View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 19th, 2018, 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 2016 Tigers 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post 2016 Tigers
Should be an interesting offseason to say the least...

Manager: Who knows, my money says its not Brad Ausmus but I certainly respect him for keeping his composure down the stretch. I think he ll get another opportunity in due time but he just wasnt ready for this type of superstar laden team.

Starting pitching: Looks the Tigers have 3 guys they will count on in the rotation for next year. If Ilitch truly wants to compete than Avila needs to find a front end starter of which there may be a few available and probaly another solid guy to have in the back end at a decent value with hopefully some upside.

Current: SP Verlander (Looks like a legit No 2 right now maybe could be an ace again), SP Sanchez (big question mark but if he s healthy he s a good No 3 with No 2 upside), SP Norris (he looks ready to be in the big leagues full time and has No2 upside but it may not be for a few years, they have to count on him as a No 4/5 for now and hope he can give 6 innings per start)

Free Agents: Front/mid rotation targets: Price, Grienke, Cueto, Kazmir, Zimmerman, Iwakuma, Ian Kennedy, wei yin-chen Back end: Fister (familiar and his value should be low), Gallardo, Brett Anderson, Leake, Lincecum, Morrow

Hypothesizing they will go for a lil bit older front line guy like maybe Iwakuma so they dont need to commit a lot of years or maybe more of a mid rotation guy like Kennedy and maybe get Fister back on a short cheaper deal as he tries to rebuild his value behind an improved defense. Kennedy 4yrs/$55 million, Fister 2 years/$16 million?

2016: Verlander, Kennedy, Sanchez, Fister, Norris
prospects/fill ins: Fulmer, Ziomek, Farmer, Boyd, Lobstein, Ryan

Relief Pitching: This is too difficult really to project at this point but there arent a lot of good free agent options to help. This is really where Al Avila needs to do better for his manager then Dave Dombrowski did but I have no idea how he s going to do it especially since Bruce Rondon doesnt even look like he wants to be the guy.

CP:? They cant possibly roll with Rondon can they? Wilson isnt a true closer, maybe they go for Tyler Clippard and let him close, bring back Soria? Trade?
Setup: RHP Wilson, LHP Hardy - not a lot else they can really count on from the current team. Al Al has fizzled, Krol s given em a few good games in September, they are hoping VerHagen is a fit but he s not really a power arm. Maybe the best hope is they can have Matt Boyd and Buck Farmer be a couple of poor man's Drew Smyly's and have them project still as starters but help them out of the pen for a year. Avila really has his work cut out for him piecing this together.

Catcher - set with McCann, let Avila walk. Holaday can be the backup in 2016, he s not much of a hitter but he s a decent backstop.
DH- VMart - get him healthy and cross your fingers the 2014 version comes back.
1b - Cabrera
2B - Kinsler. Here s a big contract they might be tempted to sell high on and get something in return for especially if they were in rebuild mode but he s there best bet for 2016.
3b - Castellanos. I was hoping Marte would give him a lil run for his money but Castellanos bat is developing. He s still 23 and if he can bump his avg up another 20 points next year and get into the low 20s with HRs and get 30 doubles that d be a big difference in there lineup for next season. Was kind of hoping he d do that this year but he looks like he has a shot to do it eventually.
SS - Iglesias
UT - Romine. Machado needs more at bats in the minors.
Prospects: middle infield - Jacoby Jones. Power/speed guy needs to improve his contact rates and hitting approach.

RF - JD Martinez. If they went with a rebuild he d a great trade option. He ll get a big bump in arbitration, maybe the Tigers should buy a couple of his free agent year by just giving him a 3-4 year deal instead. He s now a capable right fielder and the hitting has proven to be legit.

CF - Gose. There are a couple guys like Denard Span and Dexter Fowler out there but Gose gives them decent defense, speed and is cheap. They improved his bat quite a bit compared to his Toronto performance, another 20 points on his OPS (on base plus slugging) and he s a pretty valuable player given his defense is still good. Say good bye to Rajai.

LF - Free Agent buy. Cespedes is playing himself out of the range of contract he should probably get. The Tigers dont have a good internal option to take over for full time and the best option if for Ilitch to open his vault again. Cespedes, Justin Upton, or Alex Gordon. Gordon and his left handed bat plus all around game would be a great fit but it wont be cheap. Maybe cheaper than Cespedes though.

4th OF - Collins has done enough to be considered for this. Moya just strikes out too much to be taken seriously for anything. Let him keep working it out in the minors where he has not shown any progress.

