View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2018, 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Why stupid Mariucci is not getting interviewed by any teams? 
Pop Warner Rookie

Post Why stupid Mariucci is not getting interviewed by any teams?
Mariucci dont know how to give the balls to the playmakers and he was trying to make scottie vines a stud.This brainless mariucci screwed the lions franchise and he was the biggest curse to the lions.This outside polished ,SOB mariucci ate all the lions money. I get frustrated every time i think about this guy.My god i cant belive this guy got 5 million/year for doing nothing

January 8th, 2006, 7:17 pm
5th Round Pick - Traded

So I'll take a shot in the dark here...You don't care for Mooch? Just a guess. :lol:

January 8th, 2006, 9:12 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Quote:
Mariucci dont know how to give the balls to the playmakers and he was trying to make scottie vines a stud.This brainless mariucci screwed the lions franchise and he was the biggest curse to the lions.This outside polished ,SOB mariucci ate all the lions money. I get frustrated every time i think about this guy.My god i cant belive this guy got 5 million/year for doing nothing

what would you have done differently given the lions roster, injuries, and suspensions this season? nothing you wrote is even close to coherent and there is only one example of vines which is at best very arguable. i am not even sure that you pointed out or know of anything that mariucci did wrong. be careful what you wish for BABY because guys like al saunders, jim haslett, etc that we are looking at now are not the answer.

Last edited by The Legend on January 12th, 2006, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 9th, 2006, 12:51 pm
Pro Bowl Player

what would you have done differently given the lions roster, injuries, and suspensions this season? nothing you wrote is even close to coherent and there is only one example of vines which is at best very arguable. i am not even sure that you pointed out or know of anything that mariucci did wrong. be careful what you wish for BABY because guys like al saunders, jim haslett, etc that we are looking at now are not the answer.

I'll argue that Mooch was awful. just look at his blocking schemes. His RBBC - which I hate. Not putting the playmakers on the field. His QB guessing game. Playing Garcia instead of backing Harrington. Never establishing a running game, and abandoning the run every game. His washed up version of the west coast offense. I hated everything about his offense/offensive schemes. That goes without saying though when you don't have one I guess.

Not to mention hiring an OC that never really did anything. Letting a WR coach throw bricks at the Receivers. His 3rd down and 10 draw plays. Dink and Dunk passing schemes. the list just goes on.

And how can you say the coaches that are being interviewed won't be an upgrade. Nobody could be more predictable and uncreative than Mooch.

January 9th, 2006, 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Pop Warner Allstar

Mooch, IMO, is a victim of not adapting his scheme to our personnel. His system worked better in SF due to him having veteran players at the time who also had more talent that was already developed as opposed to potential. He could be more laid back there(SF) since a lot of those old-timers had a better idea of what kind of hard work it takes to be a player at that level.

It's also harder to get another look once you've "failed" twice in a row. I think he was odd man out with a new regime coming into SF at the time, but the knock against him is that he didn't do a whole lot with his opportunity with the Lions(obvious to all of us). When you factor in the trend of teams hiring assistants more often than previous coaches, he may have to wait some time or take a coordinator/asst. position to work himself back into favor(a la Gregg Williams) before he gets another shot.

Or, from what I hear, he could go coach XXbazooka.gif MSU

:lol:

January 11th, 2006, 3:29 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I'll agree with The Legend that it was an incoherent post, but I could go on and on and on about Mooch and why he isn't even being considered for another head coaching job.

1. Too stubborn to change an antiquated scheme that defenses have adapted to.

2. Too stubborn about said scheme to make adjustments at halftime or during the game like most coaches do.

3. Too stubborn about said scheme to adapt the plays to the strengths of his personnel.

4. Inability to maintain control in the locker room.

5. Inability to instill discipline.

6. Inability to develop younger players.

7. Lack of time management skills.

8. Lack of creativity.

9. Refusal to support key players on his roster, thus causing division.

10. Fill in the blank. I could come up with a hundred more if I really wanted to, but what's the point? I'm just glad that the POS is gone and I'm really not surprised that no other team wants to hire him.

January 12th, 2006, 1:23 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

i disagree with the notion that his scheme is outdated. its not like we are running option with wishbone or wingbacks out there. there are loads of teams in the NFL running offenses similar to ours. in fact is it the most popular offense in the NFL. childress and mccarthy are both new hires running the same outdated schemes.

2. Too stubborn about said scheme to make adjustments at halftime or during the game like most coaches do.

this is just poor perception on your part. there is no way to really quantify this but no coach adjusts their "scheme" at halftime. you can call some difft plays with some difft goals in mind and the lions do this but u cant change your offense as a halftime adjustment.

