View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 3:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 TO 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post TO
:roll:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3775220
Quote:
Owens: 'People hated on Jesus' too
/ FOXSports.com
Posted: 17 hours ago

Owens told the Miami Herald, "At the end of the day, I don't have to worry about what people think of me, whether they hate me or not. People hated on Jesus. They threw stones at him and tried to kill him, so how can I complain or worry about what people think?"

Never one to shy away from controversy, Owens continued, "How can you justify hating me after I worked so hard rehabilitating from a broken leg to get back to the Super Bowl to help our team try to win? Really, you've got to look at who the villain really is in this thing."

Owens seeming to compare himself to Jesus is just the latest in a long line of quotes to get the receiver into hot water.

In April, Owens said, "(I) wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl," in an obvious reference to quarterback Donovan McNabb, whose late-game management in Super Bowl XXXIX drew criticism.

In an interview with Playboy magazine, Owens took a shot at former teammate Jeff Garcia, saying, "Like my boy tells me: If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat," when asked if he thought that the quarterback was gay.

Later, Owens furiously backed off his "smell like a rat" comment by saying, "I didn't say that he was gay. The conversation and the interview were loose. To my knowledge, I'm not sure if Jeff is gay or not. I've seen him out ? he had a girlfriend when we were in San Fran. There's been a recent report that he has a girlfriend now. That was the extent of it. Everybody's going to make a big deal out of it. It wasn't like I came out and said 'Jeff was gay.' People asked me similar questions about Steve Young. Everybody is going to have their rumors."

Owens is Exhibit A in Rosenhaus' contention that players often perform beyond the means of their current salary. While teams can void contracts on a whim, players aren't allowed to re-adjust earnings based on performance.

"What we're saying," Rosenhaus said, "is that same logic that allows a team to cut a player or reduce his salary should apply the other way in this type of situation."

Owens isn't the only player threatening to hold out until his respective team gives into his and Rosenhaus' demands. Packers receiver Javon Walker and defensive tackle Grady Jackson, Panthers linebacker Dan Morgan and Colts running back Edgerrin James are other notable players represented by Rosenhaus who are not satisfied with their current contracts.

The Eagles and Packers have stated that they will not give into the demands of Rosenhaus and the players, and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie has the support of Falcons owner Arthur Blank.

"I think it's a mistake if Philadelphia gives in," Blank said in an interview with Sporting News Radio. "I don't know T.O. I know the folks at Philadelphia well. I know Jeff Lurie. I know (Eagles president) Joe Banner."

"In my judgment, if (Owens) had played at that level for two or three years and quietly had gone into management and said, 'Listen, guys, this isn't right. I'm playing at an extraordinary high level. Instead of being the No. 1, No. 2 paid receiver in the league, I'm No. 15 or 18 or 20. Is there something we can do about this?' I don't know what they would have done, but certainly their response may have been different."

Rosenhaus, on the HBO show Real Sports, said that Walker will not report to Packers training camp when veterans are scheduled to report on July 27.

"The news on Javon Walker is that we are, right now, we have already decided he is not going to go to training camp," Rosenhaus said on Real Sports. "We've made the decision that we're not going to report to training camp. And I can't say when we will report, or if, or when, but he will not be at camp."

Walker, who has two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2001, is scheduled to make a base salary of $515,000 this season. Last year, the Packers receiver made the Pro Bowl and led the team with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Owens suffered a leg fracture and severe ankle sprain in a Week 15 game against the Cowboys, missed the final two regular season games and two playoff games before returning in time for the Super Bowl. Owens performing heroically in Super Bowl XXXIX, catching nine passes for 122 yards in a 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

Owens is set to receive $12.4 million over the first two years of a seven-year, $49 million deal that Owens signed before last season while working with agent David Joseph. Rosenhaus contends that contract ranks behind the deals of at least nine other NFL receivers.

July 21st, 2005, 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Heisman Winner

T.O. is a nut ball, but I understand his comments, it's just another way the media makes the player look like a bad guy.