Overall assessment: The Tigers will have to spend a lot to be competitive in 2016 but they already have so much money tied up that I dont think they can make the necessary moves to really ensure a return to the playoffs unless they decide to go over the luxury tax which would ve maybe saved them this past season. In my opinion they may be better served to sell of some pieces like Kinsler or JD Martinez. However there farm system is so weak right now that they really dont have enough in the pipeline to do any kind of a timely rebuild. Better to stock up for the beginning of 2016 but stay under the luxury tax threshold. At least that way, if they arent competitive they ll have a couple pieces they could sell off midseason again for a couple younger players. If they want to make noise in 2016 it ll depend heavily on the starting pitching signings, a Victor Martinez rebound, and small improvements from Castellanos and Gose going from league average to slightly above average. I think they will do enough to have us excited by opening day.

September 23rd, 2015, 2:12 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Re: 2016 Tigers
Great summary. I agree with much of it.

Verlander is still an ace. The last 2 years are the after effects of that core muscle injury from the end of the 2013 season. It takes a full year to regain all your strength from that. So, it effects your velocity. Because your velocity is reduced, you compensate in how you throw in order to improve your velocity. And that lead to the arm trouble this spring. For the first time since his core muscle injury, he will be able to resume his normal off season workouts. Fuller is a legit #2 in the starting rotation right now.

I would like to see next years rotation:
Verlander, Norris, Sanchez(the pre injury 2014 version), Fister( I hated to trade him away), Gotta give Green another chance.

Farmer is at most a 2 inning guy. Lobstein is at most a 3 inning guy. And Boyd is looking about that also. They are all career long relievers.

Machado is ready for the big leagues. But, we don't have an available spot for him. I think we will trade Kinsler in a salary dump where we pick up a good young closer. And Machado takes over 2nd Base.
Jacoby Jones? At least a year away while he under goes a position switch. He might have to become a super sub and learn everything but Pitcher and Catcher.

Collins is hitting well enough to be the every day Right Fielder.

September 23rd, 2015, 9:00 am
RIP Killer

Manager - I would love to see Francona opt out of his deal now that Shapiro left. I don't see him doing that with the plethora of young pitching they have, but a guy can dream.

Starters
JV - been pitching like an ace for the past 2 months
Sanchez - Wildcard. Hopefully rebound (track record is too good, but it's all dependent on his arm).
Norris - This guy is becoming my favorite player
Leake - young, dependable, decent mid-rotation guy. 4 years, $45M
Iwakuma - 3 years, $40M

I want nothing to do with Fister. His fastball is screaming at a whopping 86 this year and the life on it is almost nothing. The best part about his 89-90 mph heater was the crazy amount of swingback action - that's now gone. He stinks

AA/AAA Starters - Ziomek, Farmer, Fulmer, Lobstein

Pen - Wilson, Hardy, Ryan, Verhagen, RH FA w/a heater (closer), Boyd, Krol (I'd rather find someone else (trade) since we have Boyd)

AA/AAA Pen callups - Rondon (knock him down a peg), Jimenez, Ferrell, etc

1B - Miggy...for the next decade
2B - Kinsler...his contract decreases every year - he becomes more and more valuable
SS - Iggy...don't expect him to hit .300 next year. I'd say .260 is more about in line with what he will do career wise.
3B - Castellanos...average should rise to .260 with about 20 dingers
LF - FA...I would love La Potencia, but he's eyeing a $150M deal now. Gordon will cost way too much for his age (a few good years and a rapid decline). Upton is overrated. Big hole!!!
CF - Gose...approach changed at the plate and he's hitting much better. He's got wheels, just needs to work on his baserunning
RF - JD...Hopefully for the next 10 years. Extend him now - 6 years, $90M
C - McCann...he's proven it. Should develop into the other McCann.

Bench
Romine (I love his style and abilities)
Collins
Davis (need him for PR and defensive LF replacement - Aoki is a possibility and would come very cheap on a down year)
Avila (he should come cheap, good defensively, lots of walks and good power - needs to come back healthy and get some consistency)

Oh, and protect the pick! Top 10 baby - 6-7 #1 type players in this year's draft.

September 23rd, 2015, 1:02 pm
National Champion

conversion02 wrote:
I want nothing to do with Fister. His fastball is screaming at a whopping 86 this year and the life on it is almost nothing. The best part about his 89-90 mph heater was the crazy amount of swingback action - that's now gone. He stinks

Couldn't agree more, I have not idea why people want him back. If I remember the rumors correctly he wanted out of Detroit very badly, hence the horrible trade.

September 23rd, 2015, 1:35 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

aManNamedSuh wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Couldn't agree more, I have not idea why people want him back. If I remember the rumors correctly he wanted out of Detroit very badly, hence the horrible trade.

If he s healthy he d be a good addition. He hasnt had any major arm issues so no reason to think that he cant throw into the low 90s again. His value will be down bc of his off year and the Tigers need to be more wise with there money. Leake is another Porcello, he s going to get $15 mill/yr and he s not really better than a healthy Fister.

