View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 16th, 2018, 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Where does TO wind up? 
Pop Warner Allstar

Post Where does TO wind up?
With the 4 game suspension without pay and benching him for the rest of the season---who takes a chance on him? At least 4 teams won't touch him now for sure, leaves 28 left.

I bet Denver does.

November 6th, 2005, 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Where does TO wind up?
Ozarkruffrider wrote:
With the 4 game suspension without pay and benching him for the rest of the season---who takes a chance on him? At least 4 teams won't touch him now for sure, leaves 28 left.

I bet Denver does.

Is the benching part a certainty or speculation? I didn't know the Eagles said they would 'Keyshawn' him after his suspension.

In any case, IMO, he's is gone at the end of the season. They won't cut him and may try to trade him if they can get anything.

Cutting him is what he wants so he can hook up with another team and get a new contract. Trading him means the new team has to take on the existing contract or negotiate for a new one and TO doesn't want the one he has.

If I'm the Eagles I let him sit these four games then leave him inactive with pay. If he opens his mouth - suspend him for 4 games again.

I don't know who will pick him up (someone will) but they won't win anything with him and will only regret it later. Losers / Malcontents like TO create more headache than they are ever worth.

November 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I wonder IF any team would take him.. you know what you get and who needs the bad side?

November 6th, 2005, 11:07 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Then they bring in Mike Martz.

Wouldn't that just be DISGUSTING? Imagine what Martz could do with Moss, Owens, Porter, and whatever the hell QB he wants there.

November 6th, 2005, 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Oakland.

Wouldn't that just be DISGUSTING? Imagine what Martz could do with Moss, Owens, Porter, and whatever the hell QB he wants there.

How do they create the cap space, and how do they placate the egos?

November 6th, 2005, 8:15 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Brian wrote:
Oakland.

How do they create the cap space, and how do they placate the egos?

1) I have no clue about the NFL and the salary cap. But Dan Snyder knows how to work around it, so i'm sure it's possible.

2) It's Oakland. They don't care about egos. They're the RAAAIIIDERS

November 6th, 2005, 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

San Fran And Green Bay have the first crack at em --- and Favre could really use him :shock: Favre to Owens?

naw :lol:

November 7th, 2005, 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Megatron

He's going to go to the Texans!!! Mark my words, you heard it here first :wink:

November 7th, 2005, 2:40 pm
Site Admin

It would be great if TO got dropped and went unsigned...that won't happen but that would be the best situation for the sake of the league and to shut these damn WRs up. If TO gets cut and hung out to dry then anyone could :twisted:

November 7th, 2005, 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
All State

spidey sense tells me it is going to be a surprise, tingling sensation getting stronger, i can't believe it - he is going to hook up with vick in atlanta.

like wags said, "you heard it here first" :wink:

November 8th, 2005, 1:18 am
Profile WWW
I don't think that Phili would let him go before the end of the season. Would you want to face a motivated TO potentially two more times this year??? Could even be three times if he goes to NY, and they play NY in the playoffs. That would be funny. I think that Phili will "Keyshaun" Ownes to keep from having to play him again. However, I don't know how they're going to get out of paying his salary as they are trying to do. I have to agree with Owens and I too think Phili is classless.

November 8th, 2005, 3:30 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I don't think that Phili would let him go before the end of the season. Would you want to face a motivated TO potentially two more times this year??? Could even be three times if he goes to NY, and they play NY in the playoffs. That would be funny. I think that Phili will "Keyshaun" Ownes to keep from having to play him again. However, I don't know how they're going to get out of paying his salary as they are trying to do. I have to agree with Owens and I too think Phili is classless.

Owens is as low class as they come. Period.

TO calling the Eagles classless is the pot calling the kettle black.

He's been on a crusade to be disruptive all season and he even said as much. He signed a deal and then he cried like a little girl to get out of it; now he's shot off his mouth and he's crying again.

The Eagles handled him in EXACTLY the right way during the off season and they are doing EXACTLY the right thing now. let him sit his four games for the suspension then let him sit at home with pay (the Keyshawn rule). If he opens his truly stupid, low class mouth again - hit him with another suspension. AND, (per MNF last night) the Eagles are going after $1.8 Mil of the signing bonus in court and I hope they get it back.