July 21st, 2005, 12:54 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: TO
Quote:
Owens told the Miami Herald, "At the end of the day, I don't have to worry about what people think of me, whether they hate me or not. People hated on Jesus. They threw stones at him and tried to kill him, so how can I complain or worry about what people think?"

How does TO compare himself to Jesus? Since TO is comparing himself to Jesus, he should look at this whole situation and simply ask himself, "What Would Jesus Do?"

Quote:
In an interview with Playboy magazine, Owens took a shot at former teammate Jeff Garcia, saying, "Like my boy tells me: If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, by golly, it is a rat," when asked if he thought that the quarterback was gay.

Later, Owens furiously backed off his "smell like a rat" comment by saying, "I didn't say that he was gay. The conversation and the interview were loose. To my knowledge, I'm not sure if Jeff is gay or not. I've seen him out ? he had a girlfriend when we were in San Fran. There's been a recent report that he has a girlfriend now. That was the extent of it. Everybody's going to make a big deal out of it. It wasn't like I came out and said 'Jeff was gay.' People asked me similar questions about Steve Young. Everybody is going to have their rumors."

If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat? Dur, isn't that saying, yup, Garcia's flaming. Steve Young flaming as well? How can Garcia possibly be gay??? He's dating one of the hottest chicks on the planet! Maybe TO's the nancy here...

July 21st, 2005, 1:03 pm

What an a-hole. Why would you say something like that? First saying Donovan wimped out in the super bowl, and now this. He is pretty big-headed. :evil:

July 21st, 2005, 1:35 pm
Profile WWW

I use to like TO but after his hold out and now these comments. He certainly has dropped in my book.

NEVER GIVE UP!

July 21st, 2005, 1:45 pm
RIP Killer

Isn't it amazing?! Owens contract 'situation' hasn't been front page news for a couple weeks, so he has to make a comment to pump up the attention for himself.

Personally, I hope the Eagles maintain their stance and Owens sits out for six years.

I won't miss him. Will you? Any of you?

July 21st, 2005, 3:25 pm
Site Admin

Not really. To me I watch the game for good plays and not this WWF kind of behavior. I don't mind endzone dances and the like but this ego crap is so needless. Gimme a Barry attitude over a TO anyday.

July 21st, 2005, 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I certainly wouldn't miss him. TO is an amazing talent and player, but as a man he is a tool. There is only 2 people TO looks out for, and that is himself and his ego :roll:

Tim

July 21st, 2005, 3:39 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Post Owens: 'I don't really have to play for the Eagles'
Quote:
Eagles | Owens: Ready to Leave
Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:08:04 -0700

Andy Schwartz, of ComcastSportsNet.com, reports Philadelphia Eagles WR Terrell Owens said Thursday, July 21, on Comcast Sports Southeast, which is based in his hometown of Atlanta, that he is prepared to leave the Eagles. His remarks came in response to a question about team president Joe Banner's statement in the Philadelphia Daily News. Banner was asked if Owens would show up August 1 for training camp and Banner replied: "If we were dealing with somebody who was looking at this logically and was going to come to a common-sense conclusion, you'd say (he'll report to camp on time)," Banner told the newspaper. "But you're dealing with two people here who, frankly, don't think in common-sense terms." Owens' rebuttal was: "It doesn't bother me," he said. "When it all boils down to it, I'm doing what's best for my family. Not to stir anything up, but I don't really have to play for the Eagles to be honest. I can go play with any other team and still be productive." As for whether one can expect to see him at training camp, Owens said, fat chance. Owens was then asked if he would consider joining the Atlanta Falcons. "If Joe Banner can give Drew Rosenhaus permission to seek a trade," he said, "who knows, Atlanta might be on the list of people that I could play for."

AND...

Quote:
Owens: 'I don't really have to play for the Eagles'

July 22, 2005, 2:47 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

An Eagle could be taking flight.

As a war of words between Eagles president Joe Banner and Terrell Owens heats up, T.O. told CSS SportsNite in Atlanta on Thursday that he is willing to leave Philly if the team won't redo his contract, which still has six years remaining on a $49 million deal.

