View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 11:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Smith Signs 
Hall of Fame Player

Quote:
BTY, Andre' Ware is the second biggest Lions flop of all time...

You're to young to remember...

Chuck Long

But Ware was the 7th overall selection in the draft!

I'm not too sure, but where was Long selected?

And...

conversion02 wrote:
Leaf was taken 2nd overall...but Ware just had massive expectations. He was supposed to be this supreme stud QB and was absolutely horrible.

Long was taken 12th overall. Long was a Hawkeye. Going to school in Iowa, I have to give the former Hawkeye some love (too bad the Cyclones are better).

I call them flops more because of how they played and what they looked like on the field; not so much because of the 5 draft spots separating them.

Ware had a cannon for an arm!! He could throw the ball a mile but couldn't hit the ground if he aimed for it. He couldn't read a defense to save his life and was entirely overwhelmed in the NFL. Truth be told he is simply not a very smart person - there's no way around it.

He was fun to watch because of his scrambling ability - he was very athletic and went on to play in the CFL.

Chuck 'wait to' Long was just plain scarred. He was afraid of his own shadow. You think you heard stories about Scott Mitchell being called a 'pussy'? It was brutal for Long - the team despised him. His own team mates could not stand him and he was nicknamed 'Farm Boy'.

In those days a handful of players would go to Bennigans (Woodward and Square Lk. Rd) after the games. I was there also after every game. I remember Long came in one day and it was like EF Hutton walked into the room. Dead quite. His teammates just glared at him. I was at the bar a few feet away from Eddie Murray - Chuck walked up and said 'hi' and Murray just walked away. Didn't say a word.

Long couldn't throw, scramble, read a defense or inspire any confidence. He was a total loss and Fontes couldn't wait to shake him loose.

They were both terrible - I just think Long was worse.

July 26th, 2005, 1:02 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

BTY, Andre' Ware is the second biggest Lions flop of all time...

You're to young to remember...

Chuck Long

I still have Andre Wares rookie card....

I keep it around in case I run out of toilet paper 8)

July 26th, 2005, 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2