View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 21st, 2014, 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 ESPN Keeper League- Graphic violence League. 
Color Commentator - John Madden

Also is there a spot on the leagues home page to get a point breakdown?

Nevermind that question I found my answer. I should of looked at the help/rules portion of the homepage before asking.

July 25th, 2006, 10:19 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
I have elliminated the Utility Offense and defense players and made a few other changes. They are edited below.

BillySims wrote:
Here is how I have the starting positions set up. The first number is the # of starters at the position. The second number is the maximum # of players at the position alowed for your roster.

1 Head Coach 2 max/team
1 QB 3 max
1 RB 3 max
3 RB/WR no max
2 WR 6 max - down from 9max.
3 WR/TE no max
1 TE 3 max
UOP ----- Elliminated
2 DT 3 max
2 DE 3 max
2 LB 3 max
2 CB 3 max
2 S 3 max
UDP ------ Elliminated
1 TD/ST 2 max - down from 2 starting units.
2 PK 2 max - down from 3 max.
2 Punter 2 max - up from 1 starter and 1 max.
5 bench no max
4 IR

PK's and punters are a dime a dozen so I added a Starting Punter. There are plenty of them so each team should be able to get 2 decent to good Punters. As for BYE weeks, You will have to drop a PK/Punter and pick up another for your bye weeks. I just didn't want anyone to hoard a good PK/P so they can use them for only 2 weeks for the entire season. After all, with each team having 2 each, that's 28. Only 4 of each would remain in the FA market and with so many players to cover for on BYE weeks, you would be wise to just go without a PK/P for a week and concentrate on other areas because if you drop one, another team may grab him. I think it adds an elliment of realism into the league. Having to make tough decisions.

I am also considering elliminating 2 bench players and leaving each team with 3. But, I haven't decided that yet. it's just that the draft is going to be 30 rounds + 14 picks/round = A VERY LONG DRAFT. This move would drop 2 rounds and further increase the FA talent pool as well as force some more tough decisions. :cheers:

I'd be okay with that 30 rounds is extremely long.
I also have another question on the roster. Each team owner gets 3 RB/WR no max and 3 WR/TE no max how is that any different than your your normal RB, WR, and TE positions with limited roster spots? Also is there a spot on the leagues home page to get a point breakdown?

I didn't put any max on the WR/RB and the WR/TE because the max restrictions are already put in place for each position seperately.

Point breakdowns are located as follows:
On the league hompage in the green toolbar at the top of the page, there is a League Info button. Click it. When the next page comes up, scroll down to scoring. It is all there.

You just made me think of a way that I can elliminate 6 more rounds off the draft. I can elliminate all the WR/RB and all the WR/TE positions. Which would drop us to 22 rounds, if we also elliminate 2 bench players, and further increase the FA talent pool by 112 players. With the ellimination of the utility players we have already increased the FA talent pool by 56 players. Put together we will have added 168 players to the FA talent pool, shortened the draft from 32 rounds to 22 rounds, and forced some tough decisions on BYE weeks.

July 25th, 2006, 10:28 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

You just made me think of a way that I can elliminate 6 more rounds off the draft. I can elliminate all the WR/RB and all the WR/TE positions. Which would drop us to 22 rounds, if we also elliminate 2 bench players, and further increase the FA talent pool by 112 players. With the ellimination of the utility players we have already increased the FA talent pool by 56 players. Put together we will have added 168 players to the FA talent pool, shortened the draft from 32 rounds to 22 rounds, and forced some tough decisions on BYE weeks.

I like the idea of getting rid of the WR/TE and WR/RB positions but to do that and eliminate more bench spots I don't like. If we keep the bench at 5 players at least have the ability to rotate players instead of taking the chance of losing one b/c of bye weeks or other player mishalves while still having a strong FA talent pool and shortening the draft.

July 25th, 2006, 11:00 pm
Hall of Fame Player

The league is now full since Pablo finally got his computer fixed. LOL.

I have removed the WR/RB and the WR/TE positions. This reduces our roster ( and thus, the draft ) to 30 players/rounds.

I have also toggled the draft pick trading switch. You may now start proposing draft pick trades.

PLEASE VOTE ON THE LEAGUE POLL :!:

It is very important that every team owner votes for their choice on the number of players we will keep each season.

