View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 "DEAD END" FOR LABOR TALKS 
Modmin Dude

Post "DEAD END" FOR LABOR TALKS
From ProFootballTalk.com:

Commissioner Paul Tagliabue declared on Monday that talks aimed at extending the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players' union are at a "dead end."

The problem, in a nutshell, is that the union wants to expand the pool of money on which the salary cap is based to include all revenues -- including purely local revenue streams that vary dramatically in some cases.

But if the extra money earned by teams like the Redskins and Cowboys drives up the total salary cap for teams like the Colts and Vikings, these have-less teams will be paying far more in player salary in comparison to their total earnings.

The easy answer to this issue is for the teams to expand revenue sharing. But with a vote of 24 teams required to approve any such moves, it only takes nine teams who want to keep more of what they have in their own pockets to shoot down any such proposals.

Another complication here is the looming uncapped year of 2007, which gives the richer teams greater reason to stonewall, since without a cap the have-mores can buy all of the best players.

It's a challenging issue for the NFL and for Tagliabue -- and the moral of the story here is that the owners should have been giving much stronger consideration over the past couple of decades to the question of whether prospective franchise buyers would be committed to the overall interests of the league (like the Rooneys and the Maras), or committed to their own selfish goals and motivations (like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder).

March 22nd, 2005, 10:11 am
RIP Killer

I think they will work out the cap issue, the NFL is the best run pro league on the planet...

Other major issues that will be discussed in the coming days:

Television contracts
The deals for Sunday and Monday night games have yet to be worked out with ESPN and ABC. There also will be talk of creating Thursday and Saturday night packages. Considering FOX and CBS have already retained the rights to Sunday afternoon games (for $8 billion over six seasons), the prime-time rights are expected to net massive contracts in the near future.

NFL's return to L.A.
There'll be discussions toward getting an NFL team back into Los Angeles. Presentations regarding four possible stadium sites have yet to be finalized, but complete details are expected to be worked out in the coming months.

Future Super Bowl sites
Pitches will be made for Super Bowls in New York and Kansas City, with both sites contingent on new stadiums being erected. The New York proposal would be for 2010, while the Kansas City date would be somewhere between 2012 and 2022.

Personal fouls
The language of personal foul penalties might be expanded to help discourage unnecessary cut blocks and blindside hits. Broadening the scope may not lead to more on-field flags, but it could allow the league to levy more fines for blocks and hits that it determines to be gratuitous.

Instant replay
There'll be talk of fine-tuning instant replay, specifically the elimination of the buzzer coaches use to halt play and issue a challenge. The league would like to simplify the process to red flags only, in an effort to prevent stoppages when coaches inadvertently press their buzzers.

Pass interference
Making pass interference a 15-yard penalty rather than a spot foul ? like the collegiate system ? will be discussed. There will also be talk of changing the illegal contact infraction to a five-yard penalty rather than an automatic first down. Even with consideration, it's not likely either of these changes will become a reality.

March 22nd, 2005, 10:23 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Without the salary cap, the NFL would be no more than baseball with the big spenders (Yankees) being a continually dominant force. It would suck.

Having football on more than Sunday afternoon and Monday night would be awesome. Maybe that's because I would actually like to relax, watch football, and drink some beers on a Saturday night. For me, Sunday is homework day and Monday night I usually can't watch football due to school work. Thus, Thursday and Saturday night football would rule. The bars would be happier if football were on Saturday night as well.

Cali doesn't need another professional sports team. They already have the Niners and the Chargers, not to mention the Giants, Padres, Clippers, Kings, Lakers, Angles, Mighty Ducks, Warriors, Raiders, Dodgers, Sharks, etc. I mean, come on.

The pass interference rule change would be nice.

March 22nd, 2005, 10:45 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I don't like the idea of adding another expansion team. We shouldn't spread the talent too thin.

March 22nd, 2005, 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I don't like the idea of adding another expansion team. We shouldn't spread the talent too thin.

I agree. Screw L.A. :P

March 22nd, 2005, 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

bsand2053 wrote:

I agree. Screw L.A. :P

I think they were talking about moving one of the current teams - Minnesota was one that was brought up.

