View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 30th, 2014, 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Can we start to call Verlander...... 
League MVP

Post Re: Can we start to call Verlander......
Pablo wrote:
I don't get the logic that Pitchers shouldn't win the award - could someone explain the concept to me? It is Most "Valuable" Player, not most played player. Value equates to impact on teams performance, and pitchers are like QBs in football - their impact is much greater than a positional player.

Now, I get the fact that a positional player plays every day but Verlander faced 300 more batters than Ellsbury had plate appearances. That is over 300 more opportunities to impact the game.

Speaking of impact, what would be worse? The Tigers losing Verlander for the season or the Red Sox losing Ellsbury? Isn't that another way to determine value?

Quite frankly, I think baseball has this MVP totally backwards - I gotta believe pitchers are far more frequently the most valuable player on their teams than any given positional player.

Then again, I'm not a baseball fan so forgive my ignorance if I am wrong.

Congrats Justin!

really the only logic is that pitchers have their own award in the cy young. some people use the games played argument but as you said, if you look at batters faced starting pitchers that throw 200+ innings outdo the positional players. that said, i think there would be an uprising if every season, the cy young winner won the MVP by that argument. what happened this year was Verlander was truly exceptional and didnt win just the triple crown for pitchers but won virtually every statistical category you could think of while none of the position players stood out besides bautista who was on a bad team. the others had similar flaws - the red sox team had an epic collapse, granderson had a very low avg for MVP. there will always be a debate over what the award stands for - truly most valuable player to their own team or most outstanding performance on the season?

as for the silver slugger and gold glove, those are position specific and there is an NL silver slugger for a pitcher and there are gold gloves for pitchers in both leagues, remember kenny rogers

here s to rooting for cabrera winning the MVP if we get some legit play from the 1-2 spots in the order in 2012.

November 21st, 2011, 9:36 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Congrats to Justin. I expected him to win the Cy Young, but the MVP was a mild surprise. Hopefully, he can do it again next year. :D

November 22nd, 2011, 2:22 pm
Veteran General Manager

slybri19 wrote:
Congrats to Justin. I expected him to win the Cy Young, but the MVP was a mild surprise. Hopefully, he can do it again next year. :D

+1

It ticks me off a bit that we wasted Justin's performance with a lackluster offense once the playoffs started.

November 22nd, 2011, 5:25 pm
League MVP

justin also didnt pitch very well billy, lets hear u go blame dd or leyland about it

November 26th, 2011, 12:38 pm
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:
justin also didnt pitch very well billy, lets hear u go blame dd or leyland about it

Why are you trying start crap? I have an opinion of Leyland and Dumbrowski. Sue me! I am sorry I don't like your idols.

November 26th, 2011, 12:43 pm
League MVP

u started it when u insinuated that the rest of the team blew verlander's season when verlander had a role in it himself...those guys arent my idols but i have enough of a memory to know that they formulate a quality staff and that before dave dombrowski came here the team was entirely worthless. u dont want to respect that, thats fine but dont expect for everyone else to sit around and listen to how stupid you think they are without turning that thought onto you

good day sir

November 27th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Veteran General Manager

The Legend wrote:
u started it when u insinuated that the rest of the team blew verlander's season when verlander had a role in it himself...those guys arent my idols but i have enough of a memory to know that they formulate a quality staff and that before dave dombrowski came here the team was entirely worthless. u dont want to respect that, thats fine but dont expect for everyone else to sit around and listen to how stupid you think they are without turning that thought onto you

good day sir

OK Willy Wonka!

I don't "expect" anyone to even read my post. If you don't want to read my post, then don't. You don't have to be a jerk about not liking my opinions. But, if it makes you feel superior to make such posts, then by all means, go ahead and let everyone read what kind of an anal retentive butt head you are.

November 27th, 2011, 1:25 pm
League MVP

if u dont expect people to read it, why post it? good move on the name calling. happy holidays

November 28th, 2011, 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5