View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 8:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Smith Signs 
Fair Weather Fan

Post Smith Signs
49ERS avoid a holdout with alex smith by signing him... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

July 25th, 2005, 8:39 pm
RIP Killer

Hopefully that will open the first round signing floodgates.

July 25th, 2005, 8:41 pm
Hall of Fame Player

But Man!!!

Who else thinks $57 Mil (guaranteed $24 million) is overpaying for Smith.

If I was Aaron Rodgers I'd hunt my agent down and kill him.

July 25th, 2005, 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

The key point there is guaranteed money. If smith turns out to suck the contract dollars gets cut in half. Still you are right and as with so many young QBs taken in the 1st rd they are paying way too much money for the performance they will get in the 1st few yrs of his contract, esp given that they dont have much around him.

July 25th, 2005, 10:54 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Former University of Utah quarterback Alex Smith, the 1st overall pick in the NFL draft, addresses the media as a new member of the San Francisco 49ers in Santa Clara, Calif. in this April 24, 2005 file photo. Smith agreed to terms Monday, July 25, 2005 on a six-year, $57 million deal with the 49ers. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

If you rmember the 49ers were talking with Aaron Rodgers agent who wanted Eli Manning money plus 5 - 10%. The 49ers then said forget it and turned their attention to Smith.

If Rodgers people would have talked less money - he might have been signing for a lot more than he's about to. How much of a pay cut is that going to be.

As for Smith getting Eli Manning money - that is WAY overpayment for him.

So far Eli Manning hasn't earned Eli Manning money!

July 26th, 2005, 6:32 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

They will fall like dominoes!!

But Man!!!

Who else thinks $57 Mil (guaranteed $24 million) is overpaying for Smith.

If I was Aaron Rodgers I'd hunt my agent down and kill him.

Let's face facts, many of these players are making way too much money. If there is anything wrong in the NFL, it's that veteran players are getting jettisoned from teams so that they can sign unproven rookies to lucrative contracts. It shouldn't be that way. The contracts should be set up differently, with less guaranteed money. This way, if a player doesn't work out it won't hurt the team financially over the course of the next few years.

July 26th, 2005, 9:19 am
RIP Killer

Let's face facts, many of these players are making way too much money. If there is anything wrong in the NFL, it's that veteran players are getting jettisoned from teams so that they can sign unproven rookies to lucrative contracts. It shouldn't be that way. The contracts should be set up differently, with less guaranteed money. This way, if a player doesn't work out it won't hurt the team financially over the course of the next few years.

See Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Heath Shuler, Cade McNown, and every other top 10 bust in history. These chumps all got signed to huge money and totally flopped. Rookie contracts are rediculous and there's no way to stop it. The league won't halve rookie contracts because all hell would break loose. These contracts are just going to get more and more outrageous.

Last edited by conversion02 on July 26th, 2005, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 26th, 2005, 9:45 am
RIP Killer

See Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Heath Shuler, Cade McNown, and every other top 10 bust in history. These chumps all got signed to huge money and totally flopped. Rookie contracts are rediculous and there's no way to stop it. The league won't halve rookie contracts because all hell would break loose. These contracts are just going to get more and more outrageous.

I think, if the NFL really wanted to, they could put this under more control. Reducing the salary cap for incoming rookies is one way. Having a signing bonus cap based on years of service is another. Unfortunately, that won't fly with A) the players union and B) the agents. However, the veteran NFL players should tell the union to shut the f--- up about limiting rookie signing bonus'. As I said, it's because of the money that the rookies are being given that the veterans are being forced to reduce their salaries or being released entirely. The agents should shut up because they should look to make money on the veteran contracts being signed, and not just off the rookies.

July 26th, 2005, 9:53 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

See Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Heath Shuler, Cade McNown, and every other top 10 bust in history

OOHHHHHH......the nightmares :crybaby:

Tim

July 26th, 2005, 11:10 am
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
See Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Heath Shuler, Cade McNown, and every other top 10 bust in history

How did Ryan Leaf's name NOT make this distinguished list?

July 26th, 2005, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Think about this though...the rookies have NO say before they are signed right? And all the players currently in the NFL would benefit from having rookies as more expendable than vets...if they could swing it the league could convince the players union that it's in the best interest for exisiting vets to vote because their jobs wouldn't be at such risks from new crops of rookies cause teams aren't so burdened and obligated to keep them. Just a thought...

July 26th, 2005, 11:17 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

TADOne wrote:
Quote:

Well, I figure everyone had enough of the Leaf Man, Andre Ware has to be the biggest flop of all time, so he had to get thrown on that list as a #1. I'd rather punch myself in the groin than watch Ryan Leaf play.

theAlphaMale wrote:
Think about this though...the rookies have NO say before they are signed right? And all the players currently in the NFL would benefit from having rookies as more expendable than vets...if they could swing it the league could convince the players union that it's in the best interest for exisiting vets to vote because their jobs wouldn't be at such risks from new crops of rookies cause teams aren't so burdened and obligated to keep them. Just a thought...

I understand that, but I don't think they could. The agents and the NCAA would have too much to say about it IMO. I don't know. I don't know how it all works, but I just couldn't see it happening.

July 26th, 2005, 11:38 am
Hall of Fame Player

LionFan57 wrote:
TADOne wrote:
Quote:

Well, I figure everyone had enough of the Leaf Man, Andre Ware has to be the biggest flop of all time, so he had to get thrown on that list as a #1. I'd rather punch myself in the groin than watch Ryan Leaf play....

That actualy might be fun to watch!! :lol:

BTY, Andre' Ware is the second biggest Lions flop of all time...

You're to young to remember...

Chuck Long

July 26th, 2005, 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

BTY, Andre' Ware is the second biggest Lions flop of all time...

You're to young to remember...

Chuck Long

But Ware was the 7th overall selection in the draft!

I'm not too sure, but where was Long selected?

Tim

July 26th, 2005, 12:12 pm
RIP Killer

Leaf was taken 2nd overall...but Ware just had massive expectations. He was supposed to be this supreme stud QB and was absolutely horrible.

Long was taken 12th overall. Long was a Hawkeye. Going to school in Iowa, I have to give the former Hawkeye some love (too bad the Cyclones are better).

July 26th, 2005, 12:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next