TO is undeserving of his own talent. No team will ever win anything with him - no team ever does with show boat distractions like him. I'd never let him on my team and I agree with Alpha - it would be sweet if the other 31 teams concluded what the Eagles and the 49ers already know - and didn't sign him either. Let him rot!! TO isn't worth it.

November 8th, 2005, 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
After Owen's press conference Yahoo removed the link and article to the one I quoted. In that article however, they say that they won't have to pay Owne's salary for the first four games of his suspension, but they will have to pay some one million dollars for his final 4-5 games (I don't know how many are left after that, but one million was the #). They also said on ESPN that Owens will have to re-pay 1.72 million from his SB due to a clause that spells such an action out if he is suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Phili also said that they will not release Owens this year because they can't afford to by way of their salary cap, and they don't want him to be allowed to play for another team.

I don't know what to think about TO, his attitude, and his level of "class." IMO I really do think he just wants what "is right." The guy is undeniably the best WR in the league by far, and he's not getting paid as such. He's not even top 5. Personally I think the 49ers took advantage of him, Baltimore tried to take advantage of him, and Phili just took a little less advantage of him, so he ended up there. Phili gave him a huge contract with escalated salaries in the later years of his contract, and they never intended on paying him or playing him in those years. If I am not mistaking his contract was for 8 years, and he is 31. C' mon!... You can fault Owens for signing it, but he wanted on a team, and he wanted to play for the Eagles. "You reap what you sow" to some degree, but Phili is not free of blame IMO.

November 8th, 2005, 4:53 pm
Hall of Fame Player

After Owen's press conference Yahoo removed the link and article to the one I quoted. In that article however, they say that they won't have to pay Owne's salary for the first four games of his suspension, but they will have to pay some one million dollars for his final 4-5 games (I don't know how many are left after that, but one million was the #). They also said on ESPN that Owens will have to re-pay 1.72 million from his SB due to a clause that spells such an action out if he is suspended for conduct detrimental to the team. Phili also said that they will not release Owens this year because they can't afford to by way of their salary cap, and they don't want him to be allowed to play for another team.

I don't know what to think about TO, his attitude, and his level of "class." IMO I really do think he just wants what "is right." The guy is undeniably the best WR in the league by far, and he's not getting paid as such. He's not even top 5. Personally I think the 49ers took advantage of him, Baltimore tried to take advantage of him, and Phili just took a little less advantage of him, so he ended up there. Phili gave him a huge contract with escalated salaries in the later years of his contract, and they never intended on paying him or playing him in those years. If I am not mistaking his contract was for 8 years, and he is 31. C' mon!... You can fault Owens for signing it, but he wanted on a team, and he wanted to play for the Eagles. "You reap what you sow" to some degree, but Phili is not free of blame IMO.

TO needs to grown up and accept the fact that the contract he accepted and signed was offered in the amount that it was offered for two main reasons (besides cap issues):

1) The Eagles where believed to be one player away from a Superbowl victory.

They offered less because they knew he wanted to go to the SB. He signed for the same reason. Sometimes 'payment' comes in forms other than money. Both parties knew what they wanted and got what they wanted.

2) The Eagles discounted the amount of the contract because of the potential liability that TO brings to the table in terms of being a problem and a disruption.

The risk that the Eagles took was offset by the price they paid to get him and that risk was further mitigated by contract language that would refund the organization if Owens would indeed be the distraction he has been. A financial penalty for misconduct if you will.

TO signed thinking he could either, a) change the deal later; and / or, b) Stay out of trouble. As it turns out he's not smart enough to do either.

Many NFL contracts have heavier, not likely to be received payouts in the later years and are there for a variety of reasons. (Not the least of which is the 'ego satisfaction' they bring when averaging out the contract. In fact they are known as the 'Ego Clause' among agents and front office staff). Many - if not most - contracts contain them and are usually redone or cancelled before they even take place. An 8 year deal is done so the signing bonus can fit in under the cap. This stuff is nothing new and TO and Rosenhaus know it. Bemoaning any of this to the media is a ploy for sympathy and it only works if people don't understand the business side of NFL contracts.

Last edited by LionFan57 on November 8th, 2005, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 8th, 2005, 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

spidey sense tells me it is going to be a surprise, tingling sensation getting stronger, i can't believe it - he is going to hook up with vick in atlanta.

like wags said, "you heard it here first" :wink:

Agreed. He said he wanted to play in the ATL when he was having his preseason hissyfit.

November 8th, 2005, 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next