View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 16th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Cullpepper Hurt 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Cullpepper Hurt
Left the game aftering taking a helmet on the knee... Brad Johnson is in.

Not good for the Vikes.

October 30th, 2005, 3:19 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

No updates yet, but here's a gloomy outlook:

Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Oct. 30, 2005) -- Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper could miss the rest of the season after injuring his right knee against Carolina, coach Mike Tice said.

"The quarterback doesn't appear to be in good shape," Tice said. "I'm not a doctor, but the initial tests are not good. It doesn't appear that it's going to be anything that we as Vikings will want to hear.

"Things happen that are devastating. This certainly, if it's as serious as it appears, is devastating to our football team."

Culpepper ran for an 18-yard gain on the final play of the first quarter when he was hit by multiple defenders. Carolina cornerback Chris Gamble came in from the side and tackled Culpepper's leg and he immediately grabbed his knee.

Culpepper was helped off the field and taken to a cart for the ride into the locker room. The team initially said he sprained his knee.

He was on crutches with a heavy brace around his knee after the game and said he wouldn't know anything until after undergoing an MRI on Oct. 31.

"I'm not talking about anything," Culpepper said. "We don't know the extent of the damage right now. I really can't talk about it until we do the MRIs and find out."

Vikings trainer Chuck Barta said the team hadn't ruled out a possible torn anterior cruciate ligament in Culpepper's knee.

Brad Johnson replaced Culpepper and went 13-for-28 for 162 yards and a touchdown in Minnesota's 38-13 loss to the Panthers.

"We have to rally around Brad," Tice said. "Brad doesn't have the same arm Daunte has, (but) Brad has played a lot more games than Daunte has. We can make up for the different styles by going to more short passing to give ourselves a chance to suit his style.

"Brad is a very good quarterback; he's won a Super Bowl. We have faith in Brad."

October 30th, 2005, 7:57 pm
RIP Killer

The Lions can't lose to a team with a backup QB now can they??? Uh-oh...

October 31st, 2005, 1:02 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

The Lions can't lose to a team with a backup QB now can they??? Uh-oh...

Not sure, but I think that's what they did today.....and in week 2......damn

The only difference is that it'll be an upgrade to the backups they are used to losing to. At-least Johnson has a Super Bowl ring...and he actually played to get it!

October 31st, 2005, 1:15 am
RIP Killer

NFL.com is saying he might be done for the season now.

October 31st, 2005, 11:17 am
5th Round Pick - Traded

Looks like he's done for the rest of this season and a good part of next season.

Quote:
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The demoralized Minnesota Vikings surely believed their already dire situation couldn't become any worse.

AP
Vikings coach Mike Tice (right) helps quarterback Daunte Culpepper off the field.
Then came confirmation Monday that quarterback Daunte Culpepper will miss the rest of the season with a devastating injury to his right knee.

Not exactly the news a 2-5 team needed to hear.

"This is just another hurdle we have to overcome," coach Mike Tice said.

Culpepper, a three-time Pro Bowl pick whose effectiveness this season had fallen off dramatically after a career year in 2004, tore his anterior cruciate, medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments in Sunday's 38-13 loss at Carolina.

October 31st, 2005, 10:14 pm
RIP Killer

Culpepper hasn't been the same this year without Moss. He's had a couple good games. One game was amazing, but most of the time he's looked like crap. 2nd most sacked QB in the league I believe.

I don't think this will help or hinder our chances of beating the Vikes. Obviously, Daunte can scramble a bit where Johnson can't, but both can throw a nice ball. Johnson doesn't have near the cannon of Culpepper either. Either way, this should be a crapshoot. The team that wins will be the team that sucks the least. I expect their D to show that they're still quite solid against our pathetic O. I also expect the same from our D and their O. Our D should be able to shut down their O IMO.

October 31st, 2005, 10:50 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

2nd most sacked QB in the league I believe.

And Minnesota's rushing offense is 27th in the NFL. The poor play of the offensive line (Matt Birk is out for the year...) is killing the team. Hmmm, where have I heard this before?

November 1st, 2005, 1:46 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Video highlights of game.. has clip of Cpep hit on the knee.

http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/n ... proto=rtsp

November 1st, 2005, 8:22 am
Hall of Fame Player

conversion02 wrote:
2nd most sacked QB in the league I believe.

And Minnesota's rushing offense is 27th in the NFL. The poor play of the offensive line (Matt Birk is out for the year...) is killing the team. Hmmm, where have I heard this before?

You're right.

Amazing how this works. If you can't run and you can't protect your QB you can't win.

November 1st, 2005, 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]