View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently January 19th, 2018, 5:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Super Bowl Officiating 
National Champion

Post Super Bowl Officiating
I just wanted to post to say that the officiating in the Super Bowl was truly horrible.

Granted, the Steelers probably still would've won even if the referees were up to par, but now we'll never know will we?

February 6th, 2006, 1:04 am
3rd Round Selection

Granted, the Steelers probably still would've won even if the referees were up to par

Really? Take away 7 points for the Steelers touchdown where roethlesberger(sp?) clearly wasnt in the endzone and add 7 points for the seahawks touchdown that was robbed on a b/s pass interference call when there was no push off, just minor legal contact and whats the score?

February 6th, 2006, 1:44 am
Bubbles the Lion

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2320708
Quote:
-- Records set or tied in the 2006 Super Bowl:< ^INDIVIDUAL= ^Records Set=

Lowest passer rating, winning QB--Roethlisberger, 22.6. (Old record: 51.9, John Elway, Denver vs. Green Bay, 1998.)

February 6th, 2006, 1:46 am
National Champion

Really? Take away 7 points for the Steelers touchdown where roethlesberger(sp?) clearly wasnt in the endzone and add 7 points for the seahawks touchdown that was robbed on a b/s pass interference call when there was no push off, just minor legal contact and whats the score?

I thought that the offensive pass intereference was shady, but defensible. Also, I think the review call on the Roethlisberger TD was a good one--there was not indisputable visual evidence that the ball did not break the plane. Call on the field stands. The phantom holding on the pass to the Steelers 1, was, of course, inexcusable. Put the Hasselbeck penalty in that category too. Also, the fact that the 50/50 calls went to the Steelers smacks of unfairness.

However, the Seahawks still lost by 11 points. That's a lot to blame on bad officiating, hence my use of the qualifier "probably." It's not like a last second, winning touchdown was called back on review even though there is no way that the footage met the "indisputable visual evidence standard." Oh wait... bad memories rushing back... :crybaby:

February 6th, 2006, 2:02 am
Rob_Shadows wrote:

I thought that the offensive pass intereference was shady, but defensible. Also, I think the review call on the Roethlisberger TD was a good one--there was not indisputable visual evidence that the ball did not break the plane. Call on the field stands. The phantom holding on the pass to the Steelers 1, was, of course, inexcusable. Put the Hasselbeck penalty in that category too. Also, the fact that the 50/50 calls went to the Steelers smacks of unfairness.

However, the Seahawks still lost by 11 points. That's a lot to blame on bad officiating, hence my use of the qualifier "probably." It's not like a last second, winning touchdown was called back on review even though there is no way that the footage met the "indisputable visual evidence standard." Oh wait... bad memories rushing back... :crybaby:

S & C... what'd you think of the Williams "pushoff" call that took a TD away from Seattle? IMO the officiating was decent.. I'd give 'em a C or so if I was grading them. I too think Rothesburger's rushing TD was a TD and called correctly. I know he landed with the ball before the goal-line, but while he was in the air the nose of the the ball appeared to break the plain... that's all that has to happen for it to be a TD.

By the way... my take of the "pushoff" was it was a weak penalty, but a penalty nonetheless. IMO it was stupid of him to do right in front of the official, and he probably would have had the catch had he not pushed off.

February 6th, 2006, 2:43 am
National Champion

S & C... what'd you think of the Williams "pushoff" call that took a TD away from Seattle?

As I said, I thought it was shady but defensible. It's technically a penalty, but it's generally not enforced strictly, especially not in big games (see lack of offensive PI in NE v. Denver game). My beef with the officiating lay primarily in the phantom holding call that practically negated a touchdown, the combined effect of all of the borderline calls going Pittsburgh's way, and the overall lack of penalties called on Pittsburgh (three penalties the whole game). It could be that Pittsburgh just played a "clean" game, but it does make you wonder, doesn't it? It seemed that the "feel good" team of the year gets more than its share of breaks from the officials.

February 6th, 2006, 3:16 am
Div 1 - Starter

Quote:
Granted, the Steelers probably still would've won even if the referees were up to par

Well then, even though I agree that the evidence was not indisputable on the replay enough to overturn the call (and thus, I believe it was correct to let the field-call stand) I must object to this loose characterization of what might have happened if the TD were overturned. That would have brought up 4th and goal from inside the 1. I think Pittsburgh would have just punched it in on 4th (probably Bettis or Roethlisberger), but they would have at least made a chip-shot FG.

Therefore, all else as you have described it, (assuming also the SEA TD not nullified by the weak pass interference), the final would have been 17-17 at the end.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

February 6th, 2006, 8:39 am
RIP Killer

The phantom holding on the pass to the Steelers 1, was, of course, inexcusable. Put the Hasselbeck penalty in that category too. Also, the fact that the 50/50 calls went to the Steelers smacks of unfairness.

The Seahawks had a few third and long conversions that I felt they were robbed of because of calls like this one. I thought the hold on Locklear was complete garbage. Hell, even Madden said it was more than questionable and asked "how is a tackle supposed to block if he can't get a good jam?" The game would have been completely different, even if it was for just that one call IMO.

February 6th, 2006, 9:41 am
Team President - Rod Wood

I was at the game so didnt have much replay luxury so Ive got a couple qs if you guys can help. jacksons td reversal was very weak. On special teams in the first half there were some (i think 2) late flags for holding, one that wasnt thrown until the runner (i believe warrick) was down, were these legit calls? they were big because each one ended up costing seattle 15-20 yards on drives that they ended up stalling at midfield. The Locklear hold on the pass to Stevens down to the 3? legit? i thought the dumbest call of the game was the illegal block 15 yard penalty called on Hasselbeck when he made a great play to tackle Ike Taylor on the INT, who was he blocking again? what was that one? free 15 yards.

February 6th, 2006, 10:48 am
Team President - Rod Wood

BTW 2 of the 3 pittsburgh penalties were false stars on the first possession.

JERRAMY STEVENS made this a painful painful game to watch, way to run your mouth buddy - you actually had a legit shot at player of the game if you dont drop any passes.

February 6th, 2006, 11:17 am
Div 1 - Starter

If Jerramy Stevens caught all those passes, SEA may very well have won the game (they were all critical drops). Hasselbeck would have passed for over 300 yds, and maybe another TD. If Stevens would have walked the walk so-to-speak Hasselbeck would have been the MVP. He can thank Jerramy for robbing him.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

February 6th, 2006, 11:38 am
Site Admin

I think the most profound effect the calls had were momentum. Seattle was easily the better team in the first quarter. Pittsburg took how long before they even got a first down? But after pulling points on the board and some weak calls it starts to impact and I think Seattle started freezing up.

On the other hand the fact that they didn't run Alexander more and Holmgrens bonehead plays at the end of the half didn't help at all. He had 3 easy points but they tried the exact same play that failed before going to Jackson who continually was out of bounds there anyways.

I think more than anything Seattle lost that game...officiating certainly didn't help at all either.

Here is the biggest indictment for both of those teams...I think the Lions could have easily beat both of them last night :lol:

If it weren't for Antwain Rangle Els sweet TD pass and Parkers TD run that game would have been a complete snoozer.
(NOTE TO MILLEN: Drop Eddie Drummond and pick us up Antwane...we could use a backup KR, PR, WR, QB)

February 6th, 2006, 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]