I forgot the Tigers still have Shane Greene. It will be interesting to see what they think of him, ie, if they attribute all of his struggles to his injuries and what they think of his potential for recovery. Bonderman had a similar issue and never came back the same. I dont think they can count on Greene to be in the rotation, maybe put him in that bullpen mix in a battle for spots.

September 23rd, 2015, 11:47 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Manager is solved - Tigers inexplicably keeping Ausmus. Looks like a wasted opportunity to upgrade.

September 26th, 2015, 9:39 pm
RIP Killer

Not much out there in terms of upgrades. Maybe he's coming around... I guess we will see next season. The vets love him (JV, miggy, rat, vmart) and the young guys like nick, McCann, and Wilson like him. Of course, ill itch wanted him gone early in the year and DD fought him off. He is learning (unfortunately it's on the job), but the real problems are the pathetic base running, the crazy amount of clutch double plays (your know, 1st and 3rd with 1 out...a team like KC would score 2 or 3 in that situation).

Either way, there are no gems out there right now and saving the money simply by sticking with him isn't a horrible idea.

I do like how AlAv recognized and publicly stated this was a flawed team from the onset. He was vague, but he was referring to SP and RP.

September 26th, 2015, 10:58 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

conversion02 wrote:
Not much out there in terms of upgrades. Maybe he's coming around... I guess we will see next season. The vets love him (JV, miggy, rat, vmart) and the young guys like nick, McCann, and Wilson like him. Of course, ill itch wanted him gone early in the year and DD fought him off. He is learning (unfortunately it's on the job), but the real problems are the pathetic base running, the crazy amount of clutch double plays (your know, 1st and 3rd with 1 out...a team like KC would score 2 or 3 in that situation).

Either way, there are no gems out there right now and saving the money simply by sticking with him isn't a horrible idea.

I do like how AlAv recognized and publicly stated this was a flawed team from the onset. He was vague, but he was referring to SP and RP.

i think most of those problems go back to ausmus though

September 30th, 2015, 11:06 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Quote:
Detroit Tigers pitching coach Jeff Jones is retiring
22 minutes ago
AP - Sports



DETROIT (AP) -- Tigers pitching coach Jeff Jones retired Monday after a 38-year career in professional baseball, saying he was ready to spend more time with his family.

Jones became the team's pitching coach in July 2011 when Detroit fired predecessor Rick Knapp in the middle of the season. Justin Verlander went on to win the Cy Young Award that year, and Max Scherzer followed suit in 2013. Detroit won four consecutive AL Central titles thanks in large part to its starting pitching, but the staff struggled this season as the Tigers sank to last place.

''There have been some great moments that I'll cherish especially being a lifelong Tigers fan,'' Jones said. ''I've been contemplating this for a little while and at this point in my life I want to spend time with my family and grandchildren, and I am looking forward to it.''

Jones remained in his role as pitching coach when manager Jim Leyland stepped down and was replaced by Brad Ausmus after the 2013 season.

Jones was drafted by Oakland in 1977, and the Detroit native pitched in the majors for the A's from 1980-84.

Before becoming the pitching coach in 2011, Jones was the bullpen coach for the Tigers. He also was a pitching coach for Detroit's Triple-A affiliate in Toledo.

October 19th, 2015, 5:07 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

We have a Closer. The Tigers traded single A infielder Rafeal Bettencourt and a player to be named later for Francisco Rodriguez. The KRod is our new closer.

November 18th, 2015, 2:14 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Tigers have signed Jordan Zimmerman. Things are starting to shape up but probably a couple more moves to go.

November 29th, 2015, 4:33 pm
National Champion

The Legend wrote:
Tigers have signed Jordan Zimmerman. Things are starting to shape up but probably a couple more moves to go.

Solid signing, at a good price too. I'm still scratching my head about the Maybin trade though. I'd prefer someone with power to play the corner outfield positions.

November 29th, 2015, 8:29 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

aManNamedSuh wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Solid signing, at a good price too. I'm still scratching my head about the Maybin trade though. I'd prefer someone with power to play the corner outfield positions.

Well I would say they arent as good as the 2015 team that they had on opening day so hopefully there are some more moves to be made.

November 29th, 2015, 9:36 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Seriously Mike Pelfrey for 2yrs/$18 million? Im not impressed. Probably could get close to that production with Lobstein, Fulmer and Greene at a lower cost and take that Pelfrey money to fix the pen or help land a real left fielder.

December 4th, 2015, 8:18 pm
RIP Killer

Pelfrey has solid peripherals considering the twins D was terrible up the middle. The tigers are by far better. He should post a xFIP close to 3.6 or so IMO. That's pretty damn good.

For what it's worth, porcello was heads and shoulders worse than pelfrey and Ricky is making 2.5 times what pelfrey is making.

December 8th, 2015, 10:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next