View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 21st, 2018, 1:47 am



Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Packers New Head Coach - Mike McCarthy 
Author Message
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post Packers New Head Coach - Mike McCarthy
McCarthy set to become coach

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/breakpack_24245463.shtml

By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

Copyright 2006

The Green Bay Packers are set to hire Mike McCarthy as their new head coach, according to NFL sources.

McCarthy, 42, was the Packers? quarterbacks? coach in 1999, and this past season was the San Francisco 49ers? offensive coordinator. Before that he was offensive coordinator for the New Orleans Saints from 2000 through 2004.

The Packers are expected to announce the hiring sometime Thursday or Friday morning

General Manager Ted Thompson interviewed McCarthy on Sunday ? he was one of seven candidates Thompson met with in a search to replace fired coach Mike Sherman. Thompson?s final interview was Tuesday with defensive coordinator Jim Bates, who also appeared to be a leading candidate. But Bates said Thompson informed him early Wednesday evening that he wasn?t getting the job.

McCarthy is one of the many coaches league-wide who runs a version of the West Coast offense.


January 11th, 2006, 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2005, 1:02 am
Posts: 721
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Post 
So that just leaves the Jets, Lions, Saints, and Rams coachless?? Or am I missing a team?? That means the Lions will have a better chance of landing a top coach!!


January 11th, 2006, 10:42 pm
Profile YIM
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell
User avatar

Joined: August 7th, 2004, 4:47 am
Posts: 10989
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Post 
adpreston1385 wrote:
So that just leaves the Jets, Lions, Saints, and Rams coachless?? Or am I missing a team?? That means the Lions will have a better chance of landing a top coach!!

The Raiders and Texans still need HC's too, but Kubiak seems destined for Houston. As for the Packers, why would they hire the OC of the worst offense in the league? I know that he didn't have very good players to coach, but c'mon.

_________________
Image


January 12th, 2006, 1:06 am
Profile
Post 
slybri19 wrote:
adpreston1385 wrote:
So that just leaves the Jets, Lions, Saints, and Rams coachless?? Or am I missing a team?? That means the Lions will have a better chance of landing a top coach!!

The Raiders and Texans still need HC's too, but Kubiak seems destined for Houston. As for the Packers, why would they hire the OC of the worst offense in the league? I know that he didn't have very good players to coach, but c'mon.


Seems like they're still trying to cater to Favre and were hell bent on staying away from Mooch... LoL... can you blame them???


January 12th, 2006, 1:16 am
Hall of Fame Player
User avatar

Joined: April 5th, 2005, 7:03 am
Posts: 7411
Location: Ford Field - 35 yard line / Row 32
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
adpreston1385 wrote:
So that just leaves the Jets, Lions, Saints, and Rams coachless?? Or am I missing a team?? That means the Lions will have a better chance of landing a top coach!!

The Raiders and Texans still need HC's too, but Kubiak seems destined for Houston. As for the Packers, why would they hire the OC of the worst offense in the league? I know that he didn't have very good players to coach, but c'mon.


Seems like they're still trying to cater to Favre and were hell bent on staying away from Mooch... LoL... can you blame them???



I agree on both counts.

How do you go from Mike Sherman to Mike McCarthy and look your fans in the face and say it's an upgrade?

Please! =;

GB fans will go crazy. And, why would Favre stay for that?

Still, they feel he's a better bet than Mooch... What's that tell you?



Their loss is our gain.

_________________
Image


January 12th, 2006, 2:19 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
They also felt that Aaron Rodgers was the right pick for their franchise.


January 12th, 2006, 3:40 am
Profile WWW
Junior Varsity

Joined: November 26th, 2005, 11:47 am
Posts: 186
Location: New Albany, IN
Post 
I know that it has been said, but I must say again, How is this guy better than Mike Sherman? I just don't get that move.


January 12th, 2006, 7:15 am
Profile
Post 
Brian wrote:
They also felt that Aaron Rodgers was the right pick for their franchise.


Given the age of Brett Favre and the value they got in Rogers, I don't think you can complain much about the Rogers pick. He was touted as the #1 overall before the Alex Smith bandwagon, and IMO he looks to be a better Qb than Alex Smith. Given the guy has played in a total of what?... 3 NFL games, I don't really see how anyone can complain about the A. Rodgers pick. He's been supportive of Favre. He doesn't have an ego problem. And he hasn't been disruptive by complaining about playing time, even when Favre has struggled. He hasn't made any big media blunders, ext... Personally I'd prefer to wait and see the guy play with a real team around him before I pass judgement... I know that's a crazy notion here in Motown.


January 12th, 2006, 2:10 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10026
Location: Dallas
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Given the age of Brett Favre and the value they got in Rogers, I don't think you can complain much about the Rogers pick. He was touted as the #1 overall before the Alex Smith bandwagon, and IMO he looks to be a better Qb than Alex Smith.


