View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2018, 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 The REBOOT begins. 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post The REBOOT begins.
Price to Toronto for 3 Left handler starting pitchers at various levels of development. I am not really impressed. Norris, the most ready, has a 4.27 ERA. And a 1.5WHIP. He will start on Sunday in Prices spot in in the rotation. At least until his 1.5 WHIP gets him lit up like a blow torch in the big leagues..

Soria to the Pirates for a SS that has 3 games above Single A. He will not make it to the big leagues as a SS because of Iglasias. He has also played a few games at CF and 3rd Base. Ideally, he will make the switch to 2nd Base and be ready to take over there either next year or the year after.

A number of teams are said to be interested in Cespades. But, nothing concrete at the time of this posting.

Edited to add: I should clarify my not being impressed with what we got in the Price trade. I think we got a lot less than we would have if Dumb Rowski would have made up his mind to sell even 2 days earlier when Tampa Bay put us 3 games under 500. But, he dilly dallied, and other teams didn't really have time to get into a bidding war. From comments I have heard on Sirius/XM MLB Radio, I have surmised that the Dodgers would have given us a boatload of prospects for him. But, they couldn't sit around and wait for Dumb Rowski to make up his mind.

July 30th, 2015, 9:11 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: The REBOOT begins.
Price trade: I think they actually did a good job with this trade. The Dodgers were not going to move Seager or Urias and the Cubs werent looking to make trades for this season so Norris was the best prospect available. Norris is definitely a safer bet than what the Tigers would be expected to get with a compensation pick (mid 30s overall) that they wouldnt even get to make until next June and then would have to develop for a few years. I think Norris will have a solid major league career and the Tigers can project him being a quality starter in the future though he also needs some time. He has 4 good pitches that he s learning to command and control so the high WHIP points to the fact that he hasnt been able to master that yet. Its on the Tigers now to harness and nurture that development. If that clicks, watch out they will have a good one on there hands. If not Norris is probably still a useful back of the rotation starter. In addition they get two additional lefty arms, La Bourt with a power fastball that has a ways to go before he hits the majors but did get picked for the Futures Game and the other - Boyd is having a solid year in the minors but it doesnt look like his arsenal is all that impressive. At best, Norris becomes a No 1 or No 2 starter, Boyd becomes a No 5 starter and La Bourt becomes a late inning power arm. At worst Norris is a back end starter while Boyd and La Bourt have a cup of coffee in the majors and fizzle out. At least there is some arm talent to work with here. Norris is better than any current Tigers starting pitching prospect like Farmer, Ziomek, Kubitza and Boyd is a better option than Kyle Ryan moving forward. La Bourt follows in the line of DD obsession with lefties with some power like Coke, Krol so he may get to the majors and get a legitimate chance in the coming years.

Soria trade: Kind of a surprising trade bc the Pirates were not desperate for bullpen help. Not a great trade but the Tigers would get nothing for Soria walking at the end of year. The description on Jones is that he is very athletic, has size and some power and can field well enough to stay at SS or cover a couple other spots as well - ie OF/2B maybe even 3B though he hasnt played there. Again there is something to work with but the Tigers will have to teach him to hit or else he s just a guy that comes up eventually and serves as depth and as a utility player. Not a sure thing by any means but his athleticism probably gives him a decent chance to make it to the majors at some point and his tools give the Tigers some hope that there could be an upside. He s not someone that I would expect to see putting on the English D before 2017, however. It seems he s being brought around slowly so he can develop. Tigers shouldnt necessarily look to change that.

Cespedes - hopefully the next one and he could have a return slightly less than Price and we all can keep our fingers crossed the TIgers sign him in FA too...
Davis - was hoping he would be paired with Soria to increase the return of a better prospect.
Avila - looking unlikely we ll get anything for him
Kinsler - he s on a tear but the contract isnt great

July 31st, 2015, 1:05 am
Martha Firestone Ford

I'm thinking we keep Kinsler, at least until next years trade deadline. I think he is still under contract for a couple more years. Next year in Spring Training, I expect the Tigers to tell Jones that his fastest track to the Tigers is at 2nd Base and he embraces the prospector being Iglasias's double play partner for the next decade.

July 31st, 2015, 9:05 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Cespades to the Mets for 2 RHP's .
Both are AA/AAA. Both look interesting. I think Fulmer might get a shot before this year is over.

July 31st, 2015, 5:03 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Another note about Cespades. The Tigers want him back. He was told, 2 weeks ago that we want keep him. But, we might trade him. The Tigers told him that if he is traded, go to the new team and try to win a WS. Then come back and visit us as a FA and we will give you a little more than your best deal.

Cespades will be our LFer next season. And we got 2 decent SP prospects to boot.

Ironically, the Tigers best chance to sign him as a FA was by trading him.

When the A's signed him as an international FA, Cespades had a clause put in his contract that he must be released after the 2015 season. This clause guarantees him free agency because when a team releases a player, they no longer have the right to place a qualifying offer on him. The team would have a 3 day exclusive negotiating period to re-sign him. After that, the team can have no further contact with the player until May 15.

