View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 30th, 2014, 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Goodbye Prince. Hello Ian Kinsler. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Goodbye Prince. Hello Ian Kinsler.
Quote:
Tigers agree to trade Prince Fielder to Rangers for Ian Kinsler
Tim Brown
By Tim Brown 30 minutes ago Yahoo Sports

The Detroit Tigers agreed to trade slugger Prince Fielder to the Texas Rangers in exchange for Ian Kinsler, sources confirmed to Yahoo Sports on Wednesday night.
The particulars of the deal are being finalized. The Rangers will receive $30 million from the Tigers in the deal, sources said. As a free agent two years ago, Fielder signed with the Tigers for $214 million over nine years, the fifth-largest contract in baseball history. Seven years and $168 million remain on that contract.

He'd take over at first base and bat in the middle of the lineup for the Rangers, who last winter lost Josh Hamilton to free agency and this winter could lose Nelson Cruz. Once an offensive force, the Rangers were just above average in 2013.

The Tigers' payroll had risen to nearly $150 million, and as a result they'd considered moving several players – Fielder and AL Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer among them. Scherzer will be a free agent after the 2014 season and Miguel Cabrera, their back-to-back AL MVP, can be a free agent after the 2015 season.

Cabrera, a below-average defender who moved to third base when Fielder was signed, presumably would return to first base. Nick Castellanos, a 21-year-old former first-round pick who played 11 games in the big leagues last season, is most likely to take over at third base.

Kinsler, 31, is a three-time All-Star who will fill a hole at second for the Tigers. He hit 32 home runs in 2011 and has 32 since. He is under contract for four more years, over which he is guaranteed $62 million.

The Tigers were believed to be players for free agent second baseman Robinson Cano. Instead, they get Kinsler, which could lead to speculation that the Rangers may jump in on Cano. More likely, they have cleared a position for Jurickson Profar, the 20-year-old infielder and top prospect who batted .234 in 85 games for them last season.

While Fielder is one of the most prolific home run hitters in the game, he tailed off to 25 – and a .279 batting average – last season in Detroit. He followed that by batting .225 with no home runs and no RBIs in 11 postseason games.

In spite of his heaviness, he has missed one game in the past five years.

The trade was first reported by CBSSports.com.

November 20th, 2013, 10:57 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Post Re: Goodbye Prince. Hello Ian Kinsler.
i think a smart poster may have predicted that

November 20th, 2013, 11:16 pm
Team MVP

Im happy about that. Got sick and tired of watching Prince act like he doesnt care every time he stepped up to the plate in the post season. I dont want someone like that on my team, regardless of how big of name he is.

April 22nd, 2010 @ 7:44p.m. "The Detroit Lions select...Ndamukong Suh". Those are some beautiful words.

Lionbacker2 Fantasy Champion 2011

November 21st, 2013, 10:14 am
Varsity Captain

Not a player on earth is worth about a mil per homerun. We owed him about $165 for 7 years. By sending the Rangers $30 mil and paying Kinsler around $62 we saved $73 mil which will be used to resign Max.

Miggy will go back to 1st and Castellonous can go back to his normal position at 3rd. We will still an everyday LF with a good bat. There are several OFs available Sihn Shoo Choo (lefty), Granderson and Nelson Cruz. I'd like to see Peralta come back and play 3rd if they don't think Nick isn't ready. Omar could also come back at 3rd or UT. While we are spending Prince's money, what about Brian McCann and put Avilia on the pine. He can't catch the ball with his glove and hit about 70 points lower than Pena. Finally, closer Joe Nathan says that he loves the Tigers. Benoit in the 8th and Nathan in the 9th would put between 5 and 10 more wins on the record. Smyly deserves a shot at starting. Whoever loses the battle for the 5th spot in the could be packaged wi h Kelly(please) and/or Dirks for a powerhitting OF prospect. Hunter will not be around much longer and we need to be ready.

Why they let Pena walk and resigned Coke is beyond me. I really don't think that the 10 or so good innings that Coke will pull out of his arse are worth a roster spot and a couple of mil. Then again I don't get paid to manage.

November 21st, 2013, 11:29 pm
RIP Killer

Benoit and Nathan will cost about $20M combined. Not realistic. Also, peralta wants $12m per and choo is eyeballing $100M over 6. No way the tigs would add another $40M this year and be in the hook for at least that next year too.

November 21st, 2013, 11:44 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

conversion02 wrote:
Benoit and Nathan will cost about $20M combined. Not realistic. Also, peralta wants $12m per and choo is eyeballing $100M over 6. No way the tigs would add another $40M this year and be in the hook for at least that next year too.

they freed ~ $70 mill with the fielder trade (over 7 years) and they wont have to sign infante to return at 2b now where he might ve cost close to $8-9 mill x 4-5 years. so there may be money to spend. this deal created some flexibility. i really like choo but maybe they d rather not give up the draft compensation or the long term commitment and go for carlos beltran on a 2-3 yr deal play him in a corner or less likely raul ibanez - could rotate in at dh and corner outfield on a 1-2 year deal. neither would solve much for the future but would keep a flexible payroll since there deals would come off quickly.

November 22nd, 2013, 5:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]