee is going to make? No one.

Okay, Kwame Harris wouldn't have made the impact McGahee has, but then again, what OL will score you TDs and get you yards? You can't really compare the two. When they're picking 23rd in the draft, they can take an OL to tutor for a year or two, they could have done that with Harris. Do I think he was worth the 26th pick, no.

They got Terrance McGee later in the draft, they could have reached a little for Tillman. They could have taken Dallas Clark or William Joseph as well, both would have been good picks.

Brian wrote:
He was a great talent, an impact player, for a team that didn't have a real need at the time. Sounds just like what the Lions did with Mike Williams, yet that's a great selection :roll:

They didn't need help anywhere. They had the luxury of taking BPA, which Henry didn't like. Too bad. Now he whined his way out of Buffalo rather than cooperating and platooning. I don't see Travis has a feature back for years with his frame. Buffalo saw that with Willis.

I agree, but they had a solid guy in Henry. I do understand that you're saying the Bills saw a stud prospect in McGahee and must not have seen that in Henry since they drafted McGahee, but don't take anything away from Henry. He's a solid RB...just send him to Denver to find out!!!

July 20th, 2005, 6:49 pm
QB Coach

Brian wrote:

Okay, Kwame Harris wouldn't have made the impact McGahee has, but then again, what OL will score you TDs and get you yards? You can't really compare the two. When they're picking 23rd in the draft, they can take an OL to tutor for a year or two, they could have done that with Harris. Do I think he was worth the 26th pick, no.

They got Terrance McGee later in the draft, they could have reached a little for Tillman. They could have taken Dallas Clark or William Joseph as well, both would have been good picks.

Honestly, if I was the Bills, I wouldn't be kicking myself in the butt for passing on guys like Dallas Clark and Charles Tillman. And William Joseph as well as Kwame Harris have been busts so far. McGahee has the looks of an All-Pro.

July 20th, 2005, 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

McGahee does look like an All-Pro, I'm not denying that. I'm just pointing out that they had other options. Henry was doing a good job and they upgraded a notch at the cost of a #23 pick. IMO (which doesn't matter), they should have went another route (knowing what they knew at the time, not what they know now).

BTW, I don't think Kwame or William Joseph would have been good picks, but they looked like prospects at the time.

July 20th, 2005, 10:48 pm
Hall of Fame Player

McGahee does look like an All-Pro, I'm not denying that. I'm just pointing out that they had other options. Henry was doing a good job and they upgraded a notch at the cost of a #23 pick. IMO (which doesn't matter), they should have went another route (knowing what they knew at the time, not what they know now).

BTW, I don't think Kwame or William Joseph would have been good picks, but they looked like prospects at the time.

This is exactly the issue!!

July 21st, 2005, 6:17 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

The Bills felt the pick was for a potential superstar.The common belief at that time was for him to go in the top portion of round 2.Our Lions,Millen I'm sure was hoping like mad he'd be there,were poised to take there.We still got Boss though(another fantastic athlete).

Pre-injury --- McGahee reportedly ran a 4.25 forty and at 6'1" 225 lbs. with his production in college he was considered a stud.His accelleration was phenominal and he ran very strong,a collegiate stud,in every sense of the word.His last year he looked like one of those prospects that come along only every once in a while.It wasn't just the workouts because he had as a junior but on field production and ability that had the scouts drooling.In fact,I believe he was our guy in the first round not Roger in not for Will Allen's hit.

Whether or not it was a wise decision,time will tell,I understand their thinking.True superstars are rare they think they have in the making,but time will tell.

July 21st, 2005, 7:53 am
RIP Killer

The debate is whether or not A.) The Bills should have taken Magahee in round one with Henry on the roster and B.) Whether or not Magahee provides a significant upgrade over Henry.

To question A:

I do feel that taking Willis twenty third overall was a reach, given his injury and the required healing time. However, for a player who was considered a legitamate top five with outstanding physical abilities, I can understand the pick. The draft, the entire process, is one big gamble. Having Henry already on the roster simply allowed the Bills time to wait for Willis to heal and return to form. It was, afterall, Henry who said at the time that Magahee was drafted that he could learn to coexist. Then he changed his mind after Buffalo gave Willis additional playing time last year. Travis now says he can learn to coexist in Tennessee. He better. Not too many teams are willing to take on a player with his 'me first' attitude. And perhaps that's why Magahee was drafted as well... :-k

To question B:

If Magahee has completely healed and is returned to his college form, he is a big upgrade over Henry. He has greater size, much greater speed and equal or better power than Henry. Another thing that MUST be considered is the comment made by one NFL team's personnel guy that "...they don't come any dumber" than Travis Henry. If that is true, his intellectual shortcomings could have played a big role in all of this. It makes him less coachable, and far less adaptable to changes in the playbook and assignments.

While it may be true that Buffalo had more outstanding needs at the time of their first round pick in 2003, this was a case of them looking to the future and seeing brighter skies ahead with Magahee running the ball for them. If that was the only pick they would have had for that draft, than I could understand the scrutinization. Needs can be obtained in later rounds at other positions. Time will only tell who is the more talented running back and whether the Bills have made a mistake. This will be the year to determine all of that.

July 21st, 2005, 8:51 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

To this point this has worked out as well as the Bills could have hoped. They are an improving team finishing strongly last season to end at 9-7, they have maintained a strong defense and now are throwing in a supertalented young QB into an offense with loads of talent at WR and RB. Mularkey is a great offensive coach and this team will be around for a long time. McGahee is a much more explosive runner than Henry who is a solid back. IMO if you can upgrade at the RB position you do it bc you expect that guy to get the ball 300-400 times a season and the more plays he can make for you the better. The cost for this upgrade in this situation I am not so sure it is really the #23 pick bc they are using McGahee - he is that pick - and they salvaged something for Henry. Henry was a 2nd round pick and after 4-5 years of use they are getting a 3rd rd pick for him, not bad at all; try to get that kind of value from an automobile. I see this as a shrewd move by the Bills it maybe cost them more than it should have, nobody knows how far McGahee would have lasted if they didnt take him but with the results they have gotten so far it has been worth it.

To me the worst thing about this is that McGahee who the Lions were considering at #2 overall but didnt consider bc of the injury has actually played in more games than Charles Rogers.

July 21st, 2005, 4:45 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

To me the worst thing about this is that McGahee who the Lions were considering at #2 overall but didnt consider bc of the injury has actually played in more games than Charles Rogers.

That is pretty ironic. I didn't even think of that :shock:

Tim

July 21st, 2005, 5:13 pm
Bubbles the Lion

July 21st, 2005, 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2