View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently February 24th, 2018, 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 All Time - Top 10 "Two-Minute" Quarterbacks 
Hall of Fame Player

Post All Time - Top 10 "Two-Minute" Quarterbacks
SI.com wrote:
Top 10 "Two-Minute" Quarterbacks

1. Johnny Unitas, Baltimore
The man practically invented the two-minute drill. Johnny U. was racking up winning two-minute drives before they were even called two-minute drives. His masterpiece? The game-tying 83-yard field goal drive at the end of regulation in the fabled 1958 NFL title game, which the Colts won in overtime.

2. Joe Montana, San Francisco
There have been quarterbacks who have pulled off more two-minute winners, but nobody executed bigger ones, with more on the line, than Joe Money. One of our last and lasting memories of Montana was watching him lead Kansas City to a last-second Monday Night win at Denver in 1994.

3. Roger Staubach, Dallas
"Captain Comeback" was uncanny in his ability to pull out seemingly lost causes. Of his 23 fourth-quarter come-from-behind wins, 17 came in the final two minutes. Staubach's greatest work came in a 1972 divisional playoff at San Francisco, when he led the Cowboys to two touchdowns in the final two minutes and a 30-28 win.

4. John Elway, Denver
More than anything else he accomplished in his Hall of Fame, 16-year career, Elway was known for his ability to execute late in the game with the outcome hanging in the balance. His signature moment came in the 1986 AFC title game at Cleveland, where he led the Broncos on a game-tying, 15-play, 98-yard drive at the end of regulation.

5. Tom Brady, New England
His work may not all fall under the heading of the two-minute drill, but Brady is simply the league's current gold standard for late-game heroics: 18 drives to either break a tie or take the lead in the fourth quarter or OT -- the latest at Pittsburgh on Sunday -? capped by his two Super Bowl-winning two-minute drills.

6. Brett Favre, Green Bay
We got an indication in 1992 of Favre's heroics to come. Replacing an injured Don Majikowski in the first quarter of a Week 3 game, Favre led the Packers to a 24-23 win over Cincinnati, driving Green Bay 92 yards to a touchdown in five plays after getting the ball with just 1:07 remaining.

7. Dan Marino, Miami
Marino's 37 fourth-quarter comeback wins rank second in league history behind Elway's 43, but Dan the Man was known for his own brand of late-game magic. Marino lacked that one memorable two-minute drill in a big-game setting, but his overall body of work is too impressive to ignore.

8. Joe Namath, N.Y. Jets
What makes a great late-game QB? The ability to raise one's performance as the pressure mounts. Namath could sometimes struggle for three-plus quarters, then elevate his game when the moment demanded it. The Jets' 27-23 defeat of Oakland in the 1968 AFL title game represented some of his finest fourth-quarter work.

9. Ken Stabler, Oakland
In his day, the Snake knew how to slither out of tight spots at virtually the last second as well as anybody this side of Roger Staubach. What nobody remembers about the "Immaculate Reception" game is that Stabler's 30-yard touchdown run with 1:13 gave the Raiders a 7-6 lead and set the stage for Franco Harris.

10. Otto Graham, Cleveland
The Browns dominated the old AAFC so thoroughly that Graham never had to flash much two-minute skill. But in the 1950 NFL title game against the L.A. Rams, he was up to the task. His drive in the last two minutes led to the game-winning field goal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.1.html

Check these out... Some awesome pictures of SI.com's Top 10 Two Minute QB's. (I love that Elway pic).

I'm not certain if this list is based on stats, excitement or what criteria was involved. But my personal favorite would have to be Montana.

Who is your Favorite "Come Back King" of the NFL?

October 2nd, 2005, 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Team President - Rod Wood

marino seems to be on there as a courtesy but i would love to have him on my team in the last 2 minutes so i guess i cant complain much. i would probably put elway higher because of the 2 minute drives in the playoffs that he had vs cleveland. brady is accomplished on the 2 minute drives but prevent defenses have made it pretty easy on him. his 2 minute super bowl drives are basically 30-40 yard drives on dump passes to RBs and TEs who run out of bounds to set up FGs. He is great but I wish teams would learn not to go to a prevent especially vs the pats. there players are just so smart and efficient, they execute all the strategical parts of the game to perfection.

October 2nd, 2005, 10:20 am
Varsity Benchwarmer

Montana. He turned into pure magic at the end of games.

October 13th, 2005, 5:52 pm
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

Why isn't Harrington on this list? Didn't he lead Oregon to 6 come from behind victories his senior year? :lol:

October 14th, 2005, 3:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]