HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

The Official Leyland Must Go Thread
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16052
Page 3 of 7

Author:  kdsberman [ October 3rd, 2012, 5:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

Lions2SB2 wrote:
New York, Baltimore, Texas or Oakland

Detroit will play the division winner with the fewest victories. However, in the event of a tie …

The Yankees hold the tiebreaker over the Rangers but not the Athletics, so if New York and Texas win their divisions and finish with identical records, Detroit would play Texas. If New York and Oakland win their divisions and finish with identical records, Detroit would play New York.

The Orioles lose the tiebreaker to both the Rangers and Athletics, so if Baltimore wins the East and finishes with the same number of victories as the West champ, Detroit would play Baltimore.


Too much to think about lol.

Author:  Lions2SB2 [ October 3rd, 2012, 11:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

kdsberman wrote:
Lions2SB2 wrote:
New York, Baltimore, Texas or Oakland

Detroit will play the division winner with the fewest victories. However, in the event of a tie …

The Yankees hold the tiebreaker over the Rangers but not the Athletics, so if New York and Texas win their divisions and finish with identical records, Detroit would play Texas. If New York and Oakland win their divisions and finish with identical records, Detroit would play New York.

The Orioles lose the tiebreaker to both the Rangers and Athletics, so if Baltimore wins the East and finishes with the same number of victories as the West champ, Detroit would play Baltimore.


Too much to think about lol.


Right lol I just copy and paste it from a website. :D

Author:  BillySims [ October 3rd, 2012, 5:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

Perfect scenario:

Yankees and Rangers in the wild card game with the Yankees winning that game.

LOL.

Author:  kdsberman [ October 3rd, 2012, 9:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

Vs Oakland A's Saturday 6:00PM @ Comerica

Author:  BillySims [ October 3rd, 2012, 10:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

Playoffs bracket: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/postseasonpicture.jsp

I'm a huge Orioles and Braves fan. At least this Friday I am. LOL.

Author:  fekko2 [ October 4th, 2012, 12:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

Sorry Legend but I couldn't disagree with YOU more. Leland is subpar and they made the playoffs despite him not because of him. They have tons of talent and most likely back to back MVP's from a pitcher and a position player. As I already said, the one run games are the teller and the Tigers lost far too many of those. Good managers get you a few of those wins. I can't remember reading one game recap or watching one game this year where a Leyland strategic move got them a one run win. If he did it was far offset by his normal routine. His entire strategy is wait for the 3 run homer. And did I suggest having Prince bunt or Cabera steal bases? No.

I question moves like trotting Rayburn out to hit second late in the season while he's hitting a .170 ...just to tick people off from what I can see. Moves like pulling starting pitchers who have good pitch counts and are rolling along just so he can stick with his 7th, 8th, and 9th inning specialists! I won't even get into his manlove for Inge over the last couple of years when he did absolutely nothing at the plate and was declining in the field as well. He is way too caught up (like many managers are) with the righty/lefty matchups as well. If a guy is a good hitter let him hit! Don't replace a dude hitting +.300 with someone hitting .200 FOR AN ENTIRE game just because of which side he bats from. You will most likely see 2-3 pitchers nowdays anyhow. Hardly anyone pitchers their guy an entire game.

Do I think he has ever been a good manager...yes. You don't stick around that long without doing some things right. But he is around .500 for his career as a manager and has had some talented rosters to work with as well (his Pittsburgh teams had talent as well as his current one). I don't see the brilliant baseball mind of a Tony LaRussa or even someone that's really engaged in what he's doing now. If you read and watch enough you DO see him doing or saying (or not saying) things just to be contrary. How does that help anyone but Jim Leyland?

And as far as the media, he does stonewall them if they ask any kind of a hard question. Read up, it's out there! Yes, he can and does provide some nice game analysis and player insight when he wants to. But it's always on his terms; managers represent the team and he should at least make an attempt to be more professional. My hope is they win it all this year and he can retire.

Author:  Lions2SB2 [ October 4th, 2012, 3:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

fekko2 wrote:
My hope is they win it all this year and he can retire.


Right there with you. :cheers:

Author:  LionsFan4Life [ October 4th, 2012, 4:09 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

I heard Bobby Valentine is available. :lol:

Author:  Lions2SB2 [ October 4th, 2012, 6:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

LionsFan4Life wrote:
I heard Bobby Valentine is available. :lol:


Such a good pick, everyone else doesn't come close.

Author:  The Legend [ October 6th, 2012, 9:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

fekko2 wrote:
Sorry Legend but I couldn't disagree with YOU more. Leland is subpar and they made the playoffs despite him not because of him. They have tons of talent and most likely back to back MVP's from a pitcher and a position player. As I already said, the one run games are the teller and the Tigers lost far too many of those. Good managers get you a few of those wins. I can't remember reading one game recap or watching one game this year where a Leyland strategic move got them a one run win. If he did it was far offset by his normal routine. His entire strategy is wait for the 3 run homer. And did I suggest having Prince bunt or Cabera steal bases? No.

I question moves like trotting Rayburn out to hit second late in the season while he's hitting a .170 ...just to tick people off from what I can see. Moves like pulling starting pitchers who have good pitch counts and are rolling along just so he can stick with his 7th, 8th, and 9th inning specialists! I won't even get into his manlove for Inge over the last couple of years when he did absolutely nothing at the plate and was declining in the field as well. He is way too caught up (like many managers are) with the righty/lefty matchups as well. If a guy is a good hitter let him hit! Don't replace a dude hitting +.300 with someone hitting .200 FOR AN ENTIRE game just because of which side he bats from. You will most likely see 2-3 pitchers nowdays anyhow. Hardly anyone pitchers their guy an entire game.

Do I think he has ever been a good manager...yes. You don't stick around that long without doing some things right. But he is around .500 for his career as a manager and has had some talented rosters to work with as well (his Pittsburgh teams had talent as well as his current one). I don't see the brilliant baseball mind of a Tony LaRussa or even someone that's really engaged in what he's doing now. If you read and watch enough you DO see him doing or saying (or not saying) things just to be contrary. How does that help anyone but Jim Leyland?

And as far as the media, he does stonewall them if they ask any kind of a hard question. Read up, it's out there! Yes, he can and does provide some nice game analysis and player insight when he wants to. But it's always on his terms; managers represent the team and he should at least make an attempt to be more professional. My hope is they win it all this year and he can retire.


I disagreed with this post when you wrote it the first time. Thanks for the repost. Go Tigers!!!

Author:  Killwill25 [ October 11th, 2012, 12:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

since we lost the WS, All we've done is lose big games

Author:  Killwill25 [ October 11th, 2012, 1:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

seriously, phuck this team and Jim Leyland.

Author:  Lions2SB2 [ October 11th, 2012, 1:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

LOL!!!

CHOKEEEE!!

No, they will probably win like 5-2 tomorrow now.

Why do you pitch to Crisp with a open base first off?!

Author:  The Legend [ October 11th, 2012, 1:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

probably bc Drew was 2-4 on the game and Crisp was 0-4...drew also hitting better for the series

Author:  The Legend [ October 11th, 2012, 2:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Official Leyland Must Go Thread

Killwill25 wrote:
since we lost the WS, All we've done is lose big games


bc we didnt beat the yankees last year in the playoffs, right?

Page 3 of 7 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/