HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

I need help with this trade option!
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11329
Page 1 of 2

Author:  kdsberman [ August 21st, 2008, 1:04 pm ]
Post subject:  I need help with this trade option!

Ok guys, I got a situation here. I've been offered a trade that I've been learning towards declining, but now im not so sure. First off, I play on ESPN where you use 2 rb's, 2 wr's, and 1 wr/rb. The guy wants to give me Steven Jackson and Bernard Berrian if I give him Tony Romo and Torry Holt. Here is my starting lineup as of now:

QB: Tony Romo
RB: Brian Westbrook
RB: Darren McFadden
WR/RB: Dwayne Bowe
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
WR: Torry Holt
TE: Chris Cooley
D: Vikings
K: Matt Stover

Now, IF I took that trade, my lineup would look like this:

QB: Jon Kitna
RB: Brian Westbrook
RB: Steven Jackson
WR/RB: Darren McFadden
WR: Dwayne Bowe
WR: Larry Fitzgerald
TE: Chris Cooley
D: Vikings
K: Matt Stover


What would you do??? Kitna has been looking almost flawless. Obviously, Romo is great, but Im just thinking of the points Westbrook and Jackson together could give me. Please help me.

Author:  TheRealWags [ August 21st, 2008, 1:14 pm ]
Post subject: 

Personally, I would reject it, you can never count on a Lions QB week in and week out (or pretty much any Lions players for that matter) JMHO

Author:  steensn [ August 21st, 2008, 4:23 pm ]
Post subject: 

Just an FYI, if you are doing a week 15/16 playoff Romo and Holt have much better matchups than Jackson and Berrian. I wouldn't take the deal using the system I always run and win with. If you are itchin to win the big one I wouldn't trade.

Author:  bigscottyz [ August 22nd, 2008, 3:35 am ]
Post subject: 

So you lose Holt for Steven Jackson in your starting lineup? And you go from Romo to Kitna with the best WRs in the NFL, and a new RB/FB/TE/RT to help him over last year?

This is a no-brainer, take it, it's a landslide. Anybody that tells you differently is a fantasy fool.

Author:  kdsberman [ August 22nd, 2008, 9:16 am ]
Post subject: 

Well, its kinda changed now. I wasnt real big on losing Romo, so I changed it up a little. Now the offer would be: I give him Holt, Fitzgeraldm, and either McFadden or Jamal Lewis, and he would give me Steven Jackson and Steve Smith. Would you offer this trade if u were me? And if you did, would you throw in Jamal Lewis and keep McFadden or throw in McFadden and keep Jamal Lewis? It seems like im giving up too much, but its gonna take Fitzgerald or Romo to pull Jackson away from him, and Id rather let go of Fitz. What do you think?


Oh by the way, I made a trade last night to acquire Jamal Lewis, in case your wondering where he came from.

Author:  steensn [ August 22nd, 2008, 10:09 am ]
Post subject: 

Call me a fool bigscott but it wont help you at all in the championship game. Jacksonville and St. Louis has aweful matchups for WR and RB respectably in weeks 15 and 16.

kdsberman, if you want to win the regular season go ahead, I would do it too. But if you want to look at championship matchups you are going to undefeated then get beat with a guy who just has better matchups those two weeks.

Call me crazy but I got, in my fantasy leagues:

2007: 1st
2006: 1st
2005: 1st, 2nd
2004: 2nd, 2nd

With this system. my regular system only netted me second and third places, but I never came close to losing any playoff game.

Author:  kdsberman [ August 22nd, 2008, 12:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

I understand what you're sayin Steen, but how can I guarantee I'll make the playoffs in the first place?

Author:  steensn [ August 22nd, 2008, 1:22 pm ]
Post subject: 

kdsberman wrote:
I understand what you're sayin Steen, but how can I guarantee I'll make the playoffs in the first place?


I always assume I will make the playoffs because I still field a decent team. You are not going to win the regular season with my style of FF play, but you will make the playoffs.

