View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 22nd, 2018, 7:03 am



Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Where does TO wind up? 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10982
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
John Clayton is saying:

Denver
Minnesota
Atlanta

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


November 8th, 2005, 10:41 pm
Profile
Post 
LionFan57 wrote:
2) The Eagles discounted the amount of the contract because of the potential liability that TO brings to the table in terms of being a problem and a disruption.

The risk that the Eagles took was offset by the price they paid to get him and that risk was further mitigated by contract language that would refund the organization if Owens would indeed be the distraction he has been. A financial penalty for misconduct if you will.


That would sure be nice.... if it were true. TO's contract wasn't "discounted" at all. The contract IS for a quality level of pay to a quality WR. HOWEVER, the contract has huge salary escalators in the latter years of the contract. Years that Phili never intends to have TO on their roster. That is the main issue.


November 9th, 2005, 12:12 am
Post 
conversion02 wrote:
John Clayton is saying:

Denver
Minnesota
Atlanta


Pritchett added Detroit. I would LOVE to have him here.


November 9th, 2005, 12:13 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 9:00 am
Posts: 1839
Location: Greensboro, NC
Post 
TO just agreed in principle to a 1-year deal to rake leaves in my back yard. Drew wanted to demand more, but I stood my ground and I think both parties are pleased.

TO arrives at my house at noon Wednesday to sign, and a press conference will be held at 1pm. I expect him to get right to work--the city will be collecting at 5pm, so he'll have to jump right in and learn the playbook.


November 9th, 2005, 3:00 am
Profile
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
LionFan57 wrote:
2) The Eagles discounted the amount of the contract because of the potential liability that TO brings to the table in terms of being a problem and a disruption.

The risk that the Eagles took was offset by the price they paid to get him and that risk was further mitigated by contract language that would refund the organization if Owens would indeed be the distraction he has been. A financial penalty for misconduct if you will.


That would sure be nice.... if it were true. TO's contract wasn't "discounted" at all. The contract IS for a quality level of pay to a quality WR. HOWEVER, the contract has huge salary escalators in the latter years of the contract. Years that Phili never intends to have TO on their roster. That is the main issue.



It is true - You are wrong sir! I don't know how else to tell you you're wrong.

You didn't even quote (or maybe even read) my entire post - the part that specifically dealt with the later years in NFL contracts. I therefore know, that you know, you are wrong...

LF57 wrote:
Many NFL contracts have heavier, not likely to be received payouts in the later years and are there for a variety of reasons. (Not the least of which is the 'ego satisfaction' they bring when averaging out the contract. In fact they are known as the 'Ego Clause' among agents and front office staff). Many - if not most - contracts contain them and are usually redone or cancelled before they even take place. An 8 year deal is done so the signing bonus can fit in under the cap. This stuff is nothing new and TO and Rosenhaus know it. Bemoaning any of this to the media is a ploy for sympathy and it only works if people don't understand the business side of NFL contracts.


Also, TO's argument all along has been that he is "the best WR in the game" but he's not paid like the top 5. His contract is a 'rich' one by virtually any standard - but it isn't top 5 status. The fact that he's a perpetual distraction everywhere he goes (among other factors) contributed to the fact that he's not being paid more. The Eagles have every right in the world to not pay TO more if they don't feel he's worth it - and he's not. The free agent market determines your worth, and he took the best offer available to 'the best WR in the game'.

TO wants what everybody on the planet wants - more money now. If he wanted more money up front he shouldn't have signed with the Eagles and taken another offer that gave him more money in the early years.

But Wait... No one offered more than the Eagles.

In other words, he took the best offer available.

Now he wants more.

So he wants to change the deal.

And you think the Eagles are the low class ones.

:rolleyes:



BTW, MW2...

mwill2 wrote:
TO just agreed in principle to a 1-year deal to rake leaves in my back yard. Drew wanted to demand more, but I stood my ground and I think both parties are pleased.

TO arrives at my house at noon Wednesday to sign, and a press conference will be held at 1pm. I expect him to get right to work--the city will be collecting at 5pm, so he'll have to jump right in and learn the playbook.



This is funny!

LOL!

If it wasn't for his ability to catch a ball this is what he'd be doing for a living.

_________________
Image


November 9th, 2005, 6:35 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
That would sure be nice.... if it were true. TO's contract wasn't "discounted" at all. The contract IS for a quality level of pay to a quality WR. HOWEVER, the contract has huge salary escalators in the latter years of the contract. Years that Phili never intends to have TO on their roster. That is the main issue.


