View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 What a bunch of BS... 
Post What a bunch of BS...
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP)—Boston’s Kevin Youkilis(notes) and Detroit pitcher Rick Porcello(notes) were suspended for five games each Wednesday and fined by Major League Baseball for their roles in a benches-clearing confrontation.

The pair asked the players’ union to appeal the penalties, which will be held off pending completion of the process.

MLB vice president Bob Watson cited Youkilis for charging the mound, throwing his helmet at Porcello and inciting Tuesday night’s hostilities. Watson penalized Porcello for intentionally throwing pitches at Victor Martinez(notes) in the first inning and Youkilis in the second.

In addition, Detroit pitched Edwin Jackson(notes) was fined for what Watson said were aggressive actions.

Players from benches and bullpens went onto the field at Fenway Park and Youkilis tackled Porcello, but no punches were thrown. Youkilis and Porcello were ejected.

Tempers had been escalating since Monday night, when Miguel Cabrera(notes) was hit in the top of the fourth and Youkilis was plunked in the bottom half; Detroit’s Brandon Inge(notes) was hit in the eighth.

On Tuesday, Cabrera was hit in the left hand in the top of the first by Junichi Tazawa(notes). When Porcello threw an inside pitch to Martinez in the bottom, he took a few menacing steps toward the mound before returning to the batter’s box.

Youkilis led off the second inning and was hit in the back with the first pitch. He dropped his bat and ran toward Porcello, missing the pitcher with his batting helmet before wrapping him up and bringing him to the ground.

Boston, trailing 3-0 at the time, tied the score later in the inning on Jason Bay’s(notes) three-run homer off Chris Lambert(notes) and went on to win 7-5.

If anyone watched this series they know that Boston started this whole mess. IMO Youkilis is a pussy for charging a 19-20 yr old kid. Edwin Jackson threw inside, but nothing bad. But in any event, even as the article says, BOSTON started the whole thing by intentionally hitting Cabrera.

August 12th, 2009, 5:09 pm
RIP Killer

August 12th, 2009, 6:15 pm
Afghan Allstar

If you watch the video, Youkilis did not tackle Porcello. Porcello spun out of the way and then slammed Youkilis to the ground. Not very often will you see a pitcher slamming a pretty big first baseman to the ground.

Anyone remember who the player was that Kyle Farnsworth body slammed a few years back?

August 13th, 2009, 9:51 pm
If you watch the video, Youkilis did not tackle Porcello. Porcello spun out of the way and then slammed Youkilis to the ground. Not very often will you see a pitcher slamming a pretty big first baseman to the ground.

Anyone remember who the player was that Kyle Farnsworth body slammed a few years back?

I agree with that... I'm just saying that it is BS that a 34ish, 6'2"ish, 260lbish man ran after a 20 year old kid... Even if he lost it was a b!tch move...

August 16th, 2009, 5:23 pm
RIP Killer

Youkilis is a douche bag and RP made him his biatch.

The kid showed some good stuff by making a statement and definitely earned a lot of respect by doing what he did.

RP shouldn't have gotten a 5 game suspension. There was no warning issued, despite the intentional plunking of Cabrera.

August 17th, 2009, 12:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]