View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 20th, 2018, 7:08 pm



Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Max Scherzer. 
Author Message
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9039
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Max Scherzer.
So glad we let him go FA so that we could resign Price last year!!!!!!


NOT !!!!!!!!

He just tied a major league record striking out 20 Tigers in a game.


May 11th, 2016, 9:46 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10955
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Max Scherzer.
Did you really want a 215M deal over the next 15 years? I don't care how good he is, that contract for a power pitcher is assinying, just look at JV.

Also, nobody was clamoring for Max and his 4.5 era coming into today...

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


May 11th, 2016, 10:52 pm
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9039
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Max Scherzer.
It is what it is. That is the going rate for an Ace in this day and age. Scherzer was, without a doubt, our best pitcher, even though he never pitched in the 1st Starter role for us due to Verlander showing up on the scene 1st and being worthy of the spot himself.


May 12th, 2016, 12:16 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10955
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Max Scherzer.
True, but you also can't have 2 pitchers at $30M/per. That's just nuts. Personally, I'd rather have the likes of J-Zimm and F-Rod rather than just Max. Also, Max has a funky delivery. The concern has always been when he's going to get hurt, not if. That's a lot of cash to invest just for a guy to blow out his UCL or something after 2-3 years. Good thing going for Max is that he doesn't have a lot of mileage on his arm, compared to JV or Price, who have been run like sled dogs for 10 years.

They've slimmed back a bit (budget bullpen moves, selling off Cespy, Price, and Soria) and then Illitch went hog-wild for Upton.

Upton can opt-out and I'm hoping he starts raking simply for the sake of increasing his value and opting out. That's the Tigers saving grace...really, what I think they were hoping for when he signed. A couple expensive years and then Moya will be in the field full time and Stewart (absolute beast - demolishing pitchers in Lakeland) will be borderline ready.

In the next two years, they've got a lot coming off the books (these are ballpark $ - at least $85M/yr)
JD (free agency) $15M (next year's arb $)
Upton (opt-out, possibly) $22M
Sanchez $18M
Kinsler $12M
VMart $18M
F-Rod $10M
Pelfrey $8M (thank God)

2018 is looking to be a real stink-fest if we don't have some of these farm guys producing. Need Norris, Greene, Fulmer, Boyd, J Jones, Moya, Stewart, etc to pan out to at least average everyday players, with one or two breaking out like Nicky C has.

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


May 12th, 2016, 2:18 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5043
Location: WSU
Post Re: Max Scherzer.
conversion02 wrote:
Did you really want a 215M deal over the next 15 years? I don't care how good he is, that contract for a power pitcher is assinying, just look at JV.

Also, nobody was clamoring for Max and his 4.5 era coming into today...


dude dont bother, he was crying about edwin jackson being traded for scherzer for about 2 years after that deal...


May 12th, 2016, 9:07 pm
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9039
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Max Scherzer.
The Legend wrote:
conversion02 wrote:
Did you really want a 215M deal over the next 15 years? I don't care how good he is, that contract for a power pitcher is assinying, just look at JV.

Also, nobody was clamoring for Max and his 4.5 era coming into today...


dude dont bother, he was crying about edwin jackson being traded for scherzer for about 2 years after that deal...


Really? I think you are stretching the truth just a little bit there.

Yes, I initially did not like that trade. Jackson was pitching very well for us at the time. But, once I seen what we had in Scherzer, and then watched him grow as a pitcher, the more I liked the trade.


May 13th, 2016, 1:20 am
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9039
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: Max Scherzer.
conversion02 wrote:
True, but you also can't have 2 pitchers at $30M/per. That's just nuts. Personally, I'd rather have the likes of J-Zimm and F-Rod rather than just Max. Also, Max has a funky delivery. The concern has always been when he's going to get hurt, not if. That's a lot of cash to invest just for a guy to blow out his UCL or something after 2-3 years. Good thing going for Max is that he doesn't have a lot of mileage on his arm, compared to JV or Price, who have been run like sled dogs for 10 years.

They've slimmed back a bit (budget bullpen moves, selling off Cespy, Price, and Soria) and then Illitch went hog-wild for Upton.

Upton can opt-out and I'm hoping he starts raking simply for the sake of increasing his value and opting out. That's the Tigers saving grace...really, what I think they were hoping for when he signed. A couple expensive years and then Moya will be in the field full time and Stewart (absolute beast - demolishing pitchers in Lakeland) will be borderline ready.

In the next two years, they've got a lot coming off the books (these are ballpark $ - at least $85M/yr)
JD (free agency) $15M (next year's arb $)
Upton (opt-out, possibly) $22M
Sanchez $18M
Kinsler $12M
VMart $18M
F-Rod $10M
Pelfrey $8M (thank God)

2018 is looking to be a real stink-fest if we don't have some of these farm guys producing. Need Norris, Greene, Fulmer, Boyd, J Jones, Moya, Stewart, etc to pan out to at least average everyday players, with one or two breaking out like Nicky C has.


The Nats have Scherzer and Strasburg locked up under similar contracts now. But, Strasburgs new contract don't kick in until next season.


May 13th, 2016, 1:25 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10955
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Max Scherzer.
Yeah, and we have Miggy signed to a $250M deal too. Can't have it all. If you'd rather have Scherzer than Miggy, so be it. A team can only have so many $200M deals on the books. The Nats have 1. The Tigers have 2...plus a couple more over $100M. Don't forget the Prince money they're still paying out.

_________________
_____
Draft defense - CB, LB, DT, LB...WR/KR
Image


May 13th, 2016, 1:35 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.