View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2014, 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 New-look Cards beats Cowboys 13-11 
QB Coach

Post New-look Cards beats Cowboys 13-11
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20050813_DAL@ARI

Quote:
TEMPE, Ariz. (Aug. 13, 2005) -- Kurt Warner showed coach Dennis Green what he wanted to see out of Arizona's rebuilt offense. The Cardinals' defense showed up as well -- as long as the regulars were in.

It added up to a 13-11 victory over the Dallas Cowboys.

Arizona played without four first-team offensive players -- wide receiver Anquan Boldin (broken nose), tight end Eric Edwards (pectoral) and linemen Oliver Ross (knee) and Alex Stepanovich (hand).

But Warner fired up a unit that was 27th last year behind quarterbacks Josh McCown, Shaun King and John Navarre. He completed 14 of 19 passes for 151 yards and a 31-yard touchdown strike to Larry Fitzgerald, leading the Cardinals to a 10-0 lead before leaving the game after a punt with 6:17 left in the second quarter.

"It felt like a uniform to me," Warner said about his debut in red after playing for the blue-jerseyed St. Louis Rams and New York Giants. "I'm just excited about what we've got. I think we have a great defense."

"I wish we'd scored more, but he played a quarter and a half," Green said. "It was about what we expected."

Warner, a two-time NFL MVP and the MVP of the 2000 Super Bowl, wasn't Arizona's only important addition through free agency.

The offense had good field position on his watch because of a defense bolstered by three newcomers -- defensive end Chike Okeafor, linebacker Orlando Huff and safety Robert Griffith.

Okeafor and Bertrand Berry each sacked Drew Bledsoe in the second quarter, preventing the Cowboys regulars from scoring a touchdown.

Dallas, 0-3 against the Cardinals in exhibition games but 53-27-1 in the regular season, had to be content with Billy Cundiff's field goals of 47 and 34 yards and a 33-yarder by Jose Cortez, partly because of penalties. The Cowboys committed 12 for 91 yards -- the most costly a false start that negated a 48-yard, potential winning field goal by Cundiff.

The ball was moved back 5 yards, and Cundiff missed wide left with 1:03 remaining.

Arizona defensive end Calvin Pace also had two sacks in the fourth quarter -- the second moving Dallas beyond chip-shot range.

"It kind of seemed like we'd get something going and then we'd have a negative play," Bledsoe said. "But we tip our caps to them. There were a number of times when we'd have a play called, and they'd have a good defense called for it."

Drew Henson rallied the Cowboys to eight points in the fourth quarter.

Tyson Thompson, who had 64 yards in 10 carries, started Dallas' last scoring drive with an 18-yard run. Nine plays later, Cundiff made it 13-9 with 4:10 to go.

Then the Cardinals stalled behind Navarre, and Scott Player came in to punt from his own 24. But Tom Crowder broke through and blocked the punt, and Player kicked the ball out the back of the end zone with 3:02 remaining.

That led to Dallas' wild final drive that ended in frustration.

"Pretty sloppy first outing," Cowboys coach Bill Parcells said. "We're not going to be able to overcome a lot of the things we did. You know, we had five holding penalties and an illegal motion on that last field goal."

Navarre directed a short drive in the fourth quarter, and Matt Fordyce sent Arizona to a 13-6 lead with a 33-yard field goal with 8:07 remaining.

J.R. Redmond, a free-agency pickup from Oakland and a local favorite because he played at Arizona State, set up the late scoring drive with a 48-yard kickoff return after Cortez made his only field-goal attempt with 11:24 left in the game.

Redmond, one of three candidates to replace 2004 returner Karl Williams, also set up Arizona's first score when he broke two tackles on his way to a 22-yard punt return to near midfield with 8:36 left in the first quarter.

Three plays later, the Cardinals made the game's first first down - a 20-yard pass from Warner to Bryant Johnson -- and Neil Rackers kicked a 41-yard field goal with 5:52 left after the offense sputtered again against Dallas' new 3-4 defense.

Green left the first unit to start the second quarter, and Warner began to find his rhythm.

In a seven-play drive, he completed passes of 20 yards to Fitzgerald, 18 yards to rookie Adam Bergen, 12 yards to Johnson and the TD to Fitzgerald, a gem that the second-year receiver sprawled full-length to catch off the grass, got up and lunged into the end zone.

"Actually, it was kind of a broken play," Warner said. "I kind of let the ball go a little early, and Fitzgerald made a great play just to make the catch, but then to have the awareness to get up and get into the end zone."

August 14th, 2005, 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I watched a bit of this game, I must say I was impressed with Warner - yes he looks much better than Garcia did (and Bledsoe, but not as good as Joey).

Speaking of the Cards - DID YOU KNOW:

The Cards have the longest championship drought (rejoice Lions fans) in the NFL - 57 years. The Cardinals won their last title in 1947 (10 years before Detroit's last) representing Chicago, beating the Philadelphia Eagles 28-21. They have have won only 3 division titles and made the playoffs just 5 times since their last championship. They also have only one playoff win in that time, a 20-7 upset over the Cowboys in 1998.

Denny Green is the 21st head coach since 1947 and Kurt Warner is the 47th starting QB. The last time the Cards lead the league in offense was 1966, and the last time they lead the league in defense was 1948.

August 14th, 2005, 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I thought Warner was better than Garcia. Millen did too, but Warner did not give us a shot. At half the price and experience in the WCO Garcia looks like a bargain though. Warner getting through the whole season is still an open question.

August 14th, 2005, 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]