I got news for you, just about every free agent "star" has a contract set up like this. Do you realize how much money Shaun Rogers has is the latter two years of his new contract with Detroit? It's outrageous, but it's the norm. As for incentives, the CBA has it broken down into two categories, Easy to Achieve and Difficult to Achieve (not the actual wording, but easier to understand). Incentives that are easy to achieve are included as a part of the teams salary cap for that year. Ones that are difficult to achieve are not included, but if those milestones are reached, are made part of the salary cap for the following year. As for the escalators from year to year in salary, the CBA also has rules concerning that. These are rules that the players agreed to when the CBA was voted on. So if T.O. doesn't like his deal, he should complain to his union rep. Also, let's remember that T.O. didn't have to sign his deal, but he did. He didn't have to go to Philadelphia, but he demanded to. And he doesn't have to open his incredibly big and stupid yap every time something happens that doesn't suit him, but he does.

When it comes down to it, Terrell and Drew created this mess because of their ultra inflated egos and their inability to accept the situation that THEY dictated. The deal Owens got was fair, given the baggage he carried with him. And the Eagles were proven right NOT to give him a huge sum of money, because he STILL would have been a trouble maker.


The best place for TO to end up is under a bus.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


November 9th, 2005, 3:20 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
conversion02 wrote:
John Clayton is saying:

Denver
Minnesota
Atlanta


LOL @ Minnesota. They trade away Moss, and now want Owens.


November 9th, 2005, 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2005, 9:02 am
Posts: 309
Location: Oceania
Post 
conversion02 wrote:
Atlanta


Over Greg Knapp's dead body.

_________________
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.." - Carl Sagan


November 9th, 2005, 8:39 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10982
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
LostinIA wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Atlanta


Over Greg Knapp's dead body.


LostInIA - where are you in IA?

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


November 9th, 2005, 8:45 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Joined: October 13th, 2005, 7:42 pm
Posts: 684
Location: some beach, somewhere
Post 
The CFL!!!!! :D


November 9th, 2005, 10:13 pm
Profile
Varsity Captain
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2005, 9:02 am
Posts: 309
Location: Oceania
Post 
conversion02 wrote:
LostInIA - where are you in IA?


Quad Cities. You?

_________________
"Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.." - Carl Sagan


November 10th, 2005, 9:02 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10982
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
Ames - ISU

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


November 10th, 2005, 11:53 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 10408
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
DREW SHARP: Eagles at fault in T.O. mess
November 10, 2005
BY DREW SHARP
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST
We pine for the truth, but searching for it requires more effort than most are willing to expend. The truth often lies between spin and speculation, demanding the opening of one's mind to other possibilities before rendering judgment.
As a nation, we're more close-minded now than we were 40 years ago, yet we howl about a lack of in-your-face, damn-the-consequences directness from those who govern, inform and even entertain us.
Many people consider Terrell Owens a jerk because he speaks up and dares to tell his teammates, his employers and his supporters exactly what he thinks. Owens' honesty is construed as selfishness or even stupidity by those with an unyielding point of view.

