View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 31st, 2014, 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Minicamp Tour: NFC East and North 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Minicamp Tour: NFC East and North
Offseason Low Down Minicamp Tour: NFC East and North
By Gregg Rosenthal

Quote:

It?s easy (and accurate) to call the Lions mismanaged and mediocre. At least they are never boring. Adding offensive coordinator Mike Martz and fiery head coach Rod Marinelli should make Detroit the most famous non-Favre team that won?t win eight games. Charles Rogers has made noise all off-season by crawling in and out of Marinelli?s dog house. He?s supposedly out now. One laughable puff piece noted that Rogers is so committed that he bought a treadmill to work out at home. Wow, a multimillionaire spent $500 for equipment my Mom uses to work out. He must really care!

I don?t see how Rogers has a future with the team when the Lions are suing him for part of his signing bonus. My money is still on Rogers getting cut during camp. Rogers? workout habits were only one item I found examining minicamp season in the NFC North and NFC East. Last week, I looked at the AFC: East and North and South and West.

Detroit Lions:

The competition at wide receiver has already taken a few surprising turns. Journeyman wideout Corey Bradford is reportedly a heavy favorite to start opposite Roy Williams. Perhaps this is Mike Martz?s way of motivating his young players, but Bradford is back on the fantasy radar. There are worse WR5/6 picks in deep leagues if he keeps the spot. ? If Mike Williams was a few years older, he might be getting cut, not Charles Rogers. Williams has been disciplined for being late to team meetings again this off-season and still doesn?t ?get it.? He?s an awkward fit for a Mike Martz offense, although Martz has publicly praised him (like everyone else but Rogers). The Lions simply can?t eat a $10 million cap hit, though, to ditch a 22-year old. There is time to coach Williams up, but there is no need to draft him in fantasy leagues until we hear positive news. ? If the season started today, Mike Furrey, who was playing safety last season in St. Louis, would reportedly be the team?s third wideout. The season starts in September thankfully.

Jon Kitna has reportedly opened up a big lead in the battle to be the team?s starting quarterback. Dan Orlovsky may be passing Josh McCown to be the backup. ? The running back depth chart is odd after Kevin Jones. Arlen Harris is reportedly second, ahead of mainstays Shawn Bryson and Artose Pinner. I try not to get carried away with minicamp depth charts, if they even exist. Look for Bryson and rookie Brian Calhoun to have roles behind Kevin Jones once the season starts. For now, Jones owners may want to wait to handcuff him. Martz wants Jones to play on third downs and near the goal line, which could make him a great RB2.

Rising: Kitna ? Martz?s ultimate test.
Falling: Williams ? Slow in every respect.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story. ... Friendly=Y

June 28th, 2006, 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]