View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Tigers/Weaver? 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Tigers/Weaver?
Is anyone interested in us facing Weaver?? I know I am-- I loved him when he was here; but he hasn't had very much success outside of Detroit though...

Michael Huff for DROY

June 8th, 2005, 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

I am much more interested in us acquiring Weaver...

What do you think about trading Ramon Martinez and Ugie for Placido Polanco? IMO, it is a nice stop-gap solution for any time which Guillen may miss while getting healthy this season, as well as giving up Ugie for an upgrade on Ramon Martinez, who appears to be nothing special.

I am also pleased because this means my fantasy 2B, Chase Utley, will be a full timer, FINALLY!! :wink:

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

June 8th, 2005, 6:22 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am much more interested in us acquiring Weaver...

What do you think about trading Ramon Martinez and Ugie for Placido Polanco? IMO, it is a nice stop-gap solution for any time which Guillen may miss while getting healthy this season, as well as giving up Ugie for an upgrade on Ramon Martinez, who appears to be nothing special.

I don't think we need another starter. We have got some good prospects-Verlander, Ledezma, Sanchez, etc.

I thought you were speculating about the trade. :shock:

I'll miss Ugie a lot, but I know he wanted to close, so good for him. I kind of like Infante even though his bat stinks. It will be hard for him to improve now. Maybe we should option him.

We have an empty roster spot, who do we fill it with? Smith, or a callup?

June 8th, 2005, 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Div 1 - Starter

We have an empty roster spot, who do we fill it with? Smith, or a callup?

I say let's see Chris Granderson! :D ...in all seriousness though, you cannot really feel that Ledezma is ready at this point. He is consistently getting shelled! We cannot afford to put such a strain on our bullpen everytime he pitches 3-4 innings and gets us down 3-4 runs!

The good thing that has developed this season, IMO, is that Bonderman might be capable of being the #1 pitcher that seems so hard to fill with FAs in the offseason. [I loved to see how upset he was after Kent nailed that mistake Monday night, just because it shows his refusal to accept even one failure from himself]. Jason Johnson seems much more in his league facing #3 and #4 pitchers... and Maroth, well, he could benefit from a move down. So we need another #2 IMO. That is why a guy around Weaver's level would be great.

On the other hand, what is the story with Andy Van Hekken, that prospect who came at the end of the historical losing season and tossed a 2 hit shutout or something? Anybody heard anything there? I wouldn't mind seeing him get a chance to show himself in some middle innings....

Polanco should be a considerable offensive upgrade at 2B, where we have been reeling ever since our hopes were dashed with Fernando Vina's serious injury threatened his whole career. I liked Infante too, but given Nook's promising performance this season, the management obviously felt that an IF was a bigger need than CF with our trade bait, Urbina, whose value is as high as it will ever be. Polanco was a hot prospect in STL (where they unquestionably know their player values) who was only traded to PHI for Scott F. Rolen. I am really excited about the direction of this team. Tramm, Gibby, Parrish and Pudge are doing a great job changing the losing mentality this team has seemed to accept over the last several years....

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

Last edited by blueblood1 on June 10th, 2005, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 8th, 2005, 10:18 pm
QB Coach

The trade for Polanco was idioticy at it's truest form.

Yes, the Tigers were going to move Urbina.

Yes, they needed a third baseman.

But it's Placido Polanco we are talking about here. He couldn't beat out Chase Utley at 2nd base, or David Bell at 3rd base.

Interpret the stats how you want. But we didn't get any prospects. We traded away a solid depth player in the infield, and a great reliever for a backup infielder.

Detroit isn't going to make the playoffs this year. Not with the White Sox and the Twins playing the way they are. Why not trade for top prospects?

I don't like the move, I think Polanco is incredibly overrated, but I want to see how he plays. Ugie was one of my favorite Tigers. Of course, I didn't think Guillen was going to be anything special.

June 8th, 2005, 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

About the rotation, it seems to me that it is all symbolic. Rarely do the #1's from both teams pitch against each other. JJ and Maroth are pitching well right now, and Roberston is doing well too. Bondy is having a little bit of difficulty right now, but I do not see a need for a #2 guy. We do need a #5 guy. Thats what Douglass is for, but he isn't a true prospect. Ledezma is, since he has so much upside. Even if he never improves, we have Verlander waiting to come up soon, maybe late next season, or the season after.

June 9th, 2005, 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Actually I love the idea of us re-acquiring Jeff Weaver... We can package Tony Giaratano, Curtis Granderson, and Wil Ledezma for him and our starting rotation would look like this:

1.) Jeramy Bonderman
2.) Jeff Weaver
3.) Mike Maroth
4.) Jason Johnson
5.) Nate Robertson

I think MM, JJ, and NR would excell in those positions I know MM, and NR did last year lower in the lineup

Michael Huff for DROY

June 9th, 2005, 11:49 am
Profile WWW

I wouldn't mind trading Ledezma and Granderson, but I don't like Weaver. He has never had a winning season. I don't think he would be worth it, and he definitly wouldn't want to come back. Could you imagine JJ going back to the O's? Also, Tram seems to love Tony G for some reason, I don't think he would be happy with trading him away. Using Ledezma and Granderson as trade bait is a great idea though. Hopefully we could get better than a backup second baseman. :lol:

June 9th, 2005, 11:59 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Detroit isn't going to trade their only prospect in Granderson. They aren't stupid. Granderson is poised to make the leap to the MLB either by the end of this year, or next year. Especially for someone like Weaver.

The Tigers aren't one or two players away from being in the playoffs. They are 8 games back from Minnesota, and have the 9th worst record in baseball.

Trading Urbina for Polanco will come back to haunt us. There have been crappy closers dealt at the trade deadline for top prospects, and in a year like this, we could have shipped Urbina to the NL East for a top prospect, not Placido Polanco.

This team is thinking playoffs when they have a long way to go.

June 9th, 2005, 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

i wonder if they are just thinking about a winning season which could help actually sign the top free agents and without overpaying. i am curious to see what they will do with white, johnson, polanco and dmitri young at the trade deadline. i think any if them could help the true contenders and their contracts are ending soon. i dont think they have a shot at the wild card this year but i dont think they should be selling anyone that is not just a spare part on this year's team.

July 2nd, 2005, 1:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]