"It doesn't bother me," Owens said about Banner's comments. "When it all boils down to it, I'm doing what's best for my family. Not to stir anything up, but I don't really have to play for the Eagles, to be honest. I can go play with any other team and still be productive.

"If [Banner] feels that way, then get rid of me," he continued. "I have no gripes, no ill feelings toward any of the players on that team. This is business. They know how business is conducted. I've told them what I'm doing is for my family. If they can't understand that -- and if they feel like I'm a no-nonsense guy -- he wants to talk about Drew and I -- if we're problems then I feel like we can be adults about it. Trade me. Release me, and we can part ways like adults."

Owens has a specific idea of where he'd like to be traded.

"If Joe Banner can give Drew Rosenhaus permission to seek a trade," he told SportsNite, "who knows, Atlanta might be on the list of people that I could play for."Owens' comments came after Banner criticized the receiver and agent Drew Rosenhaus in the Philadelphia Daily News."If we were dealing with somebody who was looking at this logically and was going to come to a common-sense conclusion, you'd say [he'll report to camp on time]," Banner told the Daily News. "But you're dealing with two people here who, frankly, don't think in common-sense terms. Anything can happen. They're not going to necessarily do what makes sense."

Rosenhaus told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the odds of Owens reporting to training camp on time are "50-50." Owens himself told CSS SportsNite on Thursday that, despite the possible fines, he likely won't attend camp. The Daily News, citing a source in the NFL players' association with knowledge of Owens' contract, reported that the Eagles could fine T.O. five-sixths of the $2.25 million signing bonus Owens received after being traded last year, meaning Owens could be out $1.87 million.

Terrell Owens = rectum

TO will lose this fight in the end.

July 22nd, 2005, 7:35 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I can't see Atlanta signing TO to a deal he would want. With Ron Mexico's deal already on their cap, they can't afford another outrageous contract. Very few teams in the league can afford TO's current contract much less an improved one. The Vikes could though...OMG, that would suck for our DBs.

TO is screwed. He's hurting himself and his family by not playing. He's losing out on money and the Eagles won't cut him. Why would the Eagles cut him? I wouldn't. I would rather him NOT get paid due to his own ignorance and ego.

Speaking of set holdouts...

Packers: Rosenhaus confirms Walker will hold out
The News
The Packers will open training camp next Wednesday without wide receiver Javon Walker. That's the word from his agent Drew Rosenhaus, who taped an interview with HBO Real Sports last Friday. "Right now, we have already decided he is not going to go to training camp," Rosenhaus said in the interview, a transcript of which was e-mailed to the Wisconsin State Journal and other media outlets on Wednesday. "And I can't say when we will report, or if, or when. But he will not be at camp." Walker is looking for a new contract or a trade, but the Packers have refused to negotiate with Walker, who has two years left on his deal. "He's making about half a million dollars, and he's one of the premier players in the league. I can't let this player go out on the field and jeopardize his career for that kind of money," Rosenhaus said. "I just can't fathom it."
Our View
Nothing shocking here, but it is now official: Walker will be holding out. This situation may have surpassed the Eagles' Terrell Owens saga in terms of potential damage to fantasy values. The Packers ultimately decided to trade cornerback Mike McKenzie when he pulled this same deal last year?will they do the same with Walker?

July 22nd, 2005, 8:00 am
Site Admin

Drew needs to spend more time around the kiddy pools saving lives and less time filling these guys heads with delusions de grandeur.

July 22nd, 2005, 8:53 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Drew needs to spend more time around the kiddy pools saving lives and less time filling these guys heads with delusions de grandeur.

Nice. Well said Alpha.

July 22nd, 2005, 10:20 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Owens, Eagles continue spat over contract dispute
Quote:
Saturday, July 23, 2005

Owens, Eagles continue spat over contract dispute

Terrell Owens says he will report to the Philadelphia Eagles training camp even though he is hinting that he would agree to a trade because of a contract dispute.

Owens told the Philadelphia Inquirer Friday for a story on its Web site that he would report to training camp, though he won't be happy if fails to get a new deal.

