View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2014, 10:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hold Out City 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Hold Out City
Our NFC North competition is having a lot of hold out problems. I guess we have got Rosenhaus/Drummond, but what can they do?

Bears are a long way from Benson:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Walker threatens hold out too.

Our defense is looking better all the time.

July 25th, 2005, 11:24 pm
RIP Killer

Walker already said a holdout was definate.

Bubba's planning a holdout as well.

Wonder if Brian Williams is going to hold out too. I know he was complaining about now being a nickle back and that his contract sucks...he's just bitter.

July 26th, 2005, 7:42 am

Football is a team game. The spiritual dimension of good teams is often overlooked, but it is one element in winning. Our competition, especially GB and MN have had to cope with a lot of off-the-field issues. That does not bode well for them.

July 26th, 2005, 8:03 am
Hall of Fame Player

Football is a team game. The spiritual dimension of good teams is often overlooked, but it is one element in winning. Our competition, especially GB and MN have had to cope with a lot of off-the-field issues. That does not bode well for them.

I agree with every word!!

July 26th, 2005, 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Vet

Green Bay needs to start the Bring Back Schroeder campaign

In fact for the low low price on $9.95 they could locate him http://www.peoplefinders.com/?from=1956 ... =Schroeder

July 26th, 2005, 10:55 am
RIP Killer

Green Bay needs to start the Bring Back Schroeder campaign

In fact for the low low price on $9.95 they could locate him http://www.peoplefinders.com/?from=1956 ... =Schroeder

I think I saw him shipping his services around on e-bay. Somewhere in the antiques section, I think.

July 26th, 2005, 11:20 am

"Chief among them is wide receiver Javon Walker but the list includes tight end Bubba Franks and possibly defensive linemen Grady Jackson and Cletidus Hunt.

``Obviously those are guys that are on the team and (we) want them back. But the guys that we really have to focus on right now are the guys that are here,'' Sherman said. ``We have a lot of good guys that I'm anxious to work with. "

If I am not mistaken that is GB's starting interior line. KJ must have his eyes bulging. Even if those guys show up late, they figure to be way out of shape. I would feature running up the middle late and often. You would want to start out with screen and sweeps to tire them out. :wink:

July 26th, 2005, 5:45 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I think players that hold out are just plain low class scum. Rosenhaus is not much better if at all.

The writer of this article is an rectum, IMO, for using the Teddy Bruschi tragedy to support the position of hold out players. While I don't like the tone, angle or sentiment of this article it is interesting to get the 'Rosenhaus' side of the argument.

Quote:
July 26, 2005

Rosenhaus, players tired of double standard

By Greg Garber
ESPN.com

On the same day Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi announced he will sit out the 2005 season after suffering a stroke in February, three other NFL-related stories were also hitting the press. Agent Drew Rosenhaus said Packers wide receiver Javon Walker would almost certainly be a no-show at Packers training camp, while Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens was a "50-50" chance to show up, and Colts running back Edgerrin James also was mulling a holdout.

The stories were not unrelated.

In the NFL, where the average career lasts 3.2 years, earning power is only as strong as the body is able. Walker, Owens and James -- proven performers -- want more money. Now.

Although the Patriots are expected to pay Bruschi his $850,000 salary, the teams in Philadelphia, Green Bay and Indianapolis have not been receptive to requests by Rosenhaus and his publicly unhappy players to renegotiate.

Rosenhaus truly lives for these contentious situations. On Thursday, two days after he was credited with saving the life of a young boy at a Disney World resort hotel by administering cardiopulmonary resuscitation, the NFL's busiest agent was sitting in his Miami home office, preparing for combat.

"You get more work done at training camp than at any other time of the year, other than the very beginning of free agency," Rosenhaus said. "Most camps start around the end of [the] week, and I anticipate some discussions. I hope everything changes and no one misses camp. The teams state their positions, but they have a way of changing when training camp is on the horizon. I could have a couple, but I don't anticipate having many.

...Continued...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingc ... id=2116066

:roll:

July 27th, 2005, 5:56 am
Profile WWW

Right, I think it comes to honoring the contract. No one denies football is a tough game that takes a toll on the body. However, if contracts are guaranteed and players like Batch and Moore get their money despite not living up to the value of the contract than players cannot hold out when they have "outperformed" it. It cuts both ways. Actually, I would have no problem redoing Javon Walker as long as you redo the bums too. Maybe the NFL needs a more flexible free market system with salary more tied to performance. We already see that formula working out well for the unheralded guys. Maybe we can apply that to everyone. Put 35% of NFL salaries in escrow and award it according to a performance formula. Something has to be done. The hold outs are getting out of hand. This is very serious for a game that relies upon continuity and cohesion.

July 27th, 2005, 6:07 am

Packer's owners/shareholders say hold the line on Walker:

July 27th, 2005, 7:30 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=2118216

Hopefully Drummond is as toothless.

July 27th, 2005, 10:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Packer's owners/shareholders say hold the line on Walker:

Yorick,

I think this is great!! Glad to see what the Packer Backers are saying.

Here's Jay Mohr's point of view...

