View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 1st, 2014, 9:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Random News - Pollack, Rolle, Bills OL, Hakim, PacMan 
RIP Killer

Post Random News - Pollack, Rolle, Bills OL, Hakim, PacMan
From Fanball.com

Bengals: Lewis demotes holdout Pollack
The News
As first-round pick David Pollack continues to hold out, the Bengals are preparing to move on without him. Head coach Marvin Lewis moved Pollack, a scheduled starter, to third-string strong-side linebacker on the team's official depth chart. "We focus on the guys we've got, and at some point [Pollack and his agent] have to come to a decision and realize that it's time to play football," Lewis told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "We're going to do everything we can to win football games, so we're not going to jeopardize our football team if he's not up to speed in certain areas. I can't subject the other 52 players and our coaches to that." Landon Johnson, a natural outside linebacker who moved to the middle last season and was competing with rookie Odell Thurman for that starting job, will slide over to the strong side and replace Pollack atop the depth chart; Marcus Wilkins is listed as Johnson's backup.
Our View
Lewis stressed that he still likes Pollack as a player and envisions him becoming a Kevin Greene-type of pass-rushing linebacker. But the 17th overall pick has missed 12 days of training camp, and the sides remain $300,000 to $400,000 of guaranteed money apart in a five-year, $9.5 million contract both parties have generally agreed upon. A source told the Enquirer that the Bengals' offer is approximately 10 percent more than the 17th pick in last year's draft received, but noted that the picks around Pollack have received an increase of about 15 percent more than the corresponding draft position from 2004. The Bengals could use all the defensive help they can get, so we'll see if they pry open the wallet a little more to get Pollack into the fold.

Titans: Unsigned Pacman rips teammates
The News
Upset at comments by teammates critical of his holdout, first-round pick Adam "Pacman" Jones fired back. "My teammates, I don't think they've been as loyal s they should have been in this situation," Jones told The Tennessean. "A lot of other guys around the league are holding out and my teammates are the only ones that are saying negative stuff about me." In particular, Jones has taken umbrage to comments by Pro Bowl linebacker Keith Bulluck. "It bothers me that I am not on the field," Jones continued. "But then I have to hear Keith Bulluck talking about me? As far as my teammate and everything, that will never change. But as far as the respect level off the field and me calling him for advice, that will never happen now." Jones added that Bulluck's comments won't pressure him to sign and get into camp because "Keith has never been in the situation I am in?Keith ain't never been drafted high." Bulluck was the Titans' first-round pick in 2000, No. 30 overall. Pacman also claims that he's called Bulluck 20 times and left messages but Bulluck doesn't answer and instead returns his calls at 7 a.m. "when he knows I am not going to answer the phone." Bulluck noted that he is in camp and has limited availability to return phone calls.
Our View
It might be worth noting that Jones is the only unsigned first-rounder who had not one but two run-ins with the law in the offseason, and he's still facing charges stemming from an altercation at a Nashville nightclub. The war of words between Jones and Bulluck also might have something to do with the fact that Jones was formerly represented by the same agent who represents Bulluck, but Pacman dismissed that agent and signed with a new agent shortly after the draft. Bulluck's most recent comments have been directed at the agent for holding Pacman out of camp. Meanwhile, the two sides are no closer to a deal and have not even been in contact recently, though Pacman's agent said he plans to be in Nashville later this week. For a defense that lost both its starting cornerbacks in the offseason, having their top pick at that position miss significant offseason time is hardly the ideal situation.

Saints: Hakim sidelined by hamstring injury

The News
Saints' wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim suffered a hamstring injury during a scrimmage, The Advocate reported on Tuesday. Head coach Jim Haslett described the injury as a slight pull, but Hakim is unlikely to play in Friday's preseason game against the Seahawks. The Saints signed Hakim as a free agent back in June.
Our View
Hakim is competing with second-year player Devery Henderson for the No. 3 wide receiver job behind starters Joe Horn and Donte' Stallworth. Henderson did not catch a pass last year, so Hakim is the strong favorite to win the job. However, Az hasn't scored more than four touchdowns in a single season since 1999, so he is essentially a non-factor in most fantasy leagues.