"I'll be there," Owens said. "I mean, the bottom line is that I still believe I deserve a new contract. I still believe I deserve more than what they've given me. But I'm not stupid. I'm not about to miss training camp, get fined every day and give them even more reasons to keep from paying me."

Drew Rosenhaus, Owens' agent said Friday he just wants a fair-market deal for Owens.

"We hope it's something we can work out with the Philadelphia Eagles," Rosenhaus told The Associated Press, adding he had talked recently with the Eagles. "If it's something we can work out with another team, that is not something we are opposed to."

He added:

"At this time, the Eagles have said to me they are not interested in trading him and we have not received permission to seek a trade."

Responding to comments made by Eagles president Joe Banner in Thursday's Philadelphia Daily News that Owens and Rosenhaus "don't think in commonsense terms," Owens told Comcast SportsNet Southeast in Atlanta that the Eagles could just trade him.

Banner was on vacation and unavailable for comment Friday.

"If he feels that way, then get rid of me," Owens said Thursday. "He wants to talk about Drew and I. If we're problems, then... trade me, release me. And we can just part ways like adults.

"What it all boils down to is I'm going to do what's best for my family. I don't even have to play for the Eagles, to be honest. I can go play with any other team and still be productive."

Owens, who helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with San Francisco, is asking for a new contract a year into a seven-year deal worth almost $49 million.

Rosenhaus said earlier this week that Owens was "50-50" about reporting to training camp and no decision would be made until the start of camp. Owens, though, has already made his decision.

"I'll be there. But I won't be happy, I can tell you that much," Owens told the Inquirer. "Take from that whatever you want."

Veterans are scheduled to report to Eagles camp on Aug. 1 at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa.

The Eagles have said they won't redo Owens' contract.

Banner told the Daily News he hoped Owens would report on time.

"If we were dealing with somebody who was looking at this logically and was going to come to a commonsense conclusion, you'd say (he would report)," Banners said. "But you're dealing with two people here who, frankly, don't think in commonsense terms. Anything can happen. They're not going to necessarily do what makes sense."

Owens defied his doctor's advice by returning to the starting lineup against New England just 6 1/2 weeks after ankle surgery, and was Philadelphia's best player on offense. He caught nine passes for 122 yards in the Eagles' 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

His outrageous personality, flashy touchdown celebrations and deep-ball ability made Owens an instant fan favorite in notoriously-fickle Philadelphia. Public sentiment has turned against him, though, with fans flooding talk radio that he's gotten greedy and that the Eagles could win a Super Bowl without him.

Rosenhaus defended his client, saying fans should not have any ill-will toward Owens because the renegotiation process was strictly a business decision.

"This is something that is of great urgency and importance to Terrell," he said. "He hasn't looked to offend anybody. The last faction he want to offend is the Philadelphia Eagles fans. This is not personal.

"I'm confident once we get this resolved, he will go back to the status he previously enjoyed."

By Dan Gelston / Associated Press

I read what TO says... And every word that comes out of his mouth makes him sound like a stupid rectum.

Bottom line: he is in the process of losing his gamble with the Eagles.

Last edited by LionFan57 on July 23rd, 2005, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 23rd, 2005, 8:18 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

TO is just pissing me off.... I use to think he was alright but his stupid comments are just making him fall in my books.... The more he puts his ego ahead 1st the more no one else is going to want him.... Don't pay him Eagles; let him be an idiot then no one else would want him.

Michael Huff for DROY

July 23rd, 2005, 10:07 am
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

Everyone forgets that he's in this situation because his former agent didn't turn in his free agent papers.How the agent let that happen is beyond me,had to be the first time it ever happened.I wonder how many clients he had and how was he to busy to fax over a signed document.Owens totally shocked and also totally trapped.

I'm trying to defend T.O. just playing devil's advocate.He was put in the squeeze last year by the 49'ers(can't blame them).They took advantage of an opportunity to get compensation for a player that really should have been free to shop.

Yes,T.O. signed the contract, but his options were limited to say the least.He had just rebuffed the Baltimore Ravens (trying his best to be a free agent),but he still had no leverage.Philly was probably just a better
place than Baltimore.

July 23rd, 2005, 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next