View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Moore shares credit, raises expectations for his offense 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Moore shares credit, raises expectations for his offense
July 24, 2005

Moore shares credit, raises expectations for his offense

Related articles
? Camp Perfection
? Preseason roster
? Players to watch
? Dungy tries to treat trip to Tokyo as opportunity
? Colts' depth chart

By Mike Chappell
mike.chappell@indystar.com

The man in charge of one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history is as unappeasable as he is unassuming.

Inconspicuous away from the football field, Tom Moore is demanding come game day.

He demands fans' attention: Blink, and you're liable to miss the pyrotechnics authored by the Indianapolis Colts' 66-year-old offensive coordinator.

And he demands ever more from his players.

This year he aims for the Colts to better the club records generated in 2004 -- 522 points, 6,475 total yards and 4,623 net passing yards foremost among them. And, yes, he wants to improve on the league-record 49 touchdown passes by Peyton Manning.

Entering his eighth season as the brains behind the offense, Moore provided a glimpse of what drives him and his offense during a break from workouts.

Question: How do you assess the 2004 season from an offensive standpoint?

Moore: We accomplished our main objectives. But whatever we accomplished, we can certainly do better this year. There's no reason that we can't be more productive. We've still got a long ways to go. That's what we shoot for. We're never satisfied.

People always talk about wins and losses. I don't . . . All I talk about is getting better. If we don't get better, you aren't going to win. If you get better, the wins take care of themselves.

Question: How do you get better after 2004? Does Manning throw 52 TD passes instead of 49?

Moore: Why not?

Question: Because that hasn't been done before.

Moore: Nobody had 49 until last year. And if Marcus (Pollard) catches the other one against Tennessee (a dropped TD), we've got 50. Why can't we be better? We've got to be better.

Question: You have been part of some of the most productive offenses in NFL history. The '95 Detroit Lions with Scott Mitchell, Barry Sanders and Herman Moore. This run with the Colts, especially last season. What pleased you most about '04?

Moore: This offense is not about Tom Moore. This offense is about players. When you see individuals have success based on how hard they work and the time and energy they put in, that's it. They've earned this success.

Question: Manning has improved every season. How?

Moore: No. 1, he's a great quarterback. Hands down, he's special. Then you factor in stability within the offense and the receiving corps, stability within the coaching staff. Myself and Howard (Mudd, offensive line coach), we've been here the full time with him. Stability and experience are great factors, the continuity.

Question: What role has quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell played in his development?

Moore: Jim has done a great job with Peyton. Peyton has great confidence in him and great respect for him. Jim's with him all the time, studying him, watching his mechanics . . . his techniques.

Question: How should people perceive Tom Moore?

Moore: I don't ever want to be called conservative and I don't ever want to have it said that we lack creativity. That's why we spend a lot of time in the offseason trying to do a lot of things. We'll do the same things, but we'll doctor them up and make them a little different. You've got to tweak it. We want to be able to take advantage of the players we've got.

Call Star reporter Mike Chappell at (317) 444-6830.

July 24th, 2005, 9:21 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I think Tom Moore may be the best OC in the game today. He worked the same magic here in Detroit with Scott Mitchell as QB. Having Manning just makes his job that much easier.

Good post Ferris - but maybe it should be in "Around the League" not in here.

July 24th, 2005, 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

July 24th, 2005, 1:13 pm
Hall of Fame Player

anyone know why we let this guy go?

Great question!

I suspect it was Fontes' usual fear of letting anyone on his staff overshaddow him. John Terrlink suffered the same fate.

July 24th, 2005, 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]