View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Sheff gets the boot 
NFL Team Captain

Post Sheff gets the boot
What should have happen awhile ago finally happen today. DH or should I say wothless DH Gary Sheffield was waived today, one day after telling a Boston reporter that he did not want to be a DH and couldn't be the leader that he is from the bench. All this behind Jim Leyland's back.

I've always hated him and was bummed by the trade that brought him here.

Matt Millen should pay attention.......See what happens to big mouth prima donas. Put up, shut up, or hit the road :idea: :idea: :idea:

August 12th, 2008, 5:18 pm

August 12th, 2008, 8:40 pm
Walk On

About time I guess. Always defended him to my friends. I guess I just remember him when he was at his best with the Padre's and Marlin's. That was when his batting stance was even crazier than it is today.

How many shoulder surgerys does it take for a loud mouth, over the hill ball player to take a hint and move on?

O best wishes sheffy :?

August 13th, 2008, 12:44 am
NFL Team Captain

I was just looking at DetroitTigers.com and it appears that Sheffield has not been released.
He hit 2 homers in last night's game. I'm told they were talking about the subject during the live broadcast. I'll have to check it out somemore before I open my yap again.

Still hope it is true. One 2 homer game is not going to change my opinion of the man.

August 13th, 2008, 8:20 am
From what I understand he has DEFINITELY not been released (which would be dumb on our part... we'd still owe him his due if that were the case), but he HAS been placed on waivers. Being placed on waivers means a team can pick him up off of the waiver wire if they wish, and take on the terms of his deal. That said, even if a team does that, it's not a done deal... We can still claim him back if we want to.

This might have been done to either 1) free up money for next year's off-season, or 2) to light a fire under him.

August 13th, 2008, 11:36 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Waivers in baseball is completely different than waivers in football. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if close to half of the Tiger roster has been placed on waivers. You guys notice how players get traded after the trade deadline? That's because a player is able to be traded later in the season if he has cleared waivers. That's probably what they're attempting to do with Sheffield, but I doubt there will be any takers. If there are, the Tigers will probably have to pay atleast half of Sheffield's $14M salary next season.

August 13th, 2008, 12:02 pm
Hall of Fame Player

1. Trade waivers- Used to float players out there after the trade deadline to gauge the interest of other teams in a particular player. If a team claims the player, Both teams will have about 24 hours to broker a trade. If no deal is reached, the team retains possession of the player.

This is the type of waivers that Sheffield is on.

2. Waiver to grant unconditional release.

Self explanatory. This is the type of waivers that Jaque Jones received early this year and Damian Easely "Out" received a few years ago.

August 13th, 2008, 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]