View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 10:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Needs for the offseason 
RIP Killer

Post Needs for the offseason
Pitching -
Is anyone else worried about the pitching for next year?

Bondo
Verlander
Galarraga
Robertson
Willis? Miner? Lambert? Bonine?

Miner's the best chance for average success.

Who's the closer? I think Rodney sucks. Zoom? He's a better setup guy vs closer.

We've got decent pen, but unfortunately Chuck Hernandez signed with the Tribe, so that hurts. I think Chuck was the biggest part of the 06 WS run. Our pitching has went downhill quick.

DH -
Thames is the likely candidate, as he'll probably get waxed from playing LF now, in place of someone like Brent Clevlen or Matt Joyce.

Shortshop -
Up in the air. I would like Jack Wilson, as he's the best defensively out there, for a short couple years as a stop gap, until we can bring up a stud from the farm. Hopefully someone signs Renteria so we can get two draft picks for him. He's not worth it, but hopefully the Giants are desperate.

Catcher -
Are we seriously going with Inge again? I like Inge, but his hitting is pathetic and he's only average behind the plate. We need a catcher.

Needs:
SS, C, closer...and maybe a starting pitcher.

We're going to be F'd again if Willis lays the turd yet again and someone gets hurt (like Bondo did last year).

November 29th, 2008, 6:24 pm
Afghan Allstar

I think if our starters can stay healthy, and as we found out last year that's a big if, they will be alright.

Verlander is just a beast. He had a down year last year, but nobody puts up career numbers every year.

Bondo has always been just a step away from being an Ace. He's had injury problems the past few years, but before that he was always solid.

Galarraga took the league by storm last year. Hopefully he can continue the level of execution that he had last year.

Robertson has always been an innings eater at the back end of the rotation.

If Willis can return to the form that he had in Florida, I'd be quite pleased with that.

Bullpen-
The big question mark is Rodney at closer. He performed admirably filling in for Jones to start the 06 season, but that was 3 years and a lot of injuries ago. I like him better in a set-up role. He also needs to go back to that nasty change up of his.

Zumaya, if he can come back from his injury, would be great to have next to Rodney in the set-up role.

I truly think that the best way to help the bullpen is to get more innings from our starters this season. There were too many early exits from our starters last season.

DH-
I'm assuming that Sheffield will be back to at least get to 500. But, I think Thames would be the best option at DH. Guillen is going to get his shot in left and will be spared by one of the young guys.

Shortstop-
As long as they can play defense, I don't care who they sign. They're pretty much just a stop-gap until we can bring someone up from the farm.

Catcher-
I really liked what I saw form Dusty Ryan at the end of last season. He has a cannon for an arm to throw guys out and with some work his ball stopping and game calling will get better. I believe he will get the bulk of the work in Spring Training. If he comes along as well as I hope we just need a veteran to mentor him.

Needs-
I have to agree. SS, C and Closer are our biggest needs.

November 30th, 2008, 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]