View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2018, 1:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Catching Wins 
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

Post Catching Wins
I cannot find a statistic for a catcher for wins and losses. Is there one?

It seems Avila has caught for somewhere north of 300 wins over the last 5 seasons. Is that good? I imagine is pretty good as the Tigers have won their division 4 years in a row. Still, I cannot find a stat to compare it to.

September 29th, 2014, 3:02 pm
National Champion

Post Re: Catching Wins
TruckinMack wrote:
I cannot find a statistic for a catcher for wins and losses. Is there one?

It seems Avila has caught for somewhere north of 300 wins over the last 5 seasons. Is that good? I imagine is pretty good as the Tigers have won their division 4 years in a row. Still, I cannot find a stat to compare it to.

I think you can get this here:

You just need to toggle between In games won by team and in games losst by team at the top. You can also go through the different years too. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do but I think if you do the math between wins and loses it adds up to Avila appearing in 124 games this season. Does that sound right?

Last edited by TheRealWags on September 29th, 2014, 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fixed link

September 29th, 2014, 3:13 pm
National Champion

Sorry Wags I tried to fix this myself and I ruined your fix at the same time. I'll leave this to you this time.

September 29th, 2014, 3:18 pm
Megatron

Not sure if this may be related:
Quote:
Catcher's ERA
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Catcher's ERA or CERA in baseball statistics is the earned run average of the pitchers pitching when the catcher in question is catching. Its primary purpose is to measure a catcher's game-calling, rather than his effect on the opposing team's running game.[1] Craig Wright first described the concept of CERA in his 1989 book The Diamond Appraised.[2] With it, Wright developed a method of determining a catcher's effect on a team's pitching staff by comparing pitchers' performance when playing with different catchers.[2]

However, Baseball Prospectus writer Keith Woolner found through statistical analysis of catcher performance that "catcher game-calling isn't a statistically significant skill".[2] Sabermetrician Bill James, too, performed research into CERA, finding that while it is possible that catchers may have a significant effect on a pitching staff, there is too much yearly variation in CERA for it to be a reliable indicator of ability.[1] James used simulations of catchers with assigned defensive values to directly compare CERAs, which influenced Woolner to perform similar simulations but instead using weighted events to calculate pitchers' runs per plate appearance.[1] Through this, Woolner concluded that even if catchers do have an effect on pitchers' abilities to prevent runs, it is undetectable and thus has no practical usage.[1] He also stated that "the hypothesis most consistent with the available facts appears to be that catchers do not have a significant effect on pitcher performance".[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catcher%27s_ERA

September 29th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Megatron

aManNamedSuh wrote:
Sorry Wags I tried to fix this myself and I ruined your fix at the same time. I'll leave this to you this time.
Sorry about that. I think it should work now.

September 29th, 2014, 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]