View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Lions' Jones and Williams want Benson in camp 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Lions' Jones and Williams want Benson in camp
Lions' Jones and Williams want Benson in camp

BY DON PIERSON

Chicago Tribune

ALLEN PARK, Mich. - (KRT) - Detroit Lions receiver Roy Williams was a teammate of Bears' draft choice Cedric Benson two years ago at Texas. Williams hopes Benson stays unsigned.

"That would help us," Williams said.

Williams and Lions running back Kevin Jones were first-round draft choices last year who both signed before training camp started. They say Benson is missing valuable time.

"He needs to get in camp," Williams said. "He has to handle his business part first, but he has to get in camp and get your legs going. You're going to get bumps and bruises. You want to get them early in camp and get them rested up."

Jones averaged 34 yards a game rushing in September, 35 yards in October, 75 yards in November and 138 in December, when he led the league.

"I signed the first chance I had to sign. I didn't really care about who signed around me," Jones said. "I just wanted to get a chance to get on the field and set an example for the team. My advice to all the young guys coming in is get in camp. Sometimes the agents have a job to do to get their clients paid. And the teams have a job to do, too. For me, I had to get in camp."

Jones said his progress was slower than he expected even with a full training camp.

"The biggest adjustment was probably pass blocking," Jones said. "I had to do it in college, but I had one or two guys and that was it. Here you have to read the defensive line and know who your linemen are getting and read the linebackers and the safety rotation - all that sort of stuff. It takes time. That's why I was saying as a rookie running back, I think you should get in camp and try to learn as much as you can."

Jones said it also takes time to learn how to run in the pros.

"I was a little bit impatient," he said. "There were plays when I was bouncing outside and if I had waited a second more I could have picked up blocks. Defenses are a lot faster and you feel like you have to go now. I started realizing that guy who was coming is going to get blocked and you don't have to bounce, cut back and all that."

August 10th, 2005, 3:08 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Aren't the title and the first two lines completely contradictory?

August 10th, 2005, 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Aren't the title and the first two lines completely contradictory?

I thought that as well :roll: But I was pretty tired last night when I posted it so I thought it might just be me

:nerd: dark1.gif

August 10th, 2005, 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]