View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2018, 7:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Who is the Biggest QB Bust Since Ryan Leaf? 

Tim Couch 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
Joey Harrington 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Cade McNown 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Akili Smith 52%  52%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 29

Hall of Fame Player

Post Who is the Biggest QB Bust Since Ryan Leaf?
ESPN.com wrote:
ESPN.com's poll

Tim Couch
Joey Harrington
Cade McNown
Akili Smith

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/index

Quote:
Current results:

Couch - 32%
Harrington - 21%
McNown - 13%
Smith - 35%

(< 35,000 votes)

Check out ESPN to see how Michigan rates them. But first vote here please.

I'm interested in how knowledgeable Lions fans and forum members see this poll and how they would vote.

Personally I think ESPN gives a crummy list of choices for the question and I'm pissed that Harrington is even on it. But if he is going to be on it why not David Carr or Phillip Rivers? And how is Harrington a bust and McNown isn't? Is this poll bull?

Who do you think should be on the list?

Comments...

January 27th, 2006, 2:04 am
Profile WWW
A case can be made for Carr, but has Rivers really been given a chance? I'm not so sure I'm ready to add him just yet. I'll admit that I thought he looked terrible in limited duity with the Chargers, and his release looks ugly!...

I really do think Carr has been screwed more than Harrington visa vi the OL... not that Harrington's/our OL has been good, but I really do think Texas' is worse. The votes between Joey and McNown are def. BS, but I think that has more to do with how much time Joey gets starting, and how much press he gets for "being a bust," Media bias.....

One of the biggest busts of all time has to be Andre Ware, but he was obviously before Leaf....

January 27th, 2006, 1:12 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

i think some it depends on what you call a bust. is it simply being a bad player or does it include for how long and how big of an impact that has had on the team? Harrington is clearly not the worst player on that list. Players like Leaf and McNown who flame out quickly impact their team for less time and cause less long term damage. It isnt necessarily Harrington's fault that management decides to give him chance after chance to be at the helm of this team year after year. He has now failed to play well for 4 straight seasons as the starter which is more than the others. 55 starts of misery is a bigger impact than the season and a halfs worth played by leaf and mcnown. For instance wouldnt we hae been better off had Joey suffered a career ending injury or flamed out quickly and we were able to add Byron Leftwich or Ben Roethlisberger in one of the following drafts? Admitting he is a failure and moving on lessens the impact of drafting a bust. Couch was a decent player at times, who showed more glimpses than Joey but Culpepper and McNabb were drafted after him. Carr has better physical skills poise and toughness although his production is like Joey's, unlike Joey it seems clear that Carr is a good player surrounded by a bad team while Joey is just another bad player who looks worse on a bad team. nothing can really be said about rivers as he is sitting behind a good qb.

I would say that Leaf is the biggest bust, then McNown, then akili smith and then harrington and couch about even. rivers indeterminate and carr not a true bust. i think kyle boller should be on that list.

January 28th, 2006, 11:55 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Smith is the biggest bust b/c he never really played or did anything. At least Couch and Joey had career and played in for 4 seasons.

January 29th, 2006, 4:25 pm
Junior Varsity

Coach was suppose to be the franchise, and that has hurt the Brown even to this day.

The verdict is still not in on Joey Harrington. we will see this year hopefully.

January 29th, 2006, 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]