View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 2:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Question on running a large league 
Team MVP

Post Question on running a large league
Hey guys, just wondering if you can help me out here.

This will be the third year I've ran a FF league at my work, and im expecting a large number of players this year. The past 2 years have had 14, and the big complaint is that in the end, there arent many free agents when they need them. I understand that I could eliminate a bench spot or two, but im thinking i might get around 18 guys this year. Any suggestions on how to work this without having guys like Brandon Stokely as a starting WR?

I was kind of thinking of doing 2 leagues, with the two super bowl winners, and whoever scored more points between the two would win the main pot. Both leagues being exact same on rules. Thats one idea.

I run it with ESPN and would prefer not to change.

Also, is it possible to be a commissioner of a league without being an owner in that specific league?

Thanks guys!

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

May 28th, 2012, 9:55 pm
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Question on running a large league
I was once in a 20 man league. Basically 2 10 man leagues with two divisions in each, it was a 17 week regular season followed with the 4 division winners and two wild cards (one from each conference, you could do two wild cards from each conference just as easy). The playoffs would be the actual playoffs, you would rank teams based on division winners, records, head to head, then points. You would redraft for the playoffs and the #1 seed would pick first in each round as an insensitive to winner the regular season. If interested I may be able to get a little more information on it. I ended up leaving the league when it went up to 30 teams.

May 29th, 2012, 9:54 am
Team MVP

aManNamedSuh wrote:
I was once in a 20 man league. Basically 2 10 man leagues with two divisions in each, it was a 17 week regular season followed with the 4 division winners and two wild cards (one from each conference, you could do two wild cards from each conference just as easy). The playoffs would be the actual playoffs, you would rank teams based on division winners, records, head to head, then points. You would redraft for the playoffs and the #1 seed would pick first in each round as an insensitive to winner the regular season. If interested I may be able to get a little more information on it. I ended up leaving the league when it went up to 30 teams.

The thing is we HAVE to do it online, and that almost sounds like one you'd have to do in person? maybe im wrong?

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

May 29th, 2012, 1:25 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

kdsberman wrote:
aManNamedSuh wrote:

The thing is we HAVE to do it online, and that almost sounds like one you'd have to do in person? maybe im wrong?

I've played in leagues that are too large. I dont find them entertaining. at work I run 2 smaller ones (call em a-league abd b-league). the winner of the B league can opt to move up to the a- league and force the worst record team in the A league down to the B. there is only one true champ and thats in the A division. the winner of the B gets braggings rights and can move up to the "pros". the b is for casual players and such. the A league is for avid players. there are NO quitters. everyone manages their roster every week, or they get bumped down the next season. so far it's worked very well.

May 30th, 2012, 11:39 am
League MVP

I had a 20 team league at one time.
QB - Obviously can only play one QB at a time. We set a basic rule that you could not carry multiple quarterbacks unless one QB was on a bye, injured or the two QBs were on the same team. Sometimes difficult to enforce but have to deliver the message that teams cannot stockpile QBs so that opponent has no available starting QB. Same rules for kickers and defenses.

With the rest of the roster spots - we did 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 3 flex RB/WR/TE. Used points per reception scoring. 5 bench spots.

June 9th, 2012, 8:29 am
Team MVP

I think i decided what im going to do is run TWO 10-man leagues, same rules, same playoff format, same everything. Then there will obviously be 2 super bowl winners, whoever has the most points in their SB win, wins the big pot. So in other words, the 2 SB winners will be 1st and 2nd place, 1st place being the one with more in points in their SB win. I think this will work just fine. I just have to find someone to commission the other league.

June 9th, 2012, 11:31 am

kdsberman wrote:
I think i decided what im going to do is run TWO 10-man leagues, same rules, same playoff format, same everything. Then there will obviously be 2 super bowl winners, whoever has the most points in their SB win, wins the big pot. So in other words, the 2 SB winners will be 1st and 2nd place, 1st place being the one with more in points in their SB win. I think this will work just fine. I just have to find someone to commission the other league.

combining the 2 SB winners and making one champ could be an issue
if one league is full of great players and the other is full of "sometimers". the weaker league will be able to accrue better players for the few that are gung ho. this could cause some grumblings....just a heads up.

June 9th, 2012, 12:51 pm
Team MVP

regularjoe12 wrote:
kdsberman wrote:

combining the 2 SB winners and making one champ could be an issue
if one league is full of great players and the other is full of "sometimers". the weaker league will be able to accrue better players for the few that are gung ho. this could cause some grumblings....just a heads up.

You mean better NFL players, or better owners?

June 9th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Better owners. If one league has say 8 good owners that are active in free agency it would be harder to find good guys mid season than a league that only had like 3. The league with three good owners is going to have much more available in free agency and be able to stack their teams more and giving them an advantage in the overall points difference in the SB.

It may not be an issue with your guys but that's why I divy up my 2 leagues between more casual owners and the more "hard core" owners. This also keeps the playing field even. If someone skips their line up change in the b league it's no big deal. Those are more casual owners. But in my A league if someone skips it more than once the following season they get bumped down and the top remaining team in the B league moves up. We have 2 champions each year, but only one trophy. That's for the A league champion. (and yes we do have a trophy...it's a gold painted toilet brush and holder... we call the championship the toilet bowl lol)

June 9th, 2012, 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]