View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 17th, 2018, 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Olsen to be Rams OC 
RIP Killer

Post Olsen to be Rams OC
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument

Another Ex-Lions coach makes good. (The Rams also named Haslett as their DC)

Quote:
The Rams also hired Detroit Lions quarterbacks coach Greg Olson to be their offensive coordinator.

Olson is the same age -- 42 -- as Linehan, and has playing and coaching roots that are familiar to his new boss.

After playing quarterback at Central Washington from 1983-84, Olson coached with John L. Smith and Dennis Erickson at Washington State from 1987-89.

Linehan played quarterback for Erickson at Idaho and was hired by Smith three times -- twice at Idaho and once at Louisville.

Olson's recent coaching stops include jobs as QB coach and recruiting coordinator at Purdue; QB coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 2001; and QB coach for the Chicago Bears in 2003.

He was hired by Steve Mariucci in 2004 as quarterbacks coach for the Lions, and served as offensive coordinator this past season. Among the quarterbacks he has worked with are Drew Brees (Purdue), Jeff Garcia (49ers) and Rex Grossman (Bears).

Olson will have the coordinator's title with the Rams, but Linehan will call the plays.

January 25th, 2006, 11:19 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Olsen to be Rams OC
Pablo wrote:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/433F5A96EBD9D39486257100005E0B3C?OpenDocument

Another Ex-Lions coach makes good. (The Rams also named Haslett as their DC)

Quote:
The Rams also hired Detroit Lions quarterbacks coach Greg Olson to be their offensive coordinator.

Olson is the same age -- 42 -- as Linehan, and has playing and coaching roots that are familiar to his new boss.

After playing quarterback at Central Washington from 1983-84, Olson coached with John L. Smith and Dennis Erickson at Washington State from 1987-89.

Linehan played quarterback for Erickson at Idaho and was hired by Smith three times -- twice at Idaho and once at Louisville.

Olson's recent coaching stops include jobs as QB coach and recruiting coordinator at Purdue; QB coach for the San Francisco 49ers in 2001; and QB coach for the Chicago Bears in 2003.

He was hired by Steve Mariucci in 2004 as quarterbacks coach for the Lions, and served as offensive coordinator this past season. Among the quarterbacks he has worked with are Drew Brees (Purdue), Jeff Garcia (49ers) and Rex Grossman (Bears).

Olson will have the coordinator's title with the Rams, but Linehan will call the plays.

Wow! - two coaches the Lions didn't want... They'll pry win the superbowl :lol:

January 25th, 2006, 1:40 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I'm not so sure how Olsen can screw up the use of Holt, Bruce, Bulger, Jackson, and Faulk...

Oh wait...Kevin Jones, Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Joey Harrington...

He'll have to throw a deeper ball because his WRs are frail and never get YAC...they go straight down. Good luck Greg!

January 25th, 2006, 3:51 pm
I'm not so sure how Olsen can screw up the use of Holt, Bruce, Bulger, Jackson, and Faulk...

Oh wait...Kevin Jones, Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, Mike Williams, Joey Harrington...

He'll have to throw a deeper ball because his WRs are frail and never get YAC...they go straight down. Good luck Greg!

IMO Holt is good at picking up YAC... Not because he's super huge and breaks tackles, but because he's elusive and makes people miss. I know his stats don't suggest it, but I think that's more to do with STL running little out routs and timing plays for quick first downs. I've seen Holt make a number of really small initial moves and go for huge gains though.

January 25th, 2006, 4:19 pm
ST Coordinator – Joe Marciano

Jauron and Olsen get promotions from better franchises. You mean Detroit's problem was not coaching?

January 26th, 2006, 7:36 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I have faith in Olsen and thought that he would do better when he got the controls the last couple of games. I think it was probably because Jaroun wouldn't move away from the WCO.

He will do well, IMO. But with that group, who wouldn't?

January 26th, 2006, 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

I have no faith in Olson b/c he along with Jauron thought Garcia could still play and call a crappy game for detroit. 1st and goal-Run, 2nd and goal Run and 3rd and goal Run and sometimes pass. He never realized we had 2 giant to throw the fade to.

January 29th, 2006, 4:29 pm
I have no faith in Olson b/c he along with Jauron thought Garcia could still play and call a crappy game for detroit. 1st and goal-Run, 2nd and goal Run and 3rd and goal Run and sometimes pass. He never realized we had 2 giant to throw the fade to.

I think he realized the talent at WR, but he didn't think the man delivering the ball was capable... Not my sentiments, just my feelings on his....

January 29th, 2006, 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]