View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 8:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bears News (Thump Belton, Desmond Clark, Airese Currie) 
RIP Killer

Post Bears News (Thump Belton, Desmond Clark, Airese Currie)
Bears: Belton is the starter at fullback for now
The News
Third string fullback Keith Belton will be running with the first team in practice when the Bears open training camp this weekend. A foot injury landed starter Bryan Johnson on the active/physically unable to perform list while a torn pectoral sent second stringer Jason McKie to the active/non-football injury list. Both moves were made on Wednesday. "I'm ready for it," Belton told the Chicago Sun-Times. "I've been preparing for it since I got here in January. Athletically and physically between Bryan, Jason and myself, I don't think there is that much of a gap. Bryan is a heck of a player, but I think I am, too, and I'm ready to bring it."
Our View
While the untested Belton is ready to "bring it," Johnson should be ready to roll within a week or two. That said, Johnson was supposed to be ready in time for the start of camp and that didn't really work out so well. McKie, on the other hand, might be headed toward injured reserve.

Okay, well he's named the starter going into camp...he could wow them.

Bears: Currie signs five year deal

The News
The Bears signed fifth-round draft pick Airese Currie to a five-year contract on Wednesday. The Chicago Sun-Times reports the wide receiver's deal is worth $2.3 million, including a $230,000 signing bonus. Unfortunately, Currie is still recovering from surgery on March 22 to repair a stress fracture in his right foot and will begin training camp on the active/non-football-injury list.
Our View
As a wide receiver with wheels, Currie is on the right team to break in with since the Bears are very thin after Muhsin Muhammad. That said, if he is unable to participate in much of camp, he might wind up not playing this year.

Bears: Clark not ready
The News
Bears starting tight end Desmond Clark was placed on the active/non-football injury list on Wednesday because he is still recovering from a sprained ankle that he suffered before the team's minicamp in May.
Our View
Clark had been expected to be ready in time for training camp, so this move is a bit of a shot to whatever fantasy value he had. Dustin Lyman should see most of the time in practice with the first team until Clark is able to pass a physical and suit up.

July 22nd, 2005, 7:55 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Bears News (Thump Belton, Desmond Clark, Airese Currie)
conversion02 wrote:
The News
The Bears signed fifth-round draft pick Airese Currie to a five-year contract on Wednesday. The Chicago Sun-Times reports the wide receiver's deal is worth $2.3 million, including a $230,000 signing bonus.

A five year deal for a fifth round pick? That's highly unusual. Usually they get three or four year deals.

July 22nd, 2005, 8:33 am
QB Coach

Post Re: Bears News (Thump Belton, Desmond Clark, Airese Currie)
m2karateman wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
The News
The Bears signed fifth-round draft pick Airese Currie to a five-year contract on Wednesday. The Chicago Sun-Times reports the wide receiver's deal is worth $2.3 million, including a $230,000 signing bonus.

A five year deal for a fifth round pick? That's highly unusual. Usually they get three or four year deals.

Exactly what I was thinking. They must be real high on him. He put a clinic on Antrel Rolle.

July 22nd, 2005, 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Michael Huff for DROY

July 23rd, 2005, 10:03 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I thought we kept "Thump" Belton?

Cut him last January and Da Bears snagged him off waivers

July 23rd, 2005, 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]