By trading him to the Mets, the Mets have to release him. And the Tigers can step in after the 3 day exclusive period and sign him to a new contract.

July 31st, 2015, 5:29 pm
RIP Killer

The Tigers made out like bandits here. Soria looked average at best for the past 2 months, what they got is impressive since his value was very low. Fuller was a steal for Yo. If the tigers wanted Yo back, they had to trade him because of that stupid contract clause. Now, they have the same chance as everyone else. Norris alone for price was a deal, but Boyd may end up being the Alex Wilson of the trade. Crafty lefty with great control.

Not to mention, with these trades, they will now avoid the luxury tax.

July 31st, 2015, 11:26 pm
RIP Killer

Sign a decent mid level starter in the offseason (a Leake type), Yo, and a solid bullpen piece and I'll be happy.

Rotation
JV
Sanchez
Leake
Norris
Greene/Farmer/Lobster

Pen
Wilson
Hardy
AlAl
...the rest is a crapshoot...nesbitt, Ferrell, who knows...

Starters
Yo - Gose - JD
Nick - Iggy - Rat - Miggy
McCann
Vmart

Bench
Collins
Romine
Avila
bernard

Now, bring up Collins and fields and let's see what they do.

July 31st, 2015, 11:37 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

conversion02 wrote:
The Tigers made out like bandits here. Soria looked average at best for the past 2 months, what they got is impressive since his value was very low. Fuller was a steal for Yo. If the tigers wanted Yo back, they had to trade him because of that stupid contract clause. Now, they have the same chance as everyone else. Norris alone for price was a deal, but Boyd may end up being the Alex Wilson of the trade. Crafty lefty with great control.

Not to mention, with these trades, they will now avoid the luxury tax.

I agree the Tigers did well. We have to also consider that the Padres had a bunch of players to trade and were actively shopping them but ended up not making deals. So DD got a couple arms that have a chance to be mid or top of the rotation - in Fulmer and Norris and a few other guys that seem to be more than just flyers - while some other teams sat on there hands and will get nothing. We ll see if Davis or Avila can be moved in a waiver trade. You never know when an injury hits and a team may need a starting catcher or someone who could potentially hit leadoff.

As for the rest of this season - I am actually more interested in this team rather than the sputtering hopeless bid for the wildcard that never looked like it had a shot at happening. We should get a good look at Norris and maybe we ll even see Cessa and/or Boyd although it may be wiser to keep Cessa's free agency clock from starting especially since he hasnt dominated AAA yet. It d be nice if Lobstein makes it back from an injury and they can figure out was his role might be going forward as well as a chance to sort out what they have if anything among Farmer, Rondon, Ryan, VerHagen, Nesbitt, Ferrel, etc. Maybe we see some of the Tigers OF prospects like Collins, Fields, Moya get a chance against major league pitching. What Verlander does with the rest of this season will also be a big factor on if the Tigers will decide to do in the offseason. If Verlander builds off these last 2 starts and actually shows he has some pitching acumen besides just blowing the fastball past people the Tigers have a good foundation to be competitive again in 2016.

Looking towards the offseason the focus again looks like it will be pitching both with starters and late inning arms. The Tigers will have some money to pursue free agents as well as now have a few tradable prospects to shop for specific players that they like.

August 1st, 2015, 3:01 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Did you guys know that we are still paying Prince Fielder? $15 million this year and $16 million next year.

August 1st, 2015, 3:25 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Way to Go Norris!!!!!!!!!!!! If he pitches like that 7 out of every ten appearances, we will not miss Price much. If we get anything out of either of the other 2 LHP's from this trade, it is gravy.

August 2nd, 2015, 5:26 pm
RIP Killer

The next jersey I buy will be a Daniel Norris jersey. Did you see that kid lay flat out for that bunt pop up? I haven't seen that since Kenny Rogers over 10 years ago.

Billy, the trade will be worth it if he silly pitches for 5 years as a league average pitcher. First round picks are no sure thing. If we got league average with the way our drafting has been going, I'll take it. Plus, he's big league ready, not 3 years away like any other sammich round pick.

August 2nd, 2015, 11:30 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Hasn't happened yet. But, speculation is that Matt Boyd will replace Buck Farmer in the Tigers rotation.

That would be 2 of the 3 pitchers we acquired for Price, to make their debut with the Tigers.

August 4th, 2015, 5:33 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Bye Bye Dumbrowski.

August 4th, 2015, 4:21 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Way to go Boyd! Outstanding performance.

This is looking like Dumbrowskis best trade ever!

That said, we need to take this early success in stride. 1st games are great. Hopefully, their,(Norris and Boyd), 4th start looks just as impressive after the league has some tape on them. Just remember, Green looked awesome after 3 games. He looks like garbage since his 4th start.

August 5th, 2015, 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]