View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Small ball works. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Small ball works.
Last night, the Tigers got a win in a way that would have never happened under Leyland.
A run was batted in on a 2 out bunt single. That was the wining run. Back up Catcher Brian Holiday later admitted that it was his idea to do it. Leyland would not have given the permission for anyone to do that. Let alone the backup catcher with 2 outs.

Leyland would have likely been playing for the HR because that is the only way he knows how to manage.

April 30th, 2014, 10:37 am
Hall of Fame Player

Post Re: Small ball works.
Where are the people who so vigorously argued against me when I claimed Leyland and his coaching style was holding the Tigers back last year? The Stats this year proves I was right. We left at least 20 wins in the Loss category last year because Leyland didn't know jack about small balling a win here and there.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp?c ... extended=0

The Tigers have 35 stolen bases and caught only 13 times.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/mlb/getleaders.asp?rank=030

5 of the top 30 in Sacrifice hits in the AL are Tigers hitters.
Interestingly, if you change the search to sacrifice bunts, you will see that Max Scherzer is tied for 10th with 2. No other tiger ranks on that list. Probably because they are beating the throw to first more often then they don't so it goes as a bunt single instead of a sacrifice bunt. I can't find anywhere that can prove that though.

Anyway, the Tigers are doing things in a way that they are squeezing out wins any way they can under Ausmus. And Leyland was content to lose a lot of games because he only managed for the HR. As a result, they lead MLB in wins. And our best hitter is only now starting to come alive at the plate.

Last edited by TheRealWags on May 16th, 2014, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fixed URL

May 16th, 2014, 12:28 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

They are looking good but by no means would i say that i think they are better. the roster is configured differently, had little to nothing to do with leyland or ausmus necessarily which is what you werent acknowledging. through 52 games this season the tigers have scored 28 runs less than a year ago and also allowed 14 more runs but have a 4-5% better Winning Percentage so I can support the benefits of small ball argument - I just dont buy the Leyland was awful lunacy.

June 1st, 2014, 2:38 pm
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
They are looking good but by no means would i say that i think they are better. the roster is configured differently, had little to nothing to do with leyland or ausmus necessarily which is what you werent acknowledging. through 52 games this season the tigers have scored 28 runs less than a year ago and also allowed 14 more runs but have a 4-5% better Winning Percentage so I can support the benefits of small ball argument - I just dont buy the Leyland was awful lunacy.

Yep same record, runs scored are down 5.27 runs scored per game in 2013 compared to 4.43 as of today. Runs allowed 3.93 runs per game in 2013 and 4.34 as of today.

Saying anything is working better now compared to last year seems to have been a little premature.

The real issue is the bullpen. I was really thinking we got ourselves a closer with Nathan, but he looks like a shell of his former self. Perhaps too much was spent on him with too long of a commitment. I hope he can turn it around. It's also amazing that Phil Coke is still on the roster. I understand the need for a situational lefty but damn I can never think of the situation you should use him in. Joba has been a pleasant surprise though, shaky at times but typically gets the job done. Also Al Al seems to have regressed substantially, what happened to the wipe out slider?

I'm really worried about this team not coming out of this funk as the same team that is started the season as. I think they'll make the playoffs but will be an easy bounce out to a team with any type of quality pitching.

June 6th, 2014, 10:46 am
Hall of Fame Player

Small Ball is working. It's just that as soon as I posted this topic, our starting pitchers started dropping turds all over the place.

Because of small ball, the Tigers have only been shutout a couple of times this year. Last year, they got shut out a whole lot more than a couple times by the middle of June.

June 18th, 2014, 12:24 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

BillySims wrote:
Small Ball is working. It's just that as soon as I posted this topic, our starting pitchers started dropping turds all over the place.

Because of small ball, the Tigers have only been shutout a couple of times this year. Last year, they got shut out a whole lot more than a couple times by the middle of June.

Nobody is debating with you whether or not small ball works.

June 19th, 2014, 11:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]