I think Rogers went where he should go in terms of draft value, I also think Smith should have gone somewhere near Rogers. I personally didn't think either was top 10 material, and questionable to go in the top 20. 2005 was a weak QB class period.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


January 12th, 2006, 3:15 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10950
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
I thought there was good talent in the later rounds though. I thought after round 2 and 3 there was excellent day 2 values. I thought Fitzpatrick, McPherson, LeFors, and Orton were all solid values where they were taken.

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


January 12th, 2006, 4:02 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Brian wrote:
They also felt that Aaron Rodgers was the right pick for their franchise.


Given the age of Brett Favre and the value they got in Rogers, I don't think you can complain much about the Rogers pick. He was touted as the #1 overall before the Alex Smith bandwagon, and IMO he looks to be a better Qb than Alex Smith. Given the guy has played in a total of what?... 3 NFL games, I don't really see how anyone can complain about the A. Rodgers pick. He's been supportive of Favre. He doesn't have an ego problem. And he hasn't been disruptive by complaining about playing time, even when Favre has struggled. He hasn't made any big media blunders, ext... Personally I'd prefer to wait and see the guy play with a real team around him before I pass judgement... I know that's a crazy notion here in Motown.


There is no justification for taking a backup QB in the first round, then a WR in the 3rd rond, when your team needs help on defense desperately. They know Favre's timeline, he is the only reason that team got as many wins as they did.

It wasn't the right pick, because it didn't benefit the team at all this season, nor will it next season, which is what they needed.

Ted Thompson is such a genious... i'm so glad he's in Green Bay.


January 12th, 2006, 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10950
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
Brian wrote:
he is the only reason that team got as many wins as they did.


Brian - I tend to agree with you on your point, but how can you say that? How can you say Favre is the only reason they got a whopping 4 wins? He didn't beat the Lions - the Lions beat the Lions. He didn't beat NO - GB's defense and STs had a field day with NO. That's half their win total right there. As well, they beat a Seattle team who was resting most of their stars.

Favre made them competitive in nearly half of their losses, I'm not denying that by any means (Carolina specifically), but he showed that he can't be the only person on the team to win games.

Saying he was the only reason they won 4 games is not a good thing.

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


January 12th, 2006, 5:12 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
I think that if they didn't have Favre, and the team had someone like Rodgers back there, then they wouldn't have a reliable leader who can perform at a high level and operate the offense, meaning less wins. I don't think they would have beat the Lions with Rodgers.


January 12th, 2006, 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Post 
Brian wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Brian wrote:
They also felt that Aaron Rodgers was the right pick for their franchise.


Given the age of Brett Favre and the value they got in Rogers, I don't think you can complain much about the Rogers pick. He was touted as the #1 overall before the Alex Smith bandwagon, and IMO he looks to be a better Qb than Alex Smith. Given the guy has played in a total of what?... 3 NFL games, I don't really see how anyone can complain about the A. Rodgers pick. He's been supportive of Favre. He doesn't have an ego problem. And he hasn't been disruptive by complaining about playing time, even when Favre has struggled. He hasn't made any big media blunders, ext... Personally I'd prefer to wait and see the guy play with a real team around him before I pass judgement... I know that's a crazy notion here in Motown.


There is no justification for taking a backup QB in the first round, then a WR in the 3rd rond, when your team needs help on defense desperately. They know Favre's timeline, he is the only reason that team got as many wins as they did.

It wasn't the right pick, because it didn't benefit the team at all this season, nor will it next season, which is what they needed.

Ted Thompson is such a genious... i'm so glad he's in Green Bay.


I don't see how they know Favre's time-line when Favre doesn't even seem to know his time-line. He seems pretty much season to season at this point. Argue all you want about the 3rd round WR.... I still don't think that the Rodgers pick was a bad one. Many had him top 10 and GB got him in the middle of the first round. Sounds like a value to me. IMO your logic is like saying St. Louis shouldn't have taken Steven Jackson because Faulk is still playing. Sure he's limited now, but he could have started the year Jackson came out.


January 13th, 2006, 2:23 am
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
I don't see how they know Favre's time-line when Favre doesn't even seem to know his time-line. He seems pretty much season to season at this point. Argue all you want about the 3rd round WR.... I still don't think that the Rodgers pick was a bad one. Many had him top 10 and GB got him in the middle of the first round. Sounds like a value to me. IMO your logic is like saying St. Louis shouldn't have taken Steven Jackson because Faulk is still playing. Sure he's limited now, but he could have started the year Jackson came out.


Well MAYBE, just MAYBE, Favre wouldn't be contemplating retirement if the organization is drafting backup quarterbacks and fifth string receivers on the first day.

You have a hall of famer in the backfield who has done everything possible for his organization, and you're surrounding him with crap. Hmmm, where have I heard that before?

No, this isn't at all like Jackson. Jackson was drafted to start, and did start, and plays right now. He was starting the season he was drafted, and big things were expected of him this season, as the starter. After next year, Rodgers will have spent 2 seasons on a bench, and who knows how much longer that will be.

It's almost as stupid as drafting a fourth string WR and coming out of 2 WR sets all season.


January 13th, 2006, 3:50 am
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.