Truth is, the Philadelphia Eagles are as much to blame for what is quickly becoming a wasted season for the defending NFC champs -- yet Owens is viewed as the lone villain.
Why? Because it's easy, requiring little thought.
Owens asked that his contract be renegotiated -- it wasn't -- then had run-ins with the coach and teammates.
The immediate public reflex in these matters is that millionaire athletes should shut up and play.
But T.O. could play for me any day. With him, there's no ambiguity -- you know what you're getting.
There wouldn't be any sideline "miscommunications" with him as supposedly was the case with Steve Mariucci and receiver Roy Williams at Minnesota on Sunday. And while Owens is under suspension by the Eagles for four games, at least he hasn't been suspended for flunking a third drug test like Charles Rogers.
But T.O. and the Lions wouldn't be a good marriage because the Lions want nothing to do with the truth.
It wouldn't surprise anyone if somewhere within the bowels of the Lions' Allen Park asylum, Mariucci and quarterback Jeff Garcia are chuckling at the unraveling of Owens' reputation. Owens didn't hide his disdain for Mariucci or Garcia during their stay in San Francisco. And although some of the personal attacks Owens made against the pair were out of bounds, his assessment of Mariucci's overly conservative offensive philosophy seems dead-on now, doesn't it?
T.O. was right about Mooch, but those opinions were dismissed at the time as the rantings of a megalomaniac who talks because he loves the sound of his voice.
There's no question that he rubs some the wrong way, but that doesn't mean his opinions are devoid of all substance.
But that demands a willingness to think outside of the box.
You want the "truth" about the NFL?
There are no multi-year contracts, only heavily frontloaded one-year deals. Teams can release players in a heartbeat if they believe he has underperformed, so why is it sacrilege for a player to demand a contract renegotiation if he's played well?
The Eagles blew this one from the start.
Their management flaunts its abhorrence of renegotiation. They've traded others who have challenged that philosophy, but they weren't going to move Owens because, if they did, it would mean T.O. would have won. They couldn't handle a player rising up and staying true to the courage of his convictions, regardless of the consequences.
T.O. lost only money. The Eagles lost a season.
There's a good chance Owens can financially recoup much of what he has lost, but the Eagles have only so many chances to win a Super Bowl.
Donovan McNabb doesn't get this year back. It's gone. The physical punishment the players will absorb this season pushes them one year closer to the end of their careers. But Philly management doesn't care because, in its mind, the players remain disposable commodities.
Anyway, it's just easier making T.O. the bad guy.


And now, let me offer some answers to Mr. Drew Sharp regarding his opinions in this regard.

Many people consider Terrell Owens a jerk because he speaks up and dares to tell his teammates, his employers and his supporters exactly what he thinks. Owens' honesty is construed as selfishness or even stupidity by those with an unyielding point of view.

Many people consider Terrell Owens a jerk not because of the subject matter of his opinions, but in how he chooses to express those opinions. Tell me Mr. Sharp, are you so brutally honest with your boss, or with your family, or with your wife or girlfriend? In response to a question posed by any of the so named, do you respond in a fashion that they find offensive or demeaning, or do you soften your response while maintaining an air of truth. There is a right way and a wrong way to respond to a question that forces an honest, yet unflattering answer. Owens continually elects to respond the wrong way. And often times, Terrell chooses to voice his opinions even when he isn?t asked for them. Therefore, he is creating the problem not responding to it.

Truth is, the Philadelphia Eagles are as much to blame for what is quickly becoming a wasted season for the defending NFC champs -- yet Owens is viewed as the lone villain.
Why? Because it's easy, requiring little thought.
Owens asked that his contract be renegotiated -- it wasn't -- then had run-ins with the coach and teammates.
The immediate public reflex in these matters is that millionaire athletes should shut up and play.
But T.O. could play for me any day. With him, there's no ambiguity -- you know what you're getting.


And Owens likewise knew what he was getting when he elected to go to Philadelphia. The team has had a long standing policy not to renegotiate contracts with players. Owens knew that when HE forced the trade to Philadelphia. He knew that when HE signed the contract. I don?t recall any lengthy negotiation time or any complaining from Owens or his agent about the terms of the contract. Remember, Terrell was on his way to Baltimore until he whined and cried about not wanting to go there. Owens got his way when he really shouldn?t have. And the reason Owens wanted to go to Philadelphia? Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid, the same people he chooses to publicly barbeque when he doesn?t get his way. He knew that with McNabb and Reid he had the best shot of getting to the Super Bowl, which he did. He played a great season and an awe inspiring game in the Super Bowl. But when the Eagles didn?t win, he lashed out when he shouldn?t have. Was Owens a big part of the Eagles getting to the Super Bowl in 2005? Absolutely. Did he get to the Super Bowl on his own? Absolutely not. Football is a team sport, and Owens has no concept of playing as part of a team. He plays for himself and has no cares as to what happens with the rest of his team, which is what got him into the predicament he is in. If the contract that Owens signed at the onset of the 2004 season was so unfair to him, it should have been made an issue then, and not after the season. He was given a good sum of money in the form of a signing bonus when his contract was finalized. And, news flash Drew, most every NFL contract is structured in the exact same way that Terrell Owens contract is.

It wouldn't surprise anyone if somewhere within the bowels of the Lions' Allen Park asylum, Mariucci and quarterback Jeff Garcia are chuckling at the unraveling of Owens' reputation. Owens didn't hide his disdain for Mariucci or Garcia during their stay in San Francisco. And although some of the personal attacks Owens made against the pair were out of bounds, his assessment of Mariucci's overly conservative offensive philosophy seems dead-on now, doesn't it?
T.O. was right about Mooch, but those opinions were dismissed at the time as the rantings of a megalomaniac who talks because he loves the sound of his voice.