August 1st, 2006, 10:05 am
Mr. Irrelevant

Ok a few things I am not sure I like and I think we should discuss:

1.) Why are we only starting 1 RB but 2 K's and P's?
----I think I understand what you were trying to do but IMO it would be better to start 1 and only be able to draft 1... If you want to drop him for your bye week then so be it...2 RBs just makes things more interesting to me... Like this it makes it much easier for the people with higher picks to ride their RB because they do earn more Fantasy Points than any other position...

2.) I really don't like that every team is making the playoffs.
----It makes everything before the playoffs meaningless... If we took 4 teams from each division it would still be more than half the league in the playoffs and we would have something to play for during the "regular season"

Discuss... :wink:

August 1st, 2006, 9:58 pm
Hall of Fame Player

----I think I understand what you were trying to do but IMO it would be better to start 1 and only be able to draft 1... If you want to drop him for your bye week then so be it...2 RBs just makes things more interesting to me... Like this it makes it much easier for the people with higher picks to ride their RB because they do earn more Fantasy Points than any other position...

----It makes everything before the playoffs meaningless... If we took 4 teams from each division it would still be more than half the league in the playoffs and we would have something to play for during the "regular season"

I started only 1 RB because there is a vast chasm between the best RB and the 28th best RB. With Kickers and Punters, there is very little difference between #1 and #28.

I am on record as disliking the fact that everyone will make the playoffs. But, with 14 teams, I couldn't have 4 even divisions and the playoff layouts would not work any other way.

edited to add:

I threw you a bone though.

I added 1 offensive utility player
dropped down to 1 starter at Kicker and 1 starter at Punter
and removed 1 bench player. ( Hey, I want teams to have to make some tough decisions just like an NFL GM and HC.)

This brings us to a 28 man roster.

And since I am not a fan of every team making the playoffs, I changed that too.

I wanted a 13 week regular season so each team would play all the other teams once before the playoffs. the only way to do that would be to have every team make the playoffs. <--- the way I had it set up.

I have switched it to a 14 week regular season with 8 teams making the playoffs. <--- I don't really like this setup because each team will play all the other teams once and 1 opponent twice before the playoffs. This sets up the possibility that someone could play a team in week 1 and again in week 14 and then be seeded against the same team in week 1 of the playoffs. Leaving that team playing the same opponent 3 times before he ever plays any other opponent for the 2nd time.

August 1st, 2006, 10:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Kmarts blue light went out, so, I had to toggle off the draft pick trading until I can get him a new blue light. :lol:

edited to add:

LOGGING IN :!:

If, when you login, you click on the remember my username and password button, the ESPN site will load your login info for you when you enter the login page. Just be patient and it will fill out your login for you so that all you will have to do is click the submit button.

August 3rd, 2006, 9:04 am
Red Shirt Freshman

Looks like I won't be able to make the draft. I'll have to do a pre-draft order. I hate doing that. Oh well.

I won't have an internet connection then.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

August 3rd, 2006, 1:03 pm
Mr. Irrelevant

Murtyle wrote:

I started only 1 RB because there is a vast chasm between the best RB and the 28th best RB. With Kickers and Punters, there is very little difference between #1 and #28.

I am on record as disliking the fact that everyone will make the playoffs. But, with 14 teams, I couldn't have 4 even divisions and the playoff layouts would not work any other way.

edited to add:

and removed 1 bench player. ( Hey, I want teams to have to make some tough decisions just like an NFL GM and HC.)

I wanted a 13 week regular season so each team would play all the other teams once before the playoffs. the only way to do that would be to have every team make the playoffs. <--- the way I had it set up.

I have switched it to a 14 week regular season with 8 teams making the playoffs. <--- I don't really like this setup because each team will play all the other teams once and 1 opponent twice before the playoffs. This sets up the possibility that someone could play a team in week 1 and again in week 14 and then be seeded against the same team in week 1 of the playoffs. Leaving that team playing the same opponent 3 times before he ever plays any other opponent for the 2nd time.

Sounds good....

IMO the difference between the #1 RB and the #12 RB is big as well. At least with the way the draft works #12 and #13 RB can come close #1 and #28 RB....