Author:  slybri19 [ August 22nd, 2008, 2:16 pm ]
Post subject: 

kdsberman, I would say no to both deals personally. Jackson has been a holdout, so who knows how long it's going to take him to get into game shape? Also, it will make him more prone to injury until that happens. It's just a slight risk, but it's a risk nonetheless. As for Steve Smith, you do know that he's suspended for the first two games, don't you? I wouldn't touch that trade.

steensn, I understand your system and I'm hoping that you use it in the Yahoo league this year. You've used it in the past playing against your family, but not against players like me. With only 4 out of 12 teams making the playoffs in a very competitive league, you could find yourself out in the cold. :lol:

Author:  steensn [ August 22nd, 2008, 3:10 pm ]
Post subject: 

slybri19 wrote:
kdsberman, I would say no to both deals personally. Jackson has been a holdout, so who knows how long it's going to take him to get into game shape? Also, it will make him more prone to injury until that happens. It's just a slight risk, but it's a risk nonetheless. As for Steve Smith, you do know that he's suspended for the first two games, don't you? I wouldn't touch that trade.

steensn, I understand your system and I'm hoping that you use it in the Yahoo league this year. You've used it in the past playing against your family, but not against players like me. With only 4 out of 12 teams making the playoffs in a very competitive league, you could find yourself out in the cold. :lol:


sly, you are assuming I will not have good enough players to get into the playoffs. I still pick up "better" players. I'm not going to draft Kitna over Westbrooke just because I think Kitna might have a better two games at the end of the year. I only use it to help filter out the top guys when I draft and pick up players and make trades.

Author:  slybri19 [ August 22nd, 2008, 5:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

To be honest, the weather does me in moreso than the matchups in the playoffs. Unfortunately, nobody right now can predict what it's going to be like during weeks 15 (six cold weather games) and 16 (seven cold weather games). To shun those players now because of a possible snowstorm would eliminate close to 40% of the players, so it's not worth it to me. As for the matchups, that can even change between now and the end of the season. Ocho Stinko and TJ Whosyourmama may look great going against the Browns' secondary in week 16 at the moment, but they could end up being better than expected. You just never know.

Author:  steensn [ August 22nd, 2008, 9:24 pm ]
Post subject: 

slybri19 wrote:
To be honest, the weather does me in moreso than the matchups in the playoffs. Unfortunately, nobody right now can predict what it's going to be like during weeks 15 (six cold weather games) and 16 (seven cold weather games). To shun those players now because of a possible snowstorm would eliminate close to 40% of the players, so it's not worth it to me. As for the matchups, that can even change between now and the end of the season. Ocho Stinko and TJ Whosyourmama may look great going against the Browns' secondary in week 16 at the moment, but they could end up being better than expected. You just never know.


Heck, then why not just draft randomly? ;) ya never know right?

Author:  TNLionsFanatic [ August 22nd, 2008, 10:01 pm ]
Post subject: 

steensn wrote:
slybri19 wrote:
To be honest, the weather does me in moreso than the matchups in the playoffs. Unfortunately, nobody right now can predict what it's going to be like during weeks 15 (six cold weather games) and 16 (seven cold weather games). To shun those players now because of a possible snowstorm would eliminate close to 40% of the players, so it's not worth it to me. As for the matchups, that can even change between now and the end of the season. Ocho Stinko and TJ Whosyourmama may look great going against the Browns' secondary in week 16 at the moment, but they could end up being better than expected. You just never know.


Heck, then why not just draft randomly? ;) ya never know right?


Both of you suckers are going down anyways! Long live Skunked!

Author:  slybri19 [ August 23rd, 2008, 12:05 am ]
Post subject: 

No offense steensn, but I just find it hilarious that anybody would be drafting based upon the playoff matchups before they even reached said playoffs. Ya gotta get there first, then worry about the other stuff later. Which brings me to not drafting players that might not play in week 16 since their team has already locked up home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Using that criteria, I'd pass on Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, which wouldn't be very smart IMO. I just take the best players available (the way I see it) when it's my time to pick.

Author:  steensn [ August 23rd, 2008, 7:33 am ]
Post subject: 

Sly, no offense, but you have to have a draft strategy. As long as you are still drafting top notch talent, why not at least filter through the tough picks by picking ones that might have a better matchup in the playoffs? Who knows whether Reggie Wayne or Terrel Ownes is going to havea better year, but I do know that Reggie Wayne has better matchups. If I have to choose between those two players how do you make an honest judgement call between two pretty identical players? I can;t find a more logical way.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/