View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Grossman gone for year 
Fair Weather Fan

Post Grossman gone for year
It looks like Grossman is gone for the year with a broken ankle.
How bad will this hurt them?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2132968

August 12th, 2005, 10:27 pm
RIP Killer

Without Grossman, Chicago had the worst passing attack in the league last year averaging only 137 ypc with 9 passing TDs and 16 INTs . They have Cowboys castoff Chad Hutchinson as the backup and rookie Kyle Orton as their current options. How bad is it - look for them to bring in a veteran like Testaverde - ouch.

Being a Lions fan, I can actually sympathize with Bears fans. Its the preseason and their season could be over. Looks like the NFC North cellar and a top-10 pick for da Bears again.

August 12th, 2005, 11:45 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Without Grossman, Chicago had the worst passing attack in the league last year averaging only 137 ypc with 9 passing TDs and 16 INTs . They have Cowboys castoff Chad Hutchinson as the backup and rookie Kyle Orton as their current options. How bad is it - look for them to bring in a veteran like Testaverde - ouch.

With the way Orton is lighting it up in practice and the PS, look for Orton to get a huge amount of playing time this year...unless they bring in Testy. If they bring it Testy, consider it over. I Wouldn't put the hammer down on their season just yet. They can still be a decent 6-10 or 7-9 team, because of their D.

August 13th, 2005, 12:15 am
QB Coach

They should play Orton, he's better than Grossman and any other QB they can pick up.

Anyways, their season is over. No more than 6 wins.

August 13th, 2005, 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Who was the Bears last good QB? I always remembered them having scrub veterans starting all the time. Who did they have when they went to the playoffs? Honestly I can't remember, was it Chris Chandler?

Michael Huff for DROY

August 13th, 2005, 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Jim Miller :shock: actually played well for them after the Lions dumped him. But that didn't last too long.

August 13th, 2005, 9:09 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

They should play Orton, he's better than Grossman and any other QB they can pick up.

Anyways, their season is over. No more than 6 wins.

Remember, people thought the same thing last year about Pittsburgh when Maddox went down and Big Ben had to step in. Orton could be better than most people think if he gets a chance.

August 13th, 2005, 11:03 am
Pro Bowl Player

Rothlesberger was a freak thing, let's see him do it again?

Orton could be very decent but he would still be a rookie and more than likely play like one. OUCH for the bears... they were seen as the worst team in the NFCN already, this doesnt help there chances to prove everyone wrong

August 13th, 2005, 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I think Orton will be very adequate for Chicago. At least, with Orton at the helm, the Bears might avoid being the worst passing team in the league. However, if the Bears stubbornly stick with Chad Hutchinson, then they will be dreadful. He is awful.

The biggest idiot in the organization is Peter Angelos for failing to bring in an adequate back up, especially if he proves himself to be unwilling to go with Orton early on. Orton has been running a pro style offense at Purdue for the last two seasons...which is much more than Hutchinson can say.

I also feel a little bit bad for the Bears....until I think about how they were bitching about the bad call in week 16 that robbed them of a victory...I don't remember the game being over yet anyway.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

August 14th, 2005, 10:49 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

QB-needy Bears sign Blake

NFL.com wire reports

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. (Aug. 14, 2005) -- The Chicago Bears agreed to a one-year deal with veteran quarterback Jeff Blake Aug. 14, two days after Rex Grossman broke his left ankle.

Grossman, expected to be the starter, was scheduled for surgery Aug. 15 and will miss three to four months. The injury occurred during the second quarter of the team's preseason game at St. Louis, when he was flushed from the pocket and twisted to the turf by the Rams' Trev Faulk.

Grossman tried to walk off the field, before crumbling and grabbing his leg in pain.

Chad Hutchinson is now the starter and rookie Kyle Orton the backup. Coach Lovie Smith said that won't change with the addition of Blake, a former Pro Bowl selection.

"I've been saying all along: I feel real good about the guys we have here," Smith said.

Blake has appeared in 117 games and passed for 21,656 yards for six teams in 13 seasons. His longest stay was with Cincinnati from 1994-99.

Grossman's injury casts a cloud over the Bears and, for that matter, himself.

This is the second consecutive year Grossman's season has been wrecked by an injury. Last year -- his second in the NFL and first as a starter -- he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in the third week while rushing for a touchdown against Minnesota.

Without him, the Bears finished 5-11 with the worst offense in the NFL. Jonathan Quinn and Craig Krenzel failed as replacements before the Bears signed Hutchinson.

In the offseason, the team brought in veterans Kurt Warner, Jay Fiedler and Brad Johnson for visits but made it clear that Grossman was the No. 1 quarterback. The Bears also brought back Ron Turner for a second stint as offensive coordinator and acquired All-Pro wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad.

The Bears practiced Aug. 14 for the first time since losing Grossman. Hutchinson, who had seen time with the first unit, has a more prominent role. Unlike last season, he has time to learn the offense.

"It's a whole different scenario," said Hutchinson, who was 1-4 as the starter last season.

The 27-year-old Hutchinson, speaking before the news about Blake broke, said he wasn't worried about the Bears adding a veteran quarterback.

"Right now, I'm thinking about winning ballgames," he said. "It's out of my control. My focus is on what I do."

With the addition of Blake, the Bears have some insurance if Hutchinson falters.

But Smith said, "We need three quarterbacks. Chad isn't looking over his shoulder. He's our guy."

Looks like the Bears got desperate. Blake is serviceable at best. The funniest part of the article is the last paragraph when they say that Chad is the starter and he is not looking over his shoulder :shock: :roll: .

If Orton does not get a chance I would be highly shocked.

Tim

August 15th, 2005, 3:27 pm
QB Coach

LOL, Jeff Blake... look at how bad he was with the Cardinals... LMAO!

August 16th, 2005, 1:43 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

In a way this helps Chicago in the long run. Grossman is obviously not batched to last. So now they can safely cut him rather than getting fooled by a mirage season. Orton is by far their best quarterback. He'll take his knocks this year but be further along next year when the Bears will start to be getting dangerous.

August 18th, 2005, 9:52 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I laughed out loud when I read that. The games against ChiTown are going to be fun, especially with Benson coming from the holdout.

August 18th, 2005, 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]