Is there a way to play everyone in your division once and one team out of your division? Or some kind of combination like that... It would help out with the scheduling

August 3rd, 2006, 5:18 pm
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
Murtyle wrote:

edited to add:

Sounds good....

IMO the difference between the #1 RB and the #12 RB is big as well. At least with the way the draft works #12 and #13 RB can come close #1 and #28 RB....

Is there a way to play everyone in your division once and one team out of your division? Or some kind of combination like that... It would help out with the scheduling

There is. But, I am too lazy to work up a feasable schedule and then edit the whole schedule manually.

But, I am trying to contact ESPN with an idea about a playoff scenario improvement for the future.

I can get the 13 week regular season no problem. This would set up every team playing all the other teams once each before the playoofs start. I love that. My problem is:
Playoff scenarios:
4 weeks for the playoffs: I LOVE THIS.

What I hate is, EVERYONE makes the playoffs. Or 10 teams make the playoffs leaving all playoff teams idle except 4 in week 1 of the playoffs. Or 9 teams make the playoffs leaving all but 2 teams idle in week 1 of the playoffs. I don't even have the option of setting it to 8 teams making the playoffs in the 4 week scenario.

But, there is a solution that I am considering:

Regular Season 13 weeks/Playoffs 4 weeks
2 weeks/playoff round
4 teams make the playoffs.

that would make very tough to make the playoffs and the teams that make it definately deserve to be there. But, this scenario leaves the possibility that 1 or 2 teams with identicle records as 1 of the playoff teams out in the cold. That just wouldn't be right.

The idea that I am trying to get into the propper hands at ESPN is this:
Add some software that would allow me to set the first 2 rounds of the playoffs to last 1 week each and make the championship round last 2 weeks. This would enable 8 teams to make the playoffs. It would be the perfect fix for a 14 team league.

We could add 2 more teams and the playoff options would be far better and we could have 4 evenly weighted divisions. But, at 14 teams with 28 roster spots, we will be drafting 392 players/coaches as it is. Adding two more teams bumps that up to 448. That will leave precious little in the FA pool. And, I don't want to reduce the rosters any further than I have. Also, the draft would be even longer to accomplish with 2 more teams.

I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place right now. But, what can I do but just move on and pound the rock?

August 3rd, 2006, 10:46 pm
Varsity 1st Team

Post The blue light is ON!!
The M.S.E. Inmates are ready.

There is a Blue Light Special on the #11 spot!!

I'm not worried about the positions or schedule. I'll adapt as the season progresses and end up at the top. Even if I'm confused on the the positions, the scoring for the odd positions and when-the-heck to draft them :? . I'll just pick-up a bunch of RB's and trade them. :)

K-Mart,
Martha Stewart Everyday Inmates

August 4th, 2006, 8:06 am
Hall of Fame Player

With Kmart back in the fold, I have switched the draft pick trading back on. Hopefully, we can leave it on this time. :lol:

Are there any other issues out there so we can hammer them out before the draft?

August 4th, 2006, 10:19 am
Pop Warner Vet

We are presently recruiting owners for 2 available spots in the Graphic Violence League. Let me or Billy know if you are interested and we will send the invites out.

August 4th, 2006, 1:45 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

I have a question. Since I might not be able to make the live draft. I'll be setting up my rankings. the question is, since I'm picking 6th and then 22nd, 32nd, ....

can I set my draft to select 2 RB first and then a WR? Meaning if I set my predraft to the best 28 RB's then the best WR's but at pick 32 there is still a RB that wasn't picked that I preset in my top 28, can I make sure that a RB isn't picked again for my 3rd pick? Or will it just grab the highest rated player that I have listed no matter what position.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

August 5th, 2006, 9:13 am
Hall of Fame Player

Rhys or Billy.

I have a question. Since I might not be able to make the live draft. I'll be setting up my rankings. the question is, since I'm picking 6th and then 22nd, 32nd, ....

can I set my draft to select 2 RB first and then a WR? Meaning if I set my predraft to the best 28 RB's then the best WR's but at pick 32 there is still a RB that wasn't picked that I preset in my top 28, can I make sure that a RB isn't picked again for my 3rd pick? Or will it just grab the highest rated player that I have listed no matter what position.

It will pick the highest rated player you have set no matter what.

August 5th, 2006, 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next