View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 6:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Trade Rumors - EJ & Laird; Lyon coming back? 
RIP Killer

Post Trade Rumors - EJ & Laird; Lyon coming back?
Found this at mlbtraderumors.com http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/11/t ... -lyon.html

While the Edwin Jackson trade rumors are the biggest item out of the Motor City today, here are a few other Tiger-related tidbits...

* The FOX Sports team of Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal are reporting that Detroit is also shopping Gerald Laird. The catcher hit .225/.306/.320 last season while making $2.8MM, and the Tigers would like to save some money by finding another catcher who can hit the same (or, as they surely hope, better) for a lesser contract.

* Michigan native J.J. Putz would be an attractive local-boy candidate for the Detroit bullpen, but Putz told MLB.com's Jason Beck that he is interested in playing for several teams, not just his home-state club. Putz and his agent said they had yet to be contacted by the Tigers.

* MLive.com's Steve Kornacki reports there is "mutual interest"
between the Tigers and free agent reliever Brandon Lyon about the right-hander returning to Detroit. Lyon had a strong 2.86 ERA in 65 appearances for the Tigers last season and said that they are "the first team [he] will talk to," though he stressed that he wants a multi-year contract.

November 11th, 2009, 1:05 pm
NFL Team Captain

Just read an article on Pro Sports Daily that thae Tigers are shopping Granderson as well as Jackson.

Please don't tell me that Millen has been hired by the Tigers.

Jackson and Granderson are two of the biggest parts of this young team's run towards multiple championships.

What the hell are these guys thinking? :? :? :shock:

November 12th, 2009, 9:41 am
I don't mind shopping EJ, but shopping Granderson is just plain crazy talk...

November 12th, 2009, 9:57 am
Heisman Winner

I don't mind shopping EJ, but shopping Granderson is just plain crazy talk...

The major problem with Granderson is he can't hit left hand pitchers. Fantasitic outfielder and good power for a lead off hitter, although he's not really fast enough to be a lead off hitter.

I also heard that they are dumping payroll as much as they can.

November 12th, 2009, 11:16 am
RIP Killer

EJ is gone after next year (FA). Tigs can't afford resigning Verlander (pay him whatever the F he wants) and what EJ will command. Remember, we have pretty much NOBODY after next year. Next year the Tigs and P-stones will be able to afford those big shopping sprees to Armani and won't have to shop at the Dollar General due to poor roster moves in the past.

EJ will want somewhere in the 6-8M/yr range I believe and I don't think he's worth it. I honestly think EJ's breakout was a fluke. He has never had very good secondary stuff and his secondary stuff was garbage in the 2nd half.

Porcello will be the #2. That kid is the real F'ing deal.

I heard rumors about Smoltz wanting to come back and play for the Tigs (he was brought up with them). I had heard he'll take whatever role they give him (starting or relieving). Smoltz still has decent stuff.

Either way, this team needs Bondo and/or Robertson or Galarraga to come back healthy and ready to go. I think Armando will come back and put up his first Tiger season type stats (pretty damn good) and I think between Bondo and Nate, we'll get some pretty solid contributions. I think that Bondo will return to form, as his slider was looking very good, but his fastball had no movement. Once he gets that velocity up around 94, his movement will come back and he'll be back to striking out 175-200 batters.

If we lose EJ, I see:
1) Verlander
2) Porcello
3) Bonderman
4) Galarraga
5) Roberston

If we don't lose EJ, Nate's the odd man out.

Nobody in their right mind would trade for Nate or Bondo with their 10-12M salary. I think Dombrowski will try to get as much as they can out of them.

Willis is likely to be cut. Dood's done.

November 12th, 2009, 12:09 pm
Convo... Do you think Smoltz could be a closer? He's got the mental make-up, that's for sure, but does he still have enough in the tank to throw some gas for an inning (I don't think he does, but I wanted your opinion). I'd love to see Smoltz come back as a middle reliever for us, for a reasonable price. That trade was probably the worst trade in Tiger's history (Doyle Alexander), and may be one of the worst trades in sports history. I've always liked Smoltz and in the mid-90's dreamed of what our team would look like with him on our roster... Those days are over, but it would be nice to see him in a Det. jersey for a while before retiring.

November 12th, 2009, 1:04 pm
RIP Killer

While I do like Smoltz and think he could even be a rotational #5 starter and could be good as a long reliever, I don't think he would be a good closer. I would have to see him in Spring Training and see how his breaking balls are looking...see if he's still got the good mound presence he built up towards the end of last season. I think a 7-8 inning long reliever/setup man would the perfect role for him. If a pitcher gets knocked out (like AG did so often this year, he fills the Miner role). Keep in mind, Smoltz had 40Ks and 9BBs in 7 games. That's pretty damn solid.

Unfortunately, if he were to start, he'd be a 5IP average type of guy. We have enough of those on the roster. We need inning eaters, because out pen is average (please, for the love of God, bring Lyon back!).