How easy it is for you to seemingly dismiss the personal attacks you bring up in this paragraph. The attacks you say, were ?out of bounds? were much worse that that. His attacks were highly personal and definitely not politically correct. I wonder Mr. Sharp, would you be willing to dismiss racially motivated remarks that Garcia could have made toward Owens in a similar fashion? While I agree that Owens comments about Mariucci?s philosophy were correct, his continued berating of the 49ers organization is what got him traded. When Mariucci was released, Owens continued on his ill advised rants and continued his self advertising. THAT is what gets him perceived as a megalomaniac.

There's no question that he rubs some the wrong way, but that doesn't mean his opinions are devoid of all substance.
But that demands a willingness to think outside of the box.
You want the "truth" about the NFL?
There are no multi-year contracts, only heavily frontloaded one-year deals. Teams can release players in a heartbeat if they believe he has underperformed, so why is it sacrilege for a player to demand a contract renegotiation if he's played well?
The Eagles blew this one from the start.


Once again, it isn?t necessarily the opinions that rub people the wrong way, but the manner in which Terrell Owens chooses to offer them. His crass manner of criticizing others doesn?t ?demand a willingness to think outside the box?, it only demands a low browed approach to dealing with matters that should be handled in the locker room and not in the media.
As for the truth about the NFL, let?s remember some things. The Players Union has agreed to certain stipulations regarding the accepted manner in which the players? contracts can be structured as part of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This is something that the players are aware of, voted on and accepted. So it?s not like the NFL is doing anything subordinate or illegal. Also, a player is fully aware, at the time of the contracts signing, all the policies of the NFL and that individual team in regards to personal behavior and the repercussions that are allowable. So, in fact, the manner in which Owens is being paid is an accepted practice in the NFL. The manner in which he is being handled by the Eagles is an accepted practice in the NFL. And the fact is that rarely are high profile, high compensated players in their primes released for underperforming. When Owens was hurt, did he still receive a paycheck? Yes he did. How many other professions out there pay their workers the full amount of their salaries while they are out on extended disability? Very few professions, Mr. Sharp, very few. Yet Owens was paid his full salary while recuperating from his leg injuries. And he was paid extremely well. So excuse us if we don?t boo-hoo for Terrell and his ?poor? financial situation. Contracts in the NFL often include incentives and bonuses for players who perform well. The contract Owens has is no exception. Also, because of the salary cap and the manner in which it is handled, teams are ?penalized? for releasing high priced players with long term contracts who ?underperform? by way of ?dead money?.
The only thing the Eagles ?blew? in this case is the fact that they thought Owens would behave while playing in their city. The Eagles were very, very wrong.

Their management flaunts its abhorrence of renegotiation. They've traded others who have challenged that philosophy, but they weren't going to move Owens because, if they did, it would mean T.O. would have won. They couldn't handle a player rising up and staying true to the courage of his convictions, regardless of the consequences.

Once again, if the Eagles ?flaunt its abhorrence of renegotiation? as you say, then Owens knew what he was getting into. Kind of hard to blame the team for staying the course. Why should they make an exception for Owens? Funny how you are so willing to applaud Terrell for ?staying true to the courage of his convictions? but want to damn the organization for staying true to theirs. Your arguments are decidedly once sided and without substance in this regard. Basically, they make no sense what so ever.
They didn?t move Owens because there is no way any team was going to accept him in trade and give the Eagles an acceptable amount of compensation. Even with his solid play in the season and his Super Bowl performance, I doubt any team would have given even a third round pick for Owens before this season started, and would be unwilling to give even less now.

T.O. lost only money. The Eagles lost a season.
There's a good chance Owens can financially recoup much of what he has lost, but the Eagles have only so many chances to win a Super Bowl.


No, Mr. Sharp, Terrell can NEVER make back what he has lost this season. Owens has lost more than just money, he has lost respect. He has lost the ability to market himself to advertisers for endorsement money because he portrays a negative image in the minds of many, MANY consumers, regardless of your skewed opinions. And, I doubt he will get a contract from any team, no matter how desperate, that will offer him the financial compensation that the Eagles had for him. I know he will never get what he thinks he deserves, because there isn?t enough money to satisfy his ego.
And while the Eagles may not get back to the Super Bowl this year, there is enough talent on that team, young talent, to make a few more runs in the coming years. And besides, I will be willing to bet that the Eagles will get back to the Super Bowl before Terrell Owens does. This was his best opportunity to get another ring, and he blew it. Not one contending team in the NFL will have him on their roster, because Owens will never truly be accepted as part of the team.