Quote:
Taking a stand

Give NFL owners credit for not renegotiating deals

Tuesday July 26, 2005 2:53PM

"I'm a holdout" = "I'm a jerk"

Two years ago, shortly before the playoffs began, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers did something that caught us all off guard. They deactivated, and later traded, wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson. Apparently the Glazer brothers had had enough of what New Yorkers were well aware of four years earlier: Keyshawn wants the damn ball. After averaging 76 catches a year with the Jets, the former first-round stud complained his way out of the biggest market in football and into the lap of the Bucs. "Meyshawn" averaged two fewer catches a season in the same amount of time with his new club. Now with the Dallas Cowboys, Keyshawn has quick slanted his way from probable Hall of Famer to reliable possession receiver.

The Bucs set a precedent when they cut ties with Keyshawn Johnson in 2003.

The release of Keyshawn seamed to get the ball rolling for the shifting of power from athletes to GMs and owners in the constant battle for leverage. With a single pink slip, the Buccaneers may have fortunately ushered in the era of "Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya" when it comes to spoiled athletes.

If we fast forward to this current off season, Keyshawn by comparison to his fellow wideouts looks almost altruistic. Everyone this side of China is well aware that Terrell Owens is the greatest wide receiver today. But apparently when it comes to renegotiating his contract, Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie has two words for T.O.: Big Deal.

Owens did not attend voluntary workouts earlier this year after Lurie told anyone who would listen that Terrell was most certainly not going to receive one red cent more than his current contract dictated.

Mr. Lurie, I think I speak on behalf of every football fan not living in Philadelphia when I say "Thank you."

I apologize to Mr. Owens. I realize how hard it must be to live on $49 million. Ol' Terrell must have been having an off day when he thought $49 million for seven years was a fair and profitable deal. Unfortunately, there are no mulligans when it comes to pro football contracts. If there were, Green Bay receiver Javon Walker would be re-teeing his ball as we speak. The Packers are telling Walker not to check his mailbox for more money anytime soon. The 27-year-old Walker is currently earning $500,000 to play 16 football games. Alas, Javon needs more dough, so he also, is a no-show. There is little doubt that both receivers will eventually return to their teams and contribute. But is so much needless public posturing worth the respect and goodwill they lose with football fans everywhere? I say no.

After watching Owens at the Super Bowl last year I became a huge fan. Now, after his holdout, I just think he's a jerk. I never had much of an opinion of Walker at all, but now, he, too, is a jerk.

I have an idea I would like to extend to Terrell, Javon and the rest of the holdouts this off season. How about investing some faith in yourself. If these guys really think they are underpaid, why shouldn't they simply rely on their hard work and abilities to ensure that teams have no choice but to pay them more money?

My hat is off to all owners who are not caving into spoiled athletes who, let's face it, will never be satisfied. Hopefully the message sent to other ingrates will be heard loud and clear: "Get your rectum to work!"

Jay Mohr / SI.com

GREAT article!!

I agree with the sentiment.

July 28th, 2005, 6:51 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

The News
Packers nose tackle Grady Jackson, who threatened to hold out of training camp to protest his contract, failed his physical and may end up on the physically unable to perform list, reports the Green Bay Press Gazette.
Our View
Well, this certainly isn't going to help him get a new deal. There's no word yet on which part of the physical Jackson failed. He has more than a month to get himself healthy, but don't be surprised if the team puts him on the physically unable to perform list first.

Packers: Jackson wants out of Titletown
The News
Packers nose tackle Grady Jackson is in training camp, but the 340-pounder told the team on Thursday that he doesn't want to play for them anymore. "I just told [general manager Ted Thompson and vice president of player finance Andrew Brandt] I want to be cut or traded," he told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "I just talked to them and told them how I feel." Jackson is looking for the team to renegotiate the two-year, $2.31 million that he signed prior to last season.
Our View
Jackson is one of a handful of Drew Rosenhaus' clients who threatened to hold out of camp but decided against it. He feels he deserves to be paid like a top-10 run stuffing lineman, and while injuries remain a concern with him, his effect on the Packers' record is significant. Green Bay is 15-6, including playoffs, in the games he has played since joining the team in November of 2003 and 2-4 when he hasn't been able to suit up.

Steelers: Ward threatens to sit out

The News
Wide receiver Hines Ward said he won't show up for training camp and is willing to sit out the season unless he receives a contract extension. "I just want my fair market value, that's all I can ask for," Ward told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I'm not asking to break the bank or anything." Ward added that the Steelers indicated to him last season that a new deal would be a priority, but that no agreement has been reached and the team had contacted his agent only once, with an initial offer that Ward's representative countered. Ward also said he would sit out "as long as it takes," according to teh Post-Gazette. "I don't want to see it come to that. I love playing football, I love putting on the black and gold, but what's fair is fair, and that's all I can really ask for. It's sad to see for it to come to this, but the NFL is part business as well as going out there and performing on the field."
Our View
The Post-Gazette reported earlier this week that the Steelers' offer would make Ward the highest-paid player in team history, and sources indicated the signing bonus would be in the $8-$9 million neighborhood. Ward, however, has said he wants as much guaranteed money as possible and may be seeking something more in line with the $12 million signing bonus Muhsin Muhammad received from the Bears. In all likelihood something will get done sooner rather than later, so there's no need to start sliding Ward down your cheat sheet just yet.

July 30th, 2005, 11:22 am

The Packers are in big trouble. I can not think of a weaker team in the middle. KJ will punish them and this will help us on the Frozen Tundra in December.

July 30th, 2005, 12:40 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I'm glad we only have two holding out (BMW and Drummond)... Makes us look out of picture! :D

Michael Huff for DROY

July 30th, 2005, 3:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next