View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 7:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dilfer warns Browns top pick: Holding out hurts 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Dilfer warns Browns top pick: Holding out hurts
Dilfer warns Browns top pick: Holding out hurts
?
?
Aug. 4, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports
?

BEREA, Ohio -- As rookie wide receiver Braylon Edwards' contract holdout presses on, Browns quarterback Trent Dilfer is reminded of a mistake he made before taking his first NFL snap.
One that cost him part of his career.

Like Edwards, who remains unsigned by Cleveland, Dilfer missed the first part of his first training camp in 1994 so he could get a sweeter deal from Tampa Bay.

Looking back, Dilfer wishes he had made another choice.

"I held out for 12 days," Dilfer said. "It was a wonderful decision financially and a horrible decision football-wise. Being completely honest with that, if I had to go back to do it all over again, I'd have sacrificed the $2 million I made to be a better football player my first couple years."

Edwards' holdout showed no signs of ending Thursday as agent Lamont Smith and the Browns were at a standstill in their negotiations.

The club has presented Smith with five-year and six-year proposals for the No. 3 overall pick from Michigan, who in addition to missing the first week of training camp was also absent from the team's minicamp in June because of a family funeral and leg injury.

The sides still have several major issues to resolve, including Edwards' signing bonus and guaranteed money. Last year's No. 3 pick, wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, got $20 million guaranteed from Arizona.

Smith did not return a phone message seeking comment.

As his agent tries to finalize a deal, Edwards is in New Orleans working out with his father, Stan, a former NFL running back.

Edwards isn't the only top pick unsigned. Running back Ronnie Brown, drafted No. 2 overall by Miami, and Cedric Benson, taken with the No. 4 pick by Chicago, have also not reported to camp.

Dilfer was the sixth overall selection in 1994 by the Buccaneers, taken three picks after Washington took quarterback Heath Shuler. At the time, Dilfer felt he should get more money than Shuler because he had been rated higher by many teams before the draft.

After finally signing his deal, Dilfer struggled in his first two seasons as a pro. As a rookie, he played in just five games, making two starts. He threw one touchdown and six interceptions.

The next season under coach Sam Wyche, he started all 16 games but his numbers were awful: four TDs, 18 interceptions and a 60.1 quarterback rating. The Buccaneers went 7-9 and Wyche was fired following the season.

Dilfer partly blames himself for that.

"I've gone back to coach Wyche and apologized to him because I felt like my decision at that time ended up costing him his job because I never developed the way I was supposed to develop," Dilfer said.

Edwards is running the same risk by not being in camp. Depending on when he finally signs, Edwards will have to get up to speed quickly. That will mean extra time watching film, running routes after practice and burying his nose in the Browns' playbook.

And as Dilfer learned the hard way, there's no way to make up for lost time.

"I completely stunted my development as a football player," Dilfer said. "I was never able to catch up. I worked as hard as I possibly could, but there's no substitution for reps, there's no substitution for camaraderie and there's no substitution for a trust level with your teammates.

"I sacrificed all those the first couple years of my career."

August 5th, 2005, 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I agree with Dilfer here. He doesn't need to hold out now, BMW and Williamson signed so what's the big deal now?

Michael Huff for DROY

August 5th, 2005, 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

I agree with Dilfer here. He doesn't need to hold out now, BMW and Williamson signed so what's the big deal now?

I agree!

Dilfer is giving him good advice.

Cleveland doesn't need this going on either. Once Edwards signs everyone can get back to talking about what an rectum Winslow is. :P

August 5th, 2005, 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

I am a big UM fan but Edwards is way overrated and a total clown. This guy is bad news. I know not all of the top 5 picks have signed but this is really predictable from Braylon.

August 7th, 2005, 10:19 am
QB Coach

I am a big UM fan but Edwards is way overrated and a total clown. This guy is bad news. I know not all of the top 5 picks have signed but this is really predictable from Braylon.

My "criticize meter" just went off, but i'm on probation.

BTW - doesn't Ronnie Brown play tomorrow night? He's missing his first game!

August 7th, 2005, 7:17 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

my david terrell meter is going off so you might as well go for it brian...

August 7th, 2005, 11:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]