Smoltz was tipping his pitches last year in Boston, doing some weird footwork for each pitch. He didn't realize it until he went to STL and their pitching coach (one of the best in the league) informed him of it. After he realized it, he had a .250 BAA, 4.26 ERA, 9 BB and 40 Ks. Smoltz had 40Ks in 7 games started, more than Brad Thompson who appeared in 32 games and started 8. Not bad for a 42 year old. (see http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog/ro ... asy,184543)

I think the closer role is overrated. There are always going to be Nathans and Riveras but by and large its better to get a bunch of guys whom one of could turn into a Bell, Aardsma, Franklin, Soria, Street, Capps (I could go on)...instead of giving big money one guy to be a KRod, Lidge or Wood.

I would rather Smoltz be the setup man and Lyon be the closer. I think Lyon is by far the most underrated pitcher on this team. Dood posted amazing numbers last year came through when the rest of the pen let us down. Too bad we can't spend trade for Carlos Marmol. I hate the Cubs and it's a shame that Marmol is wasting away in a setup role for them. That dood is lights out.

BTW - Phillies are interested in Polanco @ THIRD BASE. I don't believe he has the range for it and I think it would tarnish his Gold Glove reputation.

November 12th, 2009, 2:58 pm
League MVP

about not being able to sign EJ after next season -

I dont believe it. Ilitch has the payroll aroun 120 mill right now, right? he s has shown he is willing to spend. despite what people say about the economy the tigers were top 5 in attendance which ranks right around where the payroll ranks. the people have shown they will show up and watch competitive teams in the detroit area. we also have some major money potentially coming off the books after 2010: magglio 18 mill, willis ~ 10 mill, robertson ~ 10 mill, then in 2011 10-12 mill for guillen, 8 mill for bonderman. also inge coming off books in one of those seasons as well and hes making 5-6mill. that is a lot of money that will be coming off - so while they dont have a lot to spend now they will likely have it in the next 1-2 years. the moves for huff, washburn this year dont make a lot of sense if they dont think they have enough cash for granderson, jackson, and laird for next year.

they may believe that jackson given his history isnt as good as he showed this year. so maybe trade him while his value is at its peak right now and try to fill some position player gaps. personally, i think jackson is legit and is worthy of signing to a nice contract if he does well again in 2010. its hard for to me judge what kind of young arms we have coming up but its conceivable dombrowski is happy with the depth we have.

granderson - im not at all opposed to trading granderson. i dont know how much we could get for him. i agree napoli, wood doesnt sound like much of a deal. why would we want napoli when we have avila? does it make sense to trade for napoli and then deal laird? i doubt laird has better value than granderson so just get the best deal you can for him. wood has some great AAA numbers but hasnt done that well in the bigs.

Bottom line: the tigers need to improve their hitting. they need a Lefty bat to protect cabrera in the lineup. they need a real leadoff hitter who gets on base and can run. maybe a middle infielder who can hit. on the bases and in the field they need more speed to better complement the home park. id keep EJ, trade grand, trade laird and roll the dice a little bit with some young players in 2010 then see what needs can be filled for 2011 through FA when ur team will again have some spending money.

and please ilitch, tell me you are healthy and will be around

November 13th, 2009, 9:34 pm
I'd love to get something for Polanco. I think he's still got it, but he can't have more than 1-2 years left, and I think we're 3-4 years out from being world series contenders (after Porcello matures and our rotation gets more solidified).

I agree about resigning EJ. I think, as long as we re-sign him next season (extend his K) and don't let him hit the FA market, I think we can get it done. I think at $6-8 mill he's a value, and I can't see Illitch passing on a good value simply because he has a few overpaid players on the roster.

On a sidenote... I thought Willis was signed until 2013?

November 13th, 2009, 10:44 pm
RIP Killer

In all fairness, Guillen is the only one on the books for 2011, at $13M.

Willis has 2 more years left
3 years/$29M (2008-10)

* acquired by Detroit in trade from Florida 12/4/07
* signed extension with Detroit 12/20/07 (avoided arbitration)
* 08:$7M, 09:$10M, 10:$12M
* award bonuses: $0.5M for Cy Young ($0.2M for 2nd in vote, $0.1M for 3rd)

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/detroit-tigers_21.html

I really wish someone would step in and just do something about these $200M contracts. $10M a season is even ridiculous and there's a TON of worthless turds out there making that kind of cabbage. I won't make that in my lifetime, as a Nuclear Reactor Operator (including all my performance bonuses, license bonuses, and so on). Baseball players play longer than players in any other sport, yet they make more. Sure, they play everyday and are away from their families more, but come on...

Sorry for the rant.

November 13th, 2009, 11:07 pm
League MVP

co2 - 2010 is next yr, ie willis has 2010 left and thats 1 yr, he s gone

November 14th, 2009, 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]