Bills: Two backup offensive linemen out for the season

The News
Head coach Mike Mularkey announced Monday that two offensive linemen ? Lawrence Smith and Ben Sobieski ? will likely miss the season with injuries. Smith, a guard who started eight games for Buffalo last year and who was providing depth behind starter Bennie Anderson in training camp, hurt his knee during Friday's practice with the Packers and was carted off the field. Sobieski hadn't yet suited up because of a back injury. Neither are expected to return this season.
Our View
Since neither Smith nor Sobieski were starters, this news isn't exactly devastating. In fact, both were in battles just to win backup jobs along the offensive line. Still, losing depth along a line that is already somewhat shaky is not a good thing. Willis McGahee owners will want to hope and pray that the Bills don't suffer too many more injuries along their offensive front.

Cardinals: Antrel rolls into camp
The News
Cornerback Antrel Rolle, the eight overall pick in April's draft, reached an agreement with the Cardinals on a six-year deal Tuesday, reports ESPN.com. Details of the contract are not yet available, but he is expected to receive about $12 million in guaranteed cash.
Our View
Despite missing more than a week of camp because of his holdout, Rolle is expected to be a starter for Cardinals when they open the season against the Giants. If he can perform well in the preseason and secure that starting gig, he'll be a quality sleeper candidate for those in IDP leagues.

August 10th, 2005, 7:55 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Random News - Pollack, Rolle, Bills OL, Hakim, PacMan
conversion02 wrote:
From Fanball.com

Titans: Unsigned Pacman rips teammates
The News
Upset at comments by teammates critical of his holdout, first-round pick Adam "Pacman" Jones fired back. "My teammates, I don't think they've been as loyal s they should have been in this situation," Jones told The Tennessean. "A lot of other guys around the league are holding out and my teammates are the only ones that are saying negative stuff about me." In particular, Jones has taken umbrage to comments by Pro Bowl linebacker Keith Bulluck. "It bothers me that I am not on the field," Jones continued. "But then I have to hear Keith Bulluck talking about me? As far as my teammate and everything, that will never change. But as far as the respect level off the field and me calling him for advice, that will never happen now." Jones added that Bulluck's comments won't pressure him to sign and get into camp because "Keith has never been in the situation I am in?Keith ain't never been drafted high." Bulluck was the Titans' first-round pick in 2000, No. 30 overall. Pacman also claims that he's called Bulluck 20 times and left messages but Bulluck doesn't answer and instead returns his calls at 7 a.m. "when he knows I am not going to answer the phone." Bulluck noted that he is in camp and has limited availability to return phone calls.
Our View
It might be worth noting that Jones is the only unsigned first-rounder who had not one but two run-ins with the law in the offseason, and he's still facing charges stemming from an altercation at a Nashville nightclub. The war of words between Jones and Bulluck also might have something to do with the fact that Jones was formerly represented by the same agent who represents Bulluck, but Pacman dismissed that agent and signed with a new agent shortly after the draft. Bulluck's most recent comments have been directed at the agent for holding Pacman out of camp. Meanwhile, the two sides are no closer to a deal and have not even been in contact recently, though Pacman's agent said he plans to be in Nashville later this week. For a defense that lost both its starting cornerbacks in the offseason, having their top pick at that position miss significant offseason time is hardly the ideal situation.

CO2,

This is great!! I could talk about this loser all day. This story is laden with material.

At first I was willing to give Jones the benefit of the doubt - but now I couldn't give a crap what happens to him.

This nonsense (and I hear it ALL the time now) about RESPECT has become a joke. When will people learn that respect is earned. Period!! And this loser has done Nothing to earn any respect from his teammates.

Somehow some people in America assumed that you automatically GET respect - and they expect to be respected by others. I don't get it. I was taught to 'treat people with respect' - but that is different than demanding it from people.

Then this horses rectum starts running at the mouth about where Bulluck got drafted?? Keith Bulluck could make PacMan his Bitch in the locker room or anywhere else on the planet. If I was Bulluck, I'd make Jones eat my sweaty jockstrap on ESPN and then bitch slap him back to his Mothers house.

