View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently May 27th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The LA Saints???? or LA Jags??? 
Megatron

Post The LA Saints???? or LA Jags???
ProFootballTalk.com wrote:
POSTED 9:27 a.m. EDT, October 27, 2005

NFL COULD MOVE SAINTS TO L.A.

According to The Washington Post, the National Football League will consider moving the Saints from La. to L.A. if New Orleans cannot recover from the damage wrought by Hurricane Katrina.

Citing "three sources familiar with the league's deliberations on the matter," The Post says that the Saints would spend a year in San Antonio before sliding farther West for a permanent locale in the nation's No. 2 market, which the Rams and Raiders both abandoned after the 1995 season.

The revelation comes a day after Saints owner Tom Benson purchased a full-page ad in The New Orleans Times-Picayune containing a too-little, too-late effort to put the locals' minds at ease as to the future of the franchise.

Is it a coincidence that Benson's open letter (which undoubtedly was written and/or revised heavily by the league office) was released as the Saints struggle to sell tickets to the cavernous Tiger Stadium on the campus of Louisiana State University? We think not.

And we're not saying that Benson should be forced to stay in New Orleans if there is no economic viability in doing so. But like some of our higher-profile national politicians, who make decisions at a visceral level and then spend their time looking for ways to embrace facts that support them and ignore evidence that doesn't, Benson (as the widespread rumors and reports go) jumped on the notion of using Katrina as a ticket out of town before any proof as to whether post-disaster New Orleans would be able to support a pro football team could be gathered.

As a result, Benson has latched onto spurious arguments regarding matters such as the allegedly poor condition of the team's training facilities. According to The San Antonio Express-News, Louisiana officials have declared the building to be "in very good condition."

(Look for Benson to now try to leak to the media that the wife of the guy who said that is a covert operative in the CIA.)

The NFL, obviously far more skilled than Benson in matters of public relations, realizes that it's important to say all of the right things until a prudent decision can be made, even if it seems inevitable that the decision will be that the team cannot remain in New Orleans. This way, the league has a full opportunity to plan the best way to break the news to the football world, and the league can come up with ideas for placating the locals -- such as by guaranteeing that the Super Bowl will be played in New Orleans once every five years.

For now, the league apparently has persuaded Benson (again) to pretend that he hasn't already made a decision on the matter, while the league takes its time to reach what very well could be the exact same conclusion.

IF NOT THE SAINTS, THEN THE JAGS?

At a time when the NFL is eyeing the Saints for the vacuously vacant L.A. market, it appears that there's another candidate to load up the truck and move to Beverleeee.

According to The Florida Times-Union, the Jaguars could be leaving Jacksonville.

On Tuesday, the city notified the team that it would not be permitted to operate its electronic signage at Saturday's Georgia-Florida game. In response, Jags vice president Bill Prescott says that the move could force, well, a move.

"Based on their actions today, yes [the Jaguars will be forced to move],'' Prescott said. "Based on the actions I've seen over the last week, yes. Obviously, if they're taking revenues away, it'll happen sooner rather than later. . . .

"If you're cutting off our revenue source, any reasonable person would sit here and say, 'What are they trying to tell you?'" Prescott said. "They're trying to tell you to move.''

So after 10 years of no team in Los Angeles, we could now have a situation in which the Saints and the Jags are jostling for the spot.

And we suspect that some Saints fans will greet the news by clamoring for the Jags to move to New Orleans and become the new Saints.

Stay tuned.

I've heard some rumors about the Saints maybe moving to LA and even the talk of the VIkings moving, but this is the first I've heard of the Jags moving. Has anyone else heard of this?

October 27th, 2005, 11:45 am
RIP Killer

I haven't heard that specifically, but the Jags aren't doing well financially so it wouldn't surprise me. The fan base their doens't compare and their is a lack of strong corporate companies in Jacksonville (this was always a problem in New Orleans as well).

October 27th, 2005, 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Too bad LA doesn't want a pro football team. I can't remember what show but the writers were like, "We have the Trojans, and we get the good games on sunday. WE don't want to watch the Saints every week."

October 29th, 2005, 6:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]