View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 19th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 AB in STL (will we regret in passing on him) 
RIP Killer

Post AB in STL (will we regret in passing on him)
Been looking thru the DJ thread and just wanted to point out another option. BTW - Ware/Spears in Dallas look like players as well look like players on the defensive side of the ball (although Cody impressed me this week against CAR).

The argument between DJ and BMW is interesting, I'd like to point out that neither position was a major need at the time of the draft (based upon what we knew). Some of you may remember my piece, "The Logical Draft Choice - Alex Barron", which pointed this out.

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=articles& ... 328-barron

I focused on him last night in the MNF game and he looked liked a solid pro OT to me - has a good combo of speed and power. BTW - the Rams are starting 2 rookies on the OL so their is hope for the Lions 2006 (although they have Pace anchoring the line)

Given what I have seen thus far with the Lions O-Line, I would take Barron over DJ or BMW. That is just me though... I'd much rather have Barron in over Backus at LT. Then the focus in 2006 could be on left guard.

October 18th, 2005, 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: AB in STL (will we regret in passing on him)
Pablo wrote:
Been looking thru the DJ thread and just wanted to point out another option. BTW - Ware/Spears in Dallas look like players as well look like players on the defensive side of the ball (although Cody impressed me this week against CAR).

The argument between DJ and BMW is interesting, I'd like to point out that neither position was a major need at the time of the draft (based upon what we knew). Some of you may remember my piece, "The Logical Draft Choice - Alex Barron", which pointed this out.

http://www.lionbacker.com/?id=articles& ... 328-barron

I focused on him last night in the MNF game and he looked liked a solid pro OT to me - has a good combo of speed and power. BTW - the Rams are starting 2 rookies on the OL so their is hope for the Lions 2006 (although they have Pace anchoring the line)

Given what I have seen thus far with the Lions O-Line, I would take Barron over DJ or BMW. That is just me though... I'd much rather have Barron in over Backus at LT. Then the focus in 2006 could be on left guard.

I don't disagree with your thought process at all. But what I'm wondering is; How much of his looking as good as he is - is attributable to the position coaching and overall coaching scheme?

I'm not saying you're wrong on this but I think we all look at players and say "They'd be great with us" but in the end maybe they're the beneficiaries of outstanding coaching. Coming into this season I expected some growing pains with 2 new starters to the line - but I could never have imagined the chaos that we have now.

October 18th, 2005, 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Another spin on this is that Jammal Brown is also playing well on the Saints, and they traded up to #13 to select him. He looks to be an upgrade over Backus as well.

Tim

October 18th, 2005, 2:56 pm
RIP Killer

Another spin on this is that Jammal Brown is also playing well on the Saints, and they traded up to #13 to select him. He looks to be an upgrade over Backus as well.

Absolutely. The point is that OL was IMO the biggest need on the team for the draft and we drafted how many lineman? Brown or Barron would have been an improvement over what we have.

LF57 - some valid points, but from a talent standpoint both of these draft picks would be serious upgrades on the left hand side of the line.

My other point was, the draft wasn't just about BMW vs DJ. There were other viable, and more needed, options out there.

October 18th, 2005, 3:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I am not sure if you guys are aware of this...it seems it is Mariuccis fault that the line is playing badly.

October 18th, 2005, 3:22 pm
Profile WWW

I am not sure if you guys are aware of this...it seems it is Mariuccis fault that the line is playing badly.

It is? Is this a new theory??? :lol:

Come on Alpha, everything is Mooch's fault. Didn't you read the memo :wink:

Tim

October 18th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Pablo, I remember your article. Although it did not change my preference for whom the Lions should pick, I enjoyed it thoroughly. I seem to recall more debate about the ability of Olinemen to adapt more quickly to the pace of the NFL than skill position players. To me, it makes sense that a talented Oline-man with the physical tools to compete, would be able to contribute after a handful of games.

Here is my counter to the AB watch (since everyone screams at me about KC not having any other competent players on D, despite their recent pricey additions, as leaves DJ all alone to make all the plays):

Marc Bulger has spent a good amount of time on his back, too, despite STL not exactly playing the same calibur of defenses as the Lions....

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

October 18th, 2005, 3:29 pm
RIP Killer

Marc Bulger has spent a good amount of time on his back, too, despite STL not exactly playing the same calibur of defenses as the Lions....

That's a good point, the Rams have allowed 21 sacks this season (among the lead leaders - Houston has allowed 30). It is impossible to determine how many of those are attributable to Barron. The Rams are also only one of three teams to average over 40 pass attempts per game (Philly and Zona are the other two) and are second to the Pats in passing yardage.

I don't argue that DJ could have had a major impact as a rookie. I wrote the article based on the fact that I didn't like the look of the OL, never was a fan of Backus (and he is a FA after this year), we lost McD, and Butler was an unproven 6th round pick.

FYI - I also predicted that the Lions would take DJ in my final mock draft.

October 18th, 2005, 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

That might have more to do with scheme than quality of pass protection. The Rams throw downfield a lot, so the quarterback has to sit in the pocket longer than in most offenses which increases the likelihood of getting sacked on any given play.

October 19th, 2005, 12:02 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

If we had another 1st rounder this year, like the Broncos did with the Redskins, then we would be in position for a franchise player.

And that isn't what Barron, Mike Williams, or maybe even DJ (he's the closest though) are.

October 20th, 2005, 12:10 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:

It is? Is this a new theory??? :lol:

Come on Alpha, everything is Mooch's fault. Didn't you read the memo :wink:

there was a memo

Image Image

October 20th, 2005, 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

blueblood1 wrote:

That's a good point, the Rams have allowed 21 sacks this season (among the lead leaders - Houston has allowed 30). It is impossible to determine how many of those are attributable to Barron.

...Unless you look it up on a site that claims to track such stats....

SACKS ALLOWED/Games Started by STL linemen:
Barron: 2.0/3
Pace: 4.5/6
McCollum: 2.5/6
Nutten: 1/5
Saipaia: 2.5/3
Timmerman: 4/6
Tucker: 3/1
Turley: DNP

Assuming any incompleteness of statistics is uniform across all players, and discounting according to respective playing times, it appears Barron has done respectably so far.

October 20th, 2005, 2:19 pm
RIP Killer

Personally, I would have preferred Jamaal Brown ahead of Barron. Brown has better feet and is a better run blocker. Also, Brown has a mean streak that Barron lacks, from what I have heard.

Just remember, don't blame Mike Williams or Matt Millen because Steve Mariucci doesn't/won't use his talent in the correct manner.

October 20th, 2005, 3:11 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I am not making any conclusive assertion of blame against anybody by way of this thread. I am implicitly raising the suggestion that whomever [Millen] decided BMW was the pick, despite DJ being the sure thing and available, was guilty of premature climax over his good fortune when the more exciting toy was available. He failed to think about it made sense to add another flashy accessory to a car that barely runs...

October 20th, 2005, 3:34 pm

He failed to think about it made sense to add another flashy accessory to a car that barely runs...

That is actually a pretty fun analogy. Millen got a overworked, outdated care and traded it in for a more updated but not very reliable model. He put rims, tint, and new tires on it to make it look good on the outside. But he failed to give the motor a tuneup and the transmission needs to be replaced (only 1 gear works).

Tim

October 21st, 2005, 10:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]