I love the line about Jones complaining that Bulluck call's him at 7AM. That's hysterical!! Jones is a lazy Mama's boy who can't get his fanny perpendicular until the dew is off the grass. If that isn't a turn off to the Titans I don't know what is.

I just wonder where Jones is living and what he's living on for money given that he hasn't signed and therefore has no signing bonus... and has legal issues up the butt. At this rate he's going to be at the salvation army food line waiting for next years draft.

How do you spell LOSER?

August 10th, 2005, 8:31 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

LionFan57 wrote:
CO2,

Then this horses rectum starts running at the mouth about where Bulluck got drafted?? Keith Bulluck could make PacMan his Bitch in the locker room or anywhere else on the planet. If I was Bulluck, I'd make Jones eat my sweaty jockstrap on ESPN and then bitch slap him back to his Mothers house.

I love the line about Jones complaining that Bulluck call's him at 7AM. That's hysterical!! Jones is a lazy Mama's boy who can't get his fanny perpendicular until the dew is off the grass. If that isn't a turn off to the Titans I don't know what is.

I just wonder where Jones is living and what he's living on for money given that he hasn't signed and therefore has no signing bonus... and has legal issues up the butt. At this rate he's going to be at the salvation army food line waiting for next years draft.

How do you spell LOSER?

couldnt have said it any better LF57... what a mistake they made drafting AJ over Rolle and Rogers... :shock:

August 10th, 2005, 10:07 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Ferris wrote:
... what a mistake they made drafting AJ over Rolle and Rogers...

In our Lionbacker mock draft I was the Tennessee GM. Guess what I did? I picked Rolle over Pac man. Why? Because I tried to put myself in a true to life role and decided that Pac man would be trouble.

I might just break my arm patting myself on the back. :D

But the truth is, if some mock draft shlub like me could see that Jones was nothing but a problem from the start, why couldn't the Titans GM see that? :shock:

August 10th, 2005, 10:26 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I'm taking bets on when the next time this loser gets arrested. The over/under being 3 months :wink:

Tim

August 10th, 2005, 10:54 am
Hall of Fame Player

m2karateman wrote:
Ferris wrote:
... what a mistake they made drafting AJ over Rolle and Rogers...

... if some mock draft shlub like me could see that Jones was nothing but a problem from the start, why couldn't the Titans GM see that?

Obviously he was able to cover it up during his interviews and/or the Titans just didn't do their homework. Either way, you make a great point. This stuff is sometimes foreseeable just by watching and listening to them and asking around about them.

I think this goes to some of our chat in another thread about rookie's and their contracts. The cost to the teams taking a chance on some of these guys is enormous. I think there should be some mandatory contract language regarding things like; off field issues, performance expectations tied to bonuses and financial penalties if the deal can't get done by training camp commencement. In the end it would just make the NFL more credible and a stronger league in the long run.

In this case he hasn't signed a contract yet and he's got nothing to do but get into trouble while he's not in camp.

Tim, you make a great point also about how long until he gets busted again. It's a certainty that he will; it's just a question of when. He's a punk! He hangs with punks! His kids will grow up to be punks! And I don't think he's smart enough to change.

The article Co2 posted said it all...

conversion02 wrote:
...It might be worth noting that Jones is the only unsigned first-rounder who had not one but two run-ins with the law in the offseason, and he's still facing charges stemming from an altercation at a Nashville nightclub. ... ... For a defense that lost both its starting cornerbacks in the offseason, having their top pick at that position miss significant offseason time is hardly the ideal situation. ...

Two run ins with the law - facing criminal charges! WTF? PLUS, fighting verbally with a teammate and the fact he's not becoming a better player sleeping in every day. I wouldn't blame the Titans from trying to maintain damage control and insisting that there's language in the contract to protect themselves. The Titans, I'm sure, are willing to pay for value... Jones needs to show them some.

I wish we had Jones' e-mail address so we could send this thread to him, his agent and the Titans GM.

August 10th, 2005, 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]