3. Too stubborn about said scheme to adapt the plays to the strengths of his personnel.

i agree, this was not a strong suit of mariucci but would like to hear your examples. its probably about not throwing the ball more downfield or to the big WRs in the endzone. with little confidence in his QB and with 3 unproven players at WR, Mooch did the smartest thing at the moment. I think the drawback to this has to do with player development. Mooch correctly knew that this approach was more likely to generate a win at the time he made the calls but limiting the opportunities to make plays probably did stall the growth of both QBs and WRs.

well controlled until firing.

players didnt respond to suspensions and losses of playing time. nothing much you can do here but wait for guys to mature. just yelling at grown men is not an effective form of discipline.

i agree as above. there were some limitations to this though bc of a lack of experienced players on the roster to help mentor the youngsters as well.

clock management skills? i disagree with this. if you are talking about practice time management, as i understand mooch is one of the best at running efficient practice sessions. there was nothing disorganized about his coaching staffs.

8. Lack of creativity.
maybe, relatively conservative game planning but how risky do you get with scottie vines, glenn martinez, casey fitz and shawn bryson?

poor play had as much to with this as mooch who didnt publically bash Joe and didnt replace him in 2004 when it seemed Joe badly deserved a benching. he owed it to the team to give garcia a look this season when joey wasnt playing well. it helped joey too as he was better after the exacerbation of garcia's injury,

10. Fill in the blank. I could come up with a hundred more if I really wanted to, but what's the point? I'm just glad that the POS is gone and I'm really not surprised that no other team wants to hire him.
well good luck to the next coach and i look forward to all the problems you have with him. Thank you for providing 0 suggestions or alternatives in your post :)

January 12th, 2006, 1:53 am

The Legend, I'm not one to start arguments. I prefer to state my opinion and move on. If people don't like it, so what? However, I took exception to your comments about Mooch's antiquated offense. There are several variations of the WCO and the successful HCs have adapted the WCO to fit their personnel. How many times do Reid, Gruden, or Holmgren throw 2 yards on 3rd and 8? Atleast they incorporate some downfield options, unlike Mooch. How about some zone blocking schemes? Raiola can't man up on anybody, so why did he keep asking him to do so? Furthermore, the Z was the primary receiver on every play. Don't you think the DBs knew that? Mix it up a bit.

As for what he should have done, he could have started off with some zone protection schemes. He also could have utilized some cutback running plays to properly execute that scheme. How about some play action to freeze the LBs? You could say that the LBs never had to protect deep since the Lions never threw long and that would be my point. Give them something else to think about instead of playing short zone knowing that the Lions would throw short. If you didn't see this, you definitely weren't watching the same Lion game that I was.

Time management? I'll leave that one alone because I'm laughing too hard right now.

January 12th, 2006, 2:34 am
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:

i disagree with the notion that his scheme is outdated. its not like we are running option with wishbone or wingbacks out there. there are loads of teams in the NFL running offenses similar to ours. in fact is it the most popular offense in the NFL. childress and mccarthy are both new hires running the same outdated schemes.

this is just poor perception on your part. there is no way to really quantify this but no coach adjusts their "scheme" at halftime. you can call some difft plays with some difft goals in mind and the lions do this but u cant change your offense as a halftime adjustment.

i agree, this was not a strong suit of mariucci but would like to hear your examples. its probably about not throwing the ball more downfield or to the big WRs in the endzone. with little confidence in his QB and with 3 unproven players at WR, Mooch did the smartest thing at the moment. I think the drawback to this has to do with player development. Mooch correctly knew that this approach was more likely to generate a win at the time he made the calls but limiting the opportunities to make plays probably did stall the growth of both QBs and WRs.

well controlled until firing.

players didnt respond to suspensions and losses of playing time. nothing much you can do here but wait for guys to mature. just yelling at grown men is not an effective form of discipline.

i agree as above. there were some limitations to this though bc of a lack of experienced players on the roster to help mentor the youngsters as well.

clock management skills? i disagree with this. if you are talking about practice time management, as i understand mooch is one of the best at running efficient practice sessions. there was nothing disorganized about his coaching staffs.

8. Lack of creativity.
maybe, relatively conservative game planning but how risky do you get with scottie vines, glenn martinez, casey fitz and shawn bryson?

poor play had as much to with this as mooch who didnt publically bash Joe and didnt replace him in 2004 when it seemed Joe badly deserved a benching. he owed it to the team to give garcia a look this season when joey wasnt playing well. it helped joey too as he was better after the exacerbation of garcia's injury,

well good luck to the next coach and i look forward to all the problems you have with him. Thank you for providing 0 suggestions or alternatives in your post :)

every single one of these comebacks are pretty lame. Really I don't understand the love affair with mooch.

First his scheme is outdated because people saw how to beat it in SanFransisco and he insisted on bringing the entire team to Detroit. this is a copycat league, and when one team seen how to beat mooch, they all did.

then you asked for examples of where his scheme didn't match up with the personell. You have to be kidding right. Theres 16 weeks worth of film from this season alone.