Donovan McNabb doesn't get this year back. It's gone. The physical punishment the players will absorb this season pushes them one year closer to the end of their careers. But Philly management doesn't care because, in its mind, the players remain disposable commodities.

And the fact of the matter is, the players are disposable and they are commodities. This is not just true with the Eagles or with the NFL, it is true in all business. You are a disposable commodity as well, and you are likewise one year closer to retirement and have one year removed from your ability to win any awards. So what?s the difference?

Anyway, it's just easier making T.O. the bad guy.

No, it?s not easier to make T.O. the bad guy, it?s just the more open-minded approach to the situation because this is more than a matter of siding with ?the underdog?, as you are doing. I would be far more willing to side with a player like Javon Walker, who was vastly underpaid for his performance in 2004 and lost his bid for a contract renegotiation. Owens forced his trade to the Eagles and agreed to his contract less than 12 months before demanding a renegotiation. I believe the only reason you side with Owens is because he is opinionated and speaks his mind. I can respect that and side with that as well. But only if in doing so, he doesn?t intentionally attempt to demoralize his teammates or make false derogatory comments about them. THAT is what makes Terrell Owens the bad guy, in ANY situation.

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


November 10th, 2005, 1:00 pm
Profile
Pro Bowl Player
User avatar

Joined: April 19th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Posts: 2478
Location: Michigan
Post 
Quote:
Perhaps the most asked question inside the NFL this week is: Just what were those cheerleaders doing in that stall? Er, I mean, sorry: Will T.O. play for the Eagles again? Perhaps the second most asked question is: If not, where will he play next year?
There are 31 other teams where Owens did not carve up the QB for the sound bite of the week. There are 31 other coaches that Owens did not push over the edge (actually, make that 30 as Steve Mariucci may have something to say about this).
Surely, one of the greatest receiving talents of this generation will be given another chance, won't he? Heck, if Mike Tyson can use Evander Holyfield as his personal cannibalistic smorgasbord and be allowed back into the sports arena, why can't T.O.?


Terrell Owens, seen here at Thursday night's Hawks-Clippers game, is just waiting to see when and where he'll play next. (John Bazemore / Associated Press)

He didn't use racial epithets to anger an entire city like John Rocker did, another sports villain allowed from team to team. Heck, he didn't even incur the absolute and primitive wrath of gridiron fans the way Ryan Leaf did and yet even Leaf was given a third shot.

Working on the assumption that Owens will be back to take a verbal swing at yet another quarterback someday, somewhere, we decided to take a look at all 31 of the other teams and analyze his chances of landing in a city near you next year. Much of the information was gathered during conversations with head coaches, GMs and team presidents. Other teams I've simply used whatever rationale I have remaining after being drained of all of my cell phone batteries (that's right, plural, batteries) in the wake of The Owens Armageddon.

But before we take a team-by-team look at potential interest, we must first look at the effect of his actions. Owens' events will surely cause a chain reaction of behind-the-scenes talk he will have no control over stopping. People inside the NFL talk every day. Owners talk to other owners. GMs talk to GMs and coaches talk to coaches. For some reason they often call each other regarding free agents and actually believe what the other has to say.

Trust us on this one folks, Reid, president Joe Banner and owner Jeff Lurie will be asked by their brethren about the whole truth on T.O. and there's probably loads behind the scenes they haven't revealed to John Q Public or Jay Glaze Insider.

So that's strike one vs. Owens. Strike two? Players talk, especially at the Pro Bowl. Every year the Pro Bowl proves to be a wonderful recruiting area for players to convince others to join their squad via free agency. Actually, it happened two years ago when an injured wideout from the 49ers went to Honolulu and was heavily recruited by a QB named McNabb.

Now let's reverse the process. Imagine the forum McNabb will have at the pool or in practice where he too will allow his cronies into just how much of a nightmare the wideout was behind the scenes. That message could, in turn, be delivered back to the teams of inquiring minds.

