View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 9:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 What is going on in Philly? 
RIP Killer

Post What is going on in Philly?
From KFFL:
Quote:
Eagles | Westbrook Has No Leverage
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:38:30 -0700

Bob Brookover, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports Philadelphia Eagles holdout RB Brian Westbrook and his agent want a long-term deal, but they are also aware that if Westbrook isn't in camp by Monday, Aug. 8, he will lose his potential to become an unrestricted free agent after the year. Per the collective bargaining agreement, any player under contract that does not report 30 days before the first NFL game of the regular season loses a year of credited service. Thus, the Eagles have all of the leverage at this time. His agent noted they are going to continue to look at all of their options. The Eagles have reportedly offered Westbrook a five-year deal with a signing bonus in the $9 million range.

AND

Bills | Interested in Simon?
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 06:31:08 -0700

Mark Eckel, of the Trenton Times, reports according to a very reliable league source, the Buffalo Bills have been looking into the possibility of acquiring Philadelphia Eagles DT Corey Simon, the team's unsigned franchise player. Two other sources confirmed the Bills' interest. Now it's a matter of Buffalo getting Simon to agree to a contract and coming up with compensation for the Eagles. Eagles' president Joe Banner said he has not heard from the Bills, but he indicated he might be willing to listen if and when they do call. The compensation is not clear at this point. "If the Eagles were going to take a second and a third from Baltimore (Ravens), I'm sure they would take the same from Buffalo," the league source. "The Bills will probably try to get him for less. But the tough part might be getting Simon to go there."

Westbrook must be on crack. A five year deal, with a nine million dollar signing bonus, and that's not enough?! Is Terrell Owens his agent?

As for the Simon deal, Philly has enough talent along the D-line to cover his loss. But I don't know if I cough up a second AND third rounder in 2006 to land him if I am in Buffalo. Since it seems that Simon has no intention of playing in Philly, the Eagles should be willing to take just a second rounder and spend that money elsewhere.

August 5th, 2005, 12:44 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

This is the 1st time I heard Philly offered Westbrook a long term deal with a $9 million signing bonus. I thought his beef was that the Eagles had not offered anything long term and that was why he is holding out. I can't believe he would leave that type of bonus on the table. His agent must be giving him some bad advice. He is an exceptional player, but I don't think any other offense will display his abilities quite like the offense the Eagles have installed around him and McNabb. He would be wise to sign before they take the offer off the table.

As for Simon, he is a talent but thinks he is better than he actually is. The Eagles have been fair to him. He has had various injuries since his rookie year and the Eagles just don't want to make a bad investment. But you are right Mike. If he does not wish to play and just be a distraction, the Eagles should listen to other offers and take the best one offered to them. They have planty of talent on that line even without him being there.

Its addition by subtraction. Get rid of any bad apples because you still have a good core group. Lord knows they already got enough distractions with TO!

Tim

August 5th, 2005, 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]