View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently February 21st, 2018, 11:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Sad day to be a Jets fan... 
RIP Killer

Post Sad day to be a Jets fan...
NFL.com

Jets QB situation
Starting quarterback Chad Pennington has suffered a rotator cuff injury for the second straight year, and he'll miss the remainder of the season. Veteran backup Jay Fiedler also was injured in Sunday's loss to the Jaguars. Fiedler is out for at least two months and possibly the season, so this week's starter at Baltimore will be untested Brooks Bollinger.

Fantasy Analysis: We'll downgrade their receivers as Pennington looked bad well before Sunday's injury. As of now, we see Laveranues Coles as a #3 WR and Justin McCareins as worth only as a depth receiver.

September 27th, 2005, 3:31 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Quarterback Vinny Testaverde talks to the media during a news conference concerning his return to the New York Jets Tuesday.

NFL: Roundup

Testaverde answers call from hurt Jets

Pennington's season is over, as is Fiedler's, so the quarterback spot is a risky business for team.

Detroit News wire services

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Vinny Testaverde was plopped on his couch, watching his beloved New York Jets, and, like millions of other fans, he could hardly believe his eyes.

In a span of seven plays Sunday, not one but two quarterbacks, starter Chad Pennington and backup Jay Fiedler, were lost for the season, both because of shoulder injuries. There was only one thing to do.

"I called (coach) Herm (Edwards) and said, 'I am here in whatever capacity you need me,' " Testaverde said. "To be a teacher or to play, to be a starter or a backup. I want to get this team back on track."

Suddenly, Testaverde, 41, is back in the NFL.

"I'm excited, happy, nervous, anxious, all those feelings about playing for the Jets again," he said.

With Pennington and Fiedler gone, Testaverde likely was signed to back up Brooks Bollinger. Considering Bollinger's inexperience and the way Pennington and Fiedler were battered Sunday in a 26-20 overtime loss to Jacksonville, seeing Testaverde behind center soon isn't farfetched.

Pennington came out of the game late in the third quarter because of a tender right shoulder, but he went back in when Fiedler suffered a dislocated right shoulder after six plays. Pennington, who had surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in February, had little on his throws, and an MRI on Monday revealed another tear in the rotator cuff.

"It's tough. I anticipate he will be out for the season," Edwards said of Pennington. "I've never been in the situation where you lose the No. 1 and 2 quarterbacks in a span of seven plays."

That means it's Bollinger and Testaverde against Baltimore's rugged defense Sunday. Bollinger has thrown nine passes in his career, all against Arizona in a victory last season when Pennington sat out.

Testaverde, the overall No. 1 pick in the 1987 draft, was with the Cowboys in 2004 but wasn't in an NFL training camp this summer.

Still, the Jets thought of him after learning the severity of their quarterbacks' injuries -- just as Testaverde was thinking of his old boss Edwards, who promoted Pennington over him in the fifth game of the 2002 season.

You're right CO2; It is a sad time for a Jets fan.

Two QB's in one game. Yikes!!

XXeyeslam.gif

On the other hand Testaverde gets a shot at being a hero for the team.

September 28th, 2005, 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

ImageJets | Pennington Receives Better News
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:15:53 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the New York Jets received optimistic news regarding QB Chad Pennington (shoulder) Tuesday, Sept. 27. According to several Jets' sources Dr. James Andrews, after examining Pennington, did not believe the quarterback blew out his shoulder again although an MRI was inconclusive. The Jets quarterback had a dye injected into the shoulder and if there was a tear there would have been leakage, none of which was prevalent. The plan for now is to let Pennington rest for 10 days to two weeks and then have him re-examined. After the two week period the doctors will see if he progresses enough to simply rehab or possibly do a scope to assist in his recovery. In the meantime, the Jets doctors and team officials will reconvene tomorrow with the new information and make a determination but as of now the Jets do not plan to put him on the Injured Reserve list.

Hold On Sports Fans!! =;

There may be hope after all.

September 28th, 2005, 8:49 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

He needs to get back because I had Coles as my #2 WR!!! But then again, I also have Martin starting...so having a lack of passing game could lead to bigger numbers for the 2004 rushing leader.

September 28th, 2005, 10:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]