Strike three? This whole debacle was caused by Owens' desire for guaranteed money. What happens when he hits the open market and his money, guaranteed or not, isn't anywhere near where he hopes? That will certainly throw a wrench into his plans and his happiness. Most teams we've talked to insist any deal a team would throw his way would have to be loaded with incentives as well as a clause that would demand back money in the case of insubordination or conduct detrimental to the team. Pretty much a copy of the Ricky Williams deal with Miami. That contract called for Williams to make base salary and bonus money based upon performance.

Each year he was to have his salary increase and be given a bonus based upon his numbers and the team's offensive stats. The contract, however, was accompanied by a clause that stated if he pretty much breathed wrong he'd have to give back all previous salary and bonuses accrued as a result of his incentives.

But despite the three strikes that Owens has working against him, somebody, somewhere will have the big guy stirring it up in a locker room near you next year. Let's take a look at all 31 other locker rooms and try to figure out which locker room it may be:

NFC

Atlanta Falcons ? T.O. has stated his desire to play near his home. Owner Arthur Blank has stated his insistence that it ain't gonna happen. President/GM Rich McKay has also told me it won't happen and T.O.'s former offensive coordinator Gregg Knapp, who Owens lashed out at on national TV, says that the bombastic wideout simply wouldn't fit into their locker room. Different personalities. Sorry T.O., nothing but a pipe dream.

Arizona Cardinals ? I could totally picture Denny Green welcoming T.O. with open arms if he hadn't already invested in Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. I'd love to see T.O. breaking bread at some discount eatery with the Bidwells on a recruiting trip.

Carolina Panthers ? Absolutely not. Doesn't fit the Richardsons and certainly doesn't fit coach John Fox.

Chicago Bears ? Not the type of guy ownership or head coach Lovie Smith would really want to bring in. The Bears are a run, run, run and let-our-defense-take-care-of-the-rest team. Plus, Smith has created tremendous locker room chemistry. Owens simply wouldn't fit.


Don't discount the idea of Keyshawn Johnson and Terrell Owens being teammates in Dallas. (Doug Benc / Getty Images)

Dallas Cowboys ? We love this fit. Just the type of guy the Jones Boys would love to stick it to an NFC East foe. The world says they don't have a true No. 1 down there? Throw him in with Bledsoe's deep ball and Keyshawn's still-steady production and there could be something to fear. Plus, Parcells' persona may be just what the doctor ordered. Come on Dallas, pull the trigger. Two wideouts cast off by their teams looking to wreak their vengeful havoc on the East, that's the stuff of reality TV, baby.

Detroit Lions ? Who knows what this team will do or where they are going? Will Mooch and/or Matt Millen be back? Who will be the QB next year? If it's Jeff Garcia, let's just move to the next team. Plus, they already have three No. 1 picks at receiver. They do need a veteran wideout to show the younger kids how to truly be a professional, but they don't need it to be T.O. Wouldn't it be great, though, to see the look on Mooch's and Garcia's face if Millen, even jokingly, told them he's bringing Owens in for a visit? Only Ashton Kutcher could pull off that extravagant of a stunt. Garcia was already on Punk'd once before.

Green Bay Packers ? Not new GM Ted Thompson's type of guy. They were worried enough about Ahman Green's off-field domestic incident. Imagine how much they'd worry about Owens' baggage. Imagine if Owens ever played with Favre and publicly lambasted this QB? That fallout would be pay-per-view worthy.

Minnesota Vikings ? Depends on who the Vikings hire to be their personnel guy/GM and head coach. But considering how many problems they've already had, the last thing they need is to float the boat of controversy some more.

New Orleans Saints ? Depends upon who the coach is next year. The Saints have never been afraid to take chances on guys but they already have one outspoken, creative TD celebrator in Joe Horn. Don't know how to read this one.

New York Giants ? Coughlin and Owens? Yeah baby, we'd love to see it. The coach's fine jar would be filled on a weekly basis. You've got a better shot of finding Owens and Reid in a bathroom stall together in Tampa then you have of Coughlin bringing him to the G-Men.

St. Louis Rams ? Not a bad fit opposite Torry Holt as Isaac Bruce isn't getting any younger or healthier. However, there is no way to know about this place as they will have a new coach and a new personnel man after the year.


There's been too much damage done to expect Terrell Owens back in a 49ers uniform. (Stephen Dunn / Getty Images)

San Francisco 49ers ? Definitely not Mike Nolan's type of guy. Plus, there's already been too much damage done between Owens and the Yorks. They wouldn't go through it again.