March 22nd, 2005, 4:54 pm
RIP Killer

Found this as well, another possible rule change. Anyone else hate those stupid timeouts to ice the kicker??

NFL | Rule Change Could Eliminate "Icing the Kicker" - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:15:16 -0800

Nick Schenck, of Chargers.com, reports at the NFL's annual owners meetings currently being held in Maui, representatives from each NFL club will vote on whether or not teams should be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct if they call consecutive timeouts on defense during field goal attempts or any dead-ball situation, commonly referred to as "icing the kicker." For the proposal to pass, 24 of the 32 NFL teams (75 percent) must approve it.

March 23rd, 2005, 8:53 am

I think icing the kicker rarely works. The times when the kicker misses, he probably would have missed anyway.

About the pass interference penalty- I don't like the Ty Law rule of last year. It was a balatant attempt by the NFL to hype up the offense for all people whose attention span is too slow to follow a game with less than 50 combined score. I like the proposed 15yd penalty, now there isn't going to be those pass int. calls at the goal line at amount to 30 yd penatlies.

March 23rd, 2005, 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

Cali doesn't need another professional sports team. They already have the Niners and the Chargers, not to mention the Giants, Padres, Clippers, Kings, Lakers, Angles, Mighty Ducks, Warriors, Raiders, Dodgers, Sharks, etc. I mean, come on.

What do you mean come on? If you take the size of Cali and move it to the same position on the east coast here are the names of the teams that would be in that state.
In Baseball- Orioles, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Nationals.
Football- Patriots, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Ravens, Panthers.
Basketball-Celtics, Nets, Knicks, 76ers, Bobcats, Wizards.
Hockey-Devils, Islanders, Rangers, Flyers, Bruins, Hurricanes, Capitals.

You have listed 11 teams in Cali. with a etc.. there are 15. Now if you count the east coast teams within the same size of Cali. you have 26. That is from New York Island to South Carolina.
One more team in Cali is no big deal, especially since L.A. is like the 3rd biggest tv market in the country. It would be good for the NFL to get a team there. The only problem with that is, the people of L.A. could care less.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:19 am
Modmin Dude

The only problem with that is, the people of L.A. could care less.

that and Cali sux

Last edited by TheRealWags on March 23rd, 2005, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:30 am
RIP Killer

I know and I am aware of that. However, you can't make the comparison of California to the east coast. You're comparing one state to four with NY included, it's just not the same.

There are other large cities out there who would love to have an NFL team and don't. But to take a team from a state that only has 1 NFL team and move it to a state that already has 3, would be dumb and that's my opinion. Move it to Portland for example, spread teams out to places there aren't NFL teams.

Plus, LA has had two NFL teams in the past and both have done financially horrible. The Chargers did horrible back in the 60s and moved to SD. The Rams moved to St. Louis. It doesn't make sense to give them another team that will go down the poop or end up moving.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:54 am

If I had my way, I would contract the Jags, Texans, Cinci, and Carolina. Thats just me. :D

March 23rd, 2005, 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Red Shirt Freshman

Like you said, spread it out a little. One year in Portland, then the next in Las Vegas, then maybe L.A., then Mexico City (lol). Maybe Santa Fe, then San Antonio, then Oklahoma City, then Little Rock, Baton Rouge, Topeka, Memphis, it could be a cool tour.

Imagine if one of those cities won the super bowl before Detroit, (oh odds are it will happen). That city could brag about it for a long time!
woo hoo :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :idea: :idea: :idea:

March 23rd, 2005, 2:30 pm
Modmin Dude

Imagine if one of those cities won the super bowl before Detroit, (oh odds are it will happen). That city could brag about it for a long time!
woo hoo :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Not going to happen, mark my words
Detroit Lions 2006 Super Bowl XL Champs 8)

March 23rd, 2005, 2:41 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflmeetings-rules&prov=ap&type=lgns

Well, there isn't any major changes. I would have liked to have seen the proposed change on pass interference get passed.

March 23rd, 2005, 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next