View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 2:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Clarett takes the high-risk contract. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Clarett takes the high-risk contract.
Quote:
Clarett takes the high-risk, high-reward road again

By Eddie Pells / Associated Press

DENVER -- Given that many folks thought he wouldn't get drafted at all, Maurice Clarett might have felt like he won the lottery when the Denver Broncos chose him in the third round.

Then, what did Clarett do?

He passed on the guaranteed $400,000 signing bonus he could have taken, instead choosing an incentive-filled deal that could earn him first-round money ... or leave him broke.

It was the kind of move that fits right in with the rookie tailback's pattern of high-risk, high-reward decisions -- leaving school, suing the NFL, quitting in the middle of the league's scouting combine.

This latest gambit has sparked a debate between those who think he did a good thing -- not asking for anything up front, instead seeking to earn every penny -- and those who think he was foolish because if he gets hurt, or cut, or banished to the practice squad before the season begins, he will have no cash to show for his efforts.

"I don't want to get into the contract thing with the public," Clarett said Friday, after his first practice at training camp. "It was just the best situation for me and the Broncos and the coaches. It's just what my agent sat down and did."

Clarett's agent, Steve Feldman, did not return messages left at his office by The Associated Press. In an interview with the Denver Post, Feldman said he and Clarett didn't view the contract as a risk.

"This is an out-of-the-box deal, but we think it works well for Maurice and the Broncos," Feldman said.

It could net Clarett up to $7 million over the life of the four-year deal if he reaches all the goals and triggers a number of escalator clauses written into the contract.

As it stands now, though, he has nothing. He is scheduled to earn the rookie minimum $230,000, but that's only if he makes the regular-season roster.

Since contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed, it makes signing bonuses like the one Clarett passed on that much more important. Instead of what would have been about a $410,000 signing bonus, Clarett's contract calls for him to make that money in workout bonuses that would be spread over the final three years of his contract.

He'll earn that money, of course, only if he's on the roster.

Clarett said the decision to sign a unique contract had nothing to do with him trying to prove himself, a key issue for a player who has been through so much turmoil, and who hasn't played a down since the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 3, 2003.

"The contract is something else," Clarett said. "I think I just need to come out here day-to-day and work to try to improve the team. I believe that if I come out and do everything I am supposed to do, stay healthy and keep competing, I will be all right and we can all win games."

Clarett reported to camp at 233 pounds, about three pounds above where the team wanted him, but a good 15 to 20 pounds lighter than what he weighed during his disastrous workout at the NFL scouting combine in February.

He worked out with the reserves through most of the first practice, which is where he's expected to end up this season if he makes the roster.

Asked how Clarett looked in his first practice, coach Mike Shanahan spoke in generalities.

"You know, we've had these guys since the middle of May, so all the rookies have been given the chance to digest our system," Shanahan said. "But this is the first time they get to do it full speed and do it in a setting where we are actually at camp."

Clarett said some things have come easier than others since he began working out with the Broncos in May. Working on blocking schemes at the pro level is difficult. Running the ball and finding holes is easier.

He said at the minicamps, he was thinking more about himself than the team.

Now, though?

"I came in with a different attitude," he said. "I think it was a little bit selfish at first, but once you get out here with the team and coaches, you realize that it is about something a lot bigger than you."

And while speaking the party line about "team" certainly will serve Clarett well with his teammates, nobody needs to succeed for personal reasons more than him.

"We all know that everyone has to get their reps and there are five running backs," he said. "You figure out that you may get one rep all practice, so you better do your best in that rep and just continue to work on it on and off the field."

I'm not a fan of Clerett's by any stretch, in fact, I think he's a punk; If not a criminal.

But... there is something admirable about this move... Or, very foolish and no one will know for a few years down the road.

Regardless, I believe he's an angry young man who is destined for problems in the future if he doesn't change his attitude and grow up. The dilemma is... it's hard to tell which direction he's headed in from this maneuver.

July 30th, 2005, 8:57 am
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Rookie

I cant figure this guy out. Honestly I think he is a good young guy, who has learned some hard leasons and wants to work hard to prove himself.

I remember reading about him at the combine and how he was bulked up and had worked hard, but then walked out of the combine when his times werent that good. I see that as someone who has worked really hard and been through a long tough period, and is dying to turn things around. Then things dont go well and it crushed him.

Whether he will be a good football player or not... I think maybe, but who knows.

July 30th, 2005, 10:15 am
Bubbles the Lion

Claret is a very good football player,with natural savvy and feel for the
game.Off the field he doesn't make the best decisions.This one ranks
up there amongst his worst.He's been injury prone since his high school
days,so there's a good chance he'll get injured in the league.This could be his last year in the pro's,you never know.

Feldman will probably have a hard time getting clients from here on out.
The other agents will bad mouth him so bad that many players won't
even consider him.He had to know Clarett's injury history,wow this is
as bad as T.O.'s former agent forgetting to send in his free agent papers
to The Niners.

No signing bonus at all ??? WOW !!

July 30th, 2005, 2:02 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I wouldn't have gave him anymore... He's missed 2 years of football, he's out of shape and extremly unproven. Clarret is making the right choice if he want's an NFL job.

Michael Huff for DROY

July 30th, 2005, 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

He is obviously not the brightest bulb in the knive drawer.....

didnt this guy learn anything from Ricky Williams :roll:

July 30th, 2005, 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

I wouldn't have gave him anymore... He's missed 2 years of football, he's out of shape and extremly unproven. Clarret is making the right choice if he want's an NFL job.

P.S. Nice avatar HDM.... dont know where you get em, but I want em

July 30th, 2005, 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

I don't think The Broncos decided to not pay a signing bonus,The NFLPA would be all over them.They'd have to give a signing bonus
if Clarett wanted one because it's standard practice.This is about
a player & an agent that gaffed big time (possibly).

As far as Clarett being unproven,I disagree.He walked into Ohio State
and took over the starting job quickly.His only year there he showed
an inate ability to read blocking schemes and let them develope before
hitting holes.Though he lacks pure speed,he has the strength to shrug off tackles.In fact he's pretty hard to bring down from what I've seen.He averaged 5 yards a carry,the other backs averaged under
4 yards a carry.Opponents game planned to stop him and you just don't
do that unless a player is good.In that championship game he was probably the best player on the field(he played LB in that game some also),with all talented future pro's on the field.His ablility has never been
a problem,his attitude ? That's another story.

Barring injury he will be a very good player,but that's the kicker,he seems
to get hurt lot.That's why the no signing bonus could turn out to be a huge mistake.
mistake.

July 31st, 2005, 4:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]