Seattle Seahawks ? Can't see Mike Holmgren taking on Andy Reid's baggage. This is another place where the coach-to-coach communication hurts Owens.

Tampa Bay Bucs ? I could see it. Bucs GM Bruce Allen and head coach Jon Gruden don't like people telling them who they should and shouldn't sign (i.e.: Darrell Russell). Gruden loves explosive playmakers. However, Gruden is also an Andy Reid guy so the info he receives may be too much for him to bear.

Washington Redskins ? Snyder probably would; Gibbs definitely wouldn't.

AFC

Buffalo Bills ? Not Mike Mularkey's type of guy. However, he could be a bit tempted in order to help J.P. Losman in the future. Then again, naaaaah.

Baltimore Ravens ? Didn't T.O. already publicly rip Ozzie Newsome for using the race card when Owens was originally sent to the Ravens? Wait a minute, didn't Owens already do whatever he could to get the heck away from the Ravens?

Cincinnati Bengals ? Marvin Lewis already runs the NFL's version of Kinder Care, he won't add T.O. to the mix.

Cleveland Browns ? The Browns actually could make some sense as they need to build every area of the squad and have loads of cap room and cash from which to do it. He and Braylon Edwards can compare marketing deals and Edwards could actually learn from T.O.'s work ethic (despite the extraneous garbage, Owens is a workout and treatment fiend and has a terrific work ethic). However, Cleveland is still a couple of years away from being a serious contender. Owens' suitor will likely be a team that thinks it sits just around the corner from the whole enchilada.

Denver Broncos ? Now this is Mike Shanahan's type of signing. Shanny has shown a penchant for signing others' unwanted and unloved in an attempt to show he can resurrect. Rod Smith is still effective but they need another true threat in that offense as time goes on. This one seems as likely as any other place.

Houston Texans ? Depends who runs the place next year. Pitting him with young stud-in-the-making-if-he-can-stay-healthy Andre Johnson could be lethal.

Indianapolis Colts ? Can't fit him into salary structure of the offense. Plus, they don't need him disrupting the Manning-Harrison Zen that fellow Zen-like, laidback leader Tony Dungy basks in.

Jacksonville Jaguars ? Coach Jack Del Rio admitted he doesn't mind handling the alpha-male type of NFL personality. However, at the same time, Del Rio admits that owner Wayne Weaver told the coach and front office when Owens on the market (sort of) last year that bringing him down to J'Ville was out of the question.

Kansas City Chiefs ? Kansas City has shown a history of being aggressive in the off-season. It also depends who the Chiefs' coach is next year. Owens and Tony Gonzalez would be lethal together and the Chiefs often move as if they are just a piece or two away from turning the corner. Still, I'm not so sure I can see old-school Lamar Hunt agreeing to this one.

Miami Dolphins ? Nick Saban needs another true weapon in that offense and offensive coordinator has already handled Randy Moss. Plus, Lil' Nicky isn't the type to let league sentiment steer him either way. He doesn't seem to care about personas, just whether or not a guy will help the team.

New England Patriots ? Next.

New York Jets ? The front office wouldn't do it, but Herm Edwards believes he can make most players follow his path. I seriously doubt, however, that they would bring him closer to the Big Apple.

Oakland Raiders ? Perfect fit, but not enough cap room. The Raiders currently have more money toward next year's cap than any team in the league. Plus, think of all the extra money they'd have to spend on ear plugs and anti-anxiety meds for Kerry Collins if they threw Moss, Porter and Owens at him.

Pittsburgh Steelers ? Antwaan Randle-El is free to leave after the year, but the team's ownership, one of the sturdiest in league history, won't view him as their type of guy.

San Diego Chargers ? This fit I love. The Chargers have loads and loads of cap room and the sunny landscape of San Diego should be enough to make the harshest of Eagles float in the breeze. Imagine an offense with L.T., Gates and T.O.? Keenan McCardell would be the perfect complement. I love this fit. I don't know if GM A.J. Smith would do it as the team could be soured by the David Boston experiment. But I love this fit.

Tennessee Titans ? Titans coach Jeff Fisher could handle him but it's not likely considering he doesn't really fit with what they are trying to redo over there. Plus, Fisher would likely be swayed by what he hears behind the scenes from the Eagles.