Next you argued it wasn't his fault he couldnt hold the team together. That started in week 2 against chicago. the offense and defense, they Joey lovers/Garcia lovers. He was more to blame than anyone. He sucked at his job of offensive playcalling, and preferred the washed up moon ball of Jeff Garcia and didn't hold it back.

Clock Management cost the Lions three or four games this season. The next head coach if properly picked will see complaints 1-9 and fix them. Thats a head coaches job.

January 12th, 2006, 5:10 am
Profile WWW
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Clock Management cost the Lions three or four games this season.

if this is actually true than the lions were really a 9-7 team (therefore shouldve been 8-3 when mooch got fired, if this was really true why did they finish 1-4 with someone else controlling the clock?) if not for a difft use of timeouts and run/pass play calls. wow. i would like for you to point out the 4 games that the Lions lost because of clock management. right, u make simply an unbelievable statement. BTW you cant use any of the last 5 games bc mooch was not the coach.[/b]

January 13th, 2006, 3:13 am
Pro Bowl Player

Quote:
Clock Management cost the Lions three or four games this season.

if this is actually true than the lions were really a 9-7 team (therefore shouldve been 8-3 when mooch got fired[/b]

You know, I just can't argue with logic like that - what can I say, you win this debate

:roll:

January 13th, 2006, 3:20 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I know one game Jauron cost the team because of horrible clock management - Green Bay. That game was HORRIBLE. Legend - even you can't argue with that.

January 13th, 2006, 11:16 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

yes that GB game was horrendous clockwork on top of stupid playcalling. i agree that in that game better clockwork alone could have won the game for us. But Jauron is not Mooch.

January 13th, 2006, 3:15 pm

The Legend, I apologize if I offended you in any way. It's just that I hate Mooch and always will. The fact that he isn't even being interviewed by another team validates my point. If you like him, fine, but I never will. Peace.

January 14th, 2006, 6:58 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

no offense taken. the lions are a bad team with the league's worst front office. they have bad players, the only talent is very young and they have bad luck with injuries. There is only so much a coach can do but to win enough games to keep their job and wait for the young guys to come along. did mike williams really show enough in games to deserve balls in the red zone? was kevin jones really healthy enough this year to take more carries? would u have confidence in a back if he came out of the games so often after missing practice so often during the week? did charles rogers deserve to reclaim his starting role after his suspension? do u really think Mooch thought martinez and vines were more talented than rogers and williams? could this have been his form of discipline? shouldnt these players have responded better to losing their playing time? did you really think harrington played well enough in the season 1st half to deserve to keep his job at that time? were you not excited when Jeff led the Lions to victory AT CLE with the #4 and #5 WRs starting? how close were we to beating CHI in week 8 in regulation? how tough was Garcia in that game? didnt he do better than Joey did vs CHI, despite taking more shots under the same blitz? wasnt it actuallu exciting to watch Jeff and think, wow this guy will do whatever he can for a chance to win? wasnt Joey actually a better player when he regained the starting job? doesnt that indicate that having a veteran ahead of him may have helped and been useful earlier in his career? doesnt that put some of the blame for Harrington's development on Millen? werent we actually better with Mooch this year at 4-7 then without him at 1-4 and vs weaker teams with our offense relatively more healthy? with all the blame placed on Mooch/Garcia, didnt Mooch only start Garcia for 2 games? didnt Garcia actually give us a lift in those 2 games? did mooch not get us off to decent starts in each of the last 2 seasons at 4-2 and 3-3 this year and in 1st place? didnt injuries and lack of experienced depth especially at WR, RB, LB, and in the secondary cost us more games than bad coaching moves? didnt Mooch's conservative gameplans actually limit crucial mistakes and turnovers? didnt this keep us close in games vs teams much better than ours, like CHI, CAR, TB? did we not beat a BAL team that nobody really thought we could beat before the season? is there any doubt that those teams have more proven/experienced talent than ours? did coaching cost us those games? in mooch's 11 games did we lose to any teams that we were better than? is it really so wrong to gain what the defense gives u on 3rd and long rather than give in to desperation and risk a big mistake? isnt it a bigger crime to actually end up with consistent 3rd and long situations than to struggle to convert them? was the play calling really that bad or just not what typical fans would call on video games? do u think we really wouldve lost at GB with Mooch? shouldnt this team actually be working on upgrading the personnel and adding experienced players? did Millen actually sign any decent players before Mooch arrived? wasnt he a stabilizing force for the franchise that helped us attract players like Woody, Bly, Pollard, Kennedy? arent there a lot of things that u r overlooking that will be missed with Mooch's departure?

Last edited by The Legend on January 15th, 2006, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 14th, 2006, 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next