_________________
[b]New York Giants 26 - San Fransisco 3 - CandleStick Park - Who's got it better than us???[/b]


November 11th, 2005, 11:32 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post No ruling yet on Owens' grievance hearing
Quote:
Saturday, November 19, 2005

No ruling yet on Owens' grievance hearing

By Rob Maaddi / Associated Press


PHILADELPHIA -- Terrell Owens might be closer to returning to the field this season, even though the Philadelphia Eagles still don't want him back.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch did not issue a ruling after the 13-hour arbitration hearing Friday.

Image
Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens acknowledges the media as he arrives for his arbitration hearing Friday in Philadelphia.

Richard Berthelssen, general counsel of the NFL Players' Association, said a decision is expected by Tuesday and expressed optimism that Owens would not have to sit out the remainder of the season.

The dismissed Owens -- who did not speak with reporters after leaving the hearing -- is seeking reinstatement.

"This discipline did not meet the legal standards of the collective bargaining agreement," said attorney Jeffrey Kessler, representing the union.

"He wants to play for Philadelphia," Kessler said. "He doesn't have any problem with his teammates, the organization or the fans. He never expected this to be the result."

Berthelssen said that the hearing started at 9:30 a.m. with three hours of opening arguments from the players' association, followed by eight hours of team testimony, and another two hours from the players' association general counsel.

The All-Pro wideout was suspended on Nov. 5 following a series of incidents in which he again criticized quarterback Donovan McNabb, called the organization "classless" and fought with former teammate Hugh Douglas, who serves as team "ambassador."

Two days later, the Eagles extended the suspension to four games and told Owens not to return to the team. Owens is losing more than $200,000 per game from his $3.5 million salary. He would be paid for the games he doesn't play if the Eagles deactivate him as planned once the suspension is up.

The players' association wants Philadelphia to release Owens if he's not going to be reinstated after the four-game suspension is over. Lawyers for the players' union argued Owens' punishment for conduct detrimental to the team was excessive and the suspension should be reduced.

The Eagles insist the suspension is justified, and also could be seeking to reclaim about $1.8 million of the $9 million signing bonus they gave Owens last year because they believe the petulant receiver violated his contract terms when he failed to show up at a mandatory post-draft camp in the spring.

Kessler said the Eagles have not made an attempt to reclaim that money -- and if they did, that would require another hearing.

Philadelphia most likely would make a decision on Owens -- either releasing or trading him -- by next March, when he is due to receive a $5 million roster bonus.

Owens arrived for the hearing with his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, shortly after 9 a.m. Friday morning. Eagles coach Andy Reid showed up about 4 1/2 hours later following the team's practice. Team president Joe Banner, offensive coordinator Brad Childress, head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder, and Douglas also were expected to testify, though it's not known if all did.

Owens' relationship with the Eagles took a drastic turn after he fired longtime agent David Joseph, hired Rosenhaus and demanded a new contract just one season into the seven-year, $48.97 million deal he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004.

The Eagles refused to redo the deal and Owens has clashed with management since. He earned a one-week exile from training camp after a heated dispute with Reid that followed a shouting match with Childress.

Soon after Philadelphia lost to New England in the Super Bowl, Owens took his first verbal shot at McNabb, suggesting the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback was tired in the fourth quarter of the loss.

McNabb responded harshly and the two didn't speak for a prolonged period in training camp. They briefly reconciled their relationship and performed well together on the field -- Owens had 47 catches for 763 yards and six TDs in seven games.

After Owens sat out a 17-10 loss to Washington, McNabb said the team was "better off" without its top playmaker.

McNabb, however, threw a crucial interception that was returned for the winning score in the final minutes of a 21-20 loss to Dallas on Monday night that dropped the last-place Eagles to 4-5. McNabb now is facing the possibility of season-ending surgery for a sports hernia, and will miss Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

A contrite Owens pleaded for another chance in a public apology outside his home in Moorestown, N.J., one day after the Eagles told him to go home. Some players, including linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, said this week they would welcome Owens back. But management hasn't changed its stance.

Owens was set to earn base salaries of $770,000 in 2006, $5.5 million in 2007, $6.5 million in 2008, $7.5 million in 2009, and $8.5 million in 2010.



This is a good update on the state of the TO saga.

A decision is expected Tuesday.

I would think that if any of us did to our employers and workmates (fight etc.) that we would be thankful a four week suspension. Our penalties would be MUCH more severe than he has had to deal with.

He's a world class idiot!!

_________________
